The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 05/02/2020 at 23:01, HoustonRover said:

Same Mendy that we moved from France and was Pat Shan shipped off to the pub leagues but still getting paid?

The same laddie aye?

That's irrelevant. 

The player was having a great time at Kelty and doing very well by most accounts. 

He's probably pissed off that he's now sitting in the stand on a Saturday, knowing that he's probably not going to play much, if at all. 

It'd be more worrying if he wasn't raging about that. 

That's irrelevant. 
The player was having a great time at Kelty and doing very well by most accounts. 
He's probably pissed off that he's now sitting in the stand on a Saturday, knowing that he's probably not going to play much, if at all. 
It'd be more worrying if he wasn't raging about that. 

f**k him, I couldn’t care if he was having a great time. We lost a centre half to injury and needed to cut his loan short to come back as cover. We pay his wages, if we need him available, even if not in squads then so be it.

So one minute if we fail to get promoted it's a disaster and now just because we have finally managed to get a decent deal for one of our players and are where we should be in the league 2and at worst failure to go up will be ok. Regardless of folk on Facebook or any other part of social media MOST fans won't be happy with failure.

17 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

So one minute if we fail to get promoted it's a disaster and now just because we have finally managed to get a decent deal for one of our players and are where we should be in the league 2and at worst failure to go up will be ok. Regardless of folk on Facebook or any other part of social media MOST fans won't be happy with failure.

There’s a pretty realistic scenario that we could finish 2nd to Falkirk and then lose to Partick Thistle in the play offs. It would be extremely disappointing but I don’t see how it could be regarded as a ‘failure’ given the respective budgets of the sides we would be facing. 

Last season was a failure for many reasons. I don’t really blame McGlynn for too many of those but I can understand why some do. However, this season we were always going to be up against it facing a Falkirk side with a far superior budget. Obviously the position we are in now we should be looking to win it but I think most Rovers fans would have taken a strong 2nd place and running Falkirk close at the start of the season given their signings and budget. The play offs are then a little bit of a lottery although we were close last year with a poor side.

We are a far better team than last year, play some excellent football, have consistently one of the youngest sides in the league, developed our own youth players and sit top of the League, in the Challenge Cup semi final and were 15 minutes from eliminating the 5th best team in the country in their own back yard in the Scottish Cup. You are right there are still 3 months to go and if we were to collapse to 4th/5th JM would right be in trouble but surely even you can concede he has done an excellent job so far this season?

What did Hank day about dribbling mentalists?

If we fail to go up it will be a failure.

But we failed last year and we’re in much better shape as a football club from top to bottom this year, and the majority of that is down to McGlynn. The board deserve credit too for giving the manager the resources to do the job he has done.

The Bowie deal is a good one bit doesn’t really come into it for me- the Coulson lad signing and Tait extending his contract is far more indicative of the feel-good factor the manager has slowly brought back.

Yes, the most important thing is promotion but with the way this club is being run currently we will achieve that sooner rather than later.

43 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

FD076300-F5EA-43FF-BA9C-B5CD5C334DB8.jpeg

There’s a pretty realistic scenario that we could finish 2nd to Falkirk and then lose to Partick Thistle in the play offs. It would be extremely disappointing but I don’t see how it could be regarded as a ‘failure’ given the respective budgets of the sides we would be facing. 
Last season was a failure for many reasons. I don’t really blame McGlynn for too many of those but I can understand why some do. However, this season we were always going to be up against it facing a Falkirk side with a far superior budget. Obviously the position we are in now we should be looking to win it but I think most Rovers fans would have taken a strong 2nd place and running Falkirk close at the start of the season given their signings and budget. The play offs are then a little bit of a lottery although we were close last year with a poor side.
We are a far better team than last year, play some excellent football, have consistently one of the youngest sides in the league, developed our own youth players and sit top of the League, in the Challenge Cup semi final and were 15 minutes from eliminating the 5th best team in the country in their own back yard in the Scottish Cup. You are right there are still 3 months to go and if we were to collapse to 4th/5th JM would right be in trouble but surely even you can concede he has done an excellent job so far this season?
He has done a good job this season but our main objective this season is promotion failure to gain promotion again is still a failure. As a I said most fans will see it the same way I'm sure.

What did Hank day about dribbling mentalists?

If we fail to go up it will be a failure.

But we failed last year and we’re in much better shape as a football club from top to bottom this year, and the majority of that is down to McGlynn. The board deserve credit too for giving the manager the resources to do the job he has done.

The Bowie deal is a good one bit doesn’t really come into it for me- the Coulson lad signing and Tait extending his contract is far more indicative of the feel-good factor the manager has slowly brought back.

Yes, the most important thing is promotion but with the way this club is being run currently we will achieve that sooner rather than later.
The last two seasons we failed to gain promotion and it was seen as a failure but to fail again it will be seen as some sort of improvement. Aye very good!

When pipped at the post by Ayr, that was a failure as we had a great gap to get over the line, and Vaughan missed a sitter at the death to win the league.. Let's not even talk about the playoffs.

Last season was a massive disappointment as the only full time team and getting absolutely turned over by Arbroath with a team that looked like they didn't even care and we had the best striker in the division and that we've had for years, and yet came nowhere near challenging for the league.

This season, we've went to the hybrid model, have been more realistic in what we can achieve with full time Falkirk and another hybrid team and have a team that play for the club. The club has been transformed from the past two seasons and there aren't many negatives surrounding the current situation with the club. Of course we want promotion this season, but anyone saying they expected it at the beginning of the season is kidding themselves. Even now, it is an optimism that we are top of the league and a hope that we can stay there rather than how we felt the past two seasons in that when we were top we should stay there and should see out the league. The league is far more competitive this season. I personally believed Falkirk would run away with it (and they may still well do) and given our playoff track record, I don't expect us to get up via that way. If we don't win this league, it's incredibly harsh to say it has been a failure, even for an absolute roaster like Frank. It will be disappointing, yes, but the club has been come on leaps and bounds this season and we appear to have steadied the ship.

On 30/01/2020 at 12:36, Wee Sandy said:

What an absolute joy it must be to manage the Rovers!! 

You have McGlynn and Smith working with, and improving, a precocious talent such as  Bowie, 6 figure sum coming in and, on the other hand, getting "hoots" from our resident experts on here about his loan dealings! 

I seem to remember similar advice/derision from the same crew when we brought in Nisbet et al.

Don't know much about Steven McLean but I'm sure he will be no worse that the likes of Rudi Skacel, Jon Daly  and others.

Credit where credit is due............however it seems as though McGlynn is damned (by some) if he does and damned if he doesn't!!  

Consider, for a minute with what McGlynn and Smith have actually done since taking over the legacy left by  GF Locke, Yogi Bear and Baz                        Sheeesh!

In the light of all the adulation for our Manager and Assistant I had to air this post again!!                           "One John McGlynn, there's only......ONE JOHN McGLYNN!! " 😎

Mcglynn has been brought here to win promotion, so if we dont do that at the second time of asking for him then yes it would be seen as a failure.

However the way he has gone about things is encouraging. He has actually tried to build a team, rather than a random selection of players to fill a squad. He's brought in absolute quality like Hendry, some good League 1 players, some seasoned campaigners, and some promising young players. A really nice mix.

If we had kept Vaughan and S. Anderson fit we would be miles ahead. All ifs and buts, but its a real shame. It his however testament to the management team that we have had the injury crisis we have, yet stayed top.

The club has a community feel, are trying to do things in a methodical and measured way, and most importantly going to the Rovers is now fun again. It might not happen for us this season, but foundations are being laid and it feels like we are trying to actually build something.

I'm 100% behind the manager. At the end of the day, he cares as much about what happens on a Sat as we do, and his players do also. He's brought some pride back and is making strides to build the club again. 

It's absolutely vital we all stick together.

It’s not just the quality and work rate that he’s changed, it’s even the passion shown by some of the players that’s been there for a few years.

Mainly Bene. For the past couple of years, it’s looked like he hasn’t really cared about what’s been happening at the club. Most fans( myself included) were questioning whether he’s the right man to be captain. We all saw his reaction at Full time last week( absolutely fantastic to see) and his reaction at the second Livingston goal going in as well( He was absolutely devastated). It shows that Bene is the correct man to lead this team to promotion.

Think it’s had it’s day, unfortunately. Most of the boys who played previously are either now too old, too injured or now play for other teams.
The cost of pitch hire, bus hire etc have rocketed and as Hank states decent players are with other clubs. Its a shame because this is the perfect platform to run it on.

Failure to go up is not OK. Far from it. A decent player will always shine though irrespective of where we finish. The financial deal for Bowie is as I would expect of my club looking to gain financially. The fact we have made a Roger Hunt of player negotiations it over the last few seasons doesn't mean this should be classed as any leeway to promotion.

There's alot of positives about the club right now. Mcglynn and Smith are rightly given their fair share of the credit for it but the board we have, are attempting to get us running without losing money every season and have negotiated what appears to be a good deal for Bowie. There are deals in place to pay off a large sum of our debt and we are producing young players that are making a positive impact on the pitch. Not going up this season would be a failure, though I doubt many thought we would be top at this stage with falkirk in the league. The way the club is building itself up after such a shambolic period is excellent to see. Long may it continue.

I certainly agree that it appears good decisions are being made with regard to the future of the club. A failure to gain promotion would be disappointing, but also would have to be considered with the possible costs and downfalls of trying to reach the promotion and falling short.

I’d much rather have a financially solid Rovers club, developing young talent and building a team capable of getting promotion next year than the stumbling, shambolic band of mercenaries at Falkirk, who might well struggle badly next year if promoted.