The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just had it confirmed by grant Murray that gullan won't be back with us this season [emoji22]
Must have been about mid November onward that gullan started scoring fairly regularly? I don't think he's as big a loss as alot of people do. He's done his bit though and good luck to the guy.

Mcglynn is probably the best manager we've had in my time supporting the club. I grew up with the cup winning team.

I’d agree with that. I’ve supported the team since around 1989ish and I’d say Mcgylnn is up there with Nicholl. When you take into account the gulf in finances and the obvious love for the club that John has, he shades it for me.

Must have been about mid November onward that gullan started scoring fairly regularly? I don't think he's as big a loss as alot of people do. He's done his bit though and good luck to the guy.
Murray has him down as a potential starter every week, just needs to get a goal or two and he'll kick on from there. On a side note, even though things didn't work out for bert, he's a top bloke and had nothing for praise for the rovers.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

I need to get out of this mindset but each week I’m expecting the inevitable to happen and we’ll slip up and/or find ourselves knocked off top stop but this team keeps surprising me. Granted nothing is set in stone yet and there’ll no doubt be more twists and turns to come but in the meantime fair fucks to McGlynn and the team - emphasis on the word team btw because last season we had our passengers but there’s something about this seasons group of players. It’s refreshing to see man to a man a bit of bite, passion and drive. Think McGlynn has got his combination of players spot on and you can sense what it would mean to him as someone with a genuine love for the club to get us promoted - particularly with what he, and the club, have had to deal with in terms of injuries. Proud of the lads. COYR!

I have a niggling feeling that this season may turn out a bit like 2010/11, where we led for most of the season then fell apart near the end, hope i'm wrong.

21 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’d agree with that. I’ve supported the team since around 1989ish and I’d say Mcgylnn is up there with Nicholl. When you take into account the gulf in finances and the obvious love for the club that John has, he shades it for me.

Pish! The Nicholl team(s) were  outstanding. The best footballing team I've ever seen without question (92-93)

Mcglynn is great and I love the guy but don't kid yourself. He hasn't got it in him to get us to the top league 

Edited by pantene proV

Murray has him down as a potential starter every week, just needs to get a goal or two and he'll kick on from there. On a side note, even though things didn't work out for bert, he's a top bloke and had nothing for praise for the rovers.
Iv no doubt he will go on to do it for hibs but I don't think losing him will define our season. Bert is a top bloke and was always a pleasure to speak to. Got nothing but good things to say about him and gullan for that matter.
Pish! The Nicholl team(s) were  outstanding. The best footballing team I've ever seen without question (92-93)
Mcglynn is great and I love the guy but don't kid yourself. He hasn't got it in him to get us to the top league 
The point was about the manager, not the teams. Ser Jimmy obviously had better teams. Could he do a rebuild like Ser John though?

39 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Nicholl had a more than solid foundation to work with after Conner left. 

Mcglynn has inherited an absolute fucking mess, both times. 

The two situations are very different. 

Indeed he did, a very solid base. But he had to move the team to full time and assembled a title winning squad within the year in a hugely competitive league. 3 league defeats playing the most attractive football ever seen at Stark's.  That takes management. Overhauled the whole shebang he did. 

Mcglynn inherited a mess first time, second time we were 2nd top and unbeaten (unbalanced squad notwithstanding)

But yeah, situations are very different. There's always a danger to live in the present and denigrate the past but there's no contest - Nicholl's the better manager in our history. 

Edited by pantene proV

Indeed he did, a very solid base. But he had to move the team to full time and assembled a title winning squad within the year in a hugely competitive league. 3 league defeats playing the most attractive football ever seen at Stark's.  That takes management. Overhauled the whole shebang he did. 
Mcglynn inherited a mess first time, second time we were 2nd top and unbeaten (unbalanced squad notwithstanding)
But yeah, situations are very different. There's always a danger to live in the present and denigrate the past but there's no contest - Nicholl's the better manager in our history. 
Imagine having to move part of a team to part time and build a title winning squad. Imagine having to attempt it ten years later again due to the board being shite.

It's different times with all that in fairness. We are lucky we've had these guys in cherge. Both excellent managers for us.

1 hour ago, pantene proV said:

Agree with this. The 92-93 team was phenomenal. Best I’ve ever witnessed. Also important to remember that we’ve won nothing yet this season. We could still easily end up in the play offs and not going up. Hopefully not. 

But McGlynn is fantastic and has turned the club around twice now. I’d put him in the top three managers in my time

Nicholl, Connor, McGlynn in that order 

13 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Imagine having to move part of a team to part time and build a title winning squad. Imagine having to attempt it ten years later again due to the board being shite.

It's different times with all that in fairness. We are lucky we've had these guys in cherge. Both excellent managers for us.

Nicholl did it in the league above, with half a dozen other established full-time teams bud. 

As you say, different strokes and all that. Great guys 

7 hours ago, pantene proV said:

Agree totally. McGlynn for me is more in the mould of Frank Connor. What Nicholl (and Harvey) did was incomparable. And it was done playing a style of football that is unlikely to be bettered as long as any of us live. 

7 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

I have a niggling feeling that this season may turn out a bit like 2010/11, where we led for most of the season then fell apart near the end, hope i'm wrong.

The Falkirk game at the end of the season is all set up to be the league 1 equivalent of that East End decider in 2011. 

Hopefully with a happier ending. 

Ive been watching the rovers for almost 30 years and I agree mcglynn is more of a frank connor character. Sir Jimmy is perhaps the most fortunate manager we ever had (not to take anything away from him) in that he came into a perfect storm of a set up, talented crop of youngsters and a board that went f**k it let's do full time. The football that side played has never been bettered.

That said the current crop of youngsters coming through, Bowie, Smith and Tait are hopefully the beginning but it's great to see again and you never know what might happen.

As far as I've always been aware we were very lucky to get Jimmy Nic. Jim Leishman was all but to be announced as the new manager when someone along the road (Halbeath that is!) suggested/asked for Jimmy to have the experience of an interview as he was thinking of going into coaching and to hold back on going public until it was done.

He was invited to a board meeting.

The rest is history!😁

17 minutes ago, embow said:

As far as I've always been aware we were very lucky to get Jimmy Nic. Jim Leishman was all but to be announced as the new manager when someone along the road (Halbeath that is!) suggested/asked for Jimmy to have the experience of an interview as he was thinking of going into coaching and to hold back on going public until it was done.

He was invited to a board meeting.

The rest is history!😁

IIRC Leishman was asked by the directors  if he’d ditch the panto, he said no, “a boy fae Kelty canae give up that money”

So board looked elsewhere 

11 hours ago, pantene proV said:

We seem to have overlooked Martin Harvey (RIP) who was said to be the real talent behind our 90's successes. Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of Sir Jimmy!!