The New Raith Rovers Thread

£200k is the figure the club reckons is the difference between Championship and League One football. 

Now... no one is going to pay that for a Scottish League One player, but I will leave it to the floor to connect the dots. 

11 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Bowie would need to be scoring 25+ goals and really taking the pish to get a chance of first team football in the top league in Scotland and it would need to be 40+ goals for Englands top league. The scouts in England and the top 4 or so in Scotland tend to entice players away at a much younger age which go under the radar unless it's daft money.

As for our kiddy fitba just being shit, it mirrors England in that it's mainly the Glasgow pair who are willing to spend 6 figures taking a young un who might make that small percentage to make it to the first team.

Unless Bowie is making the step up to the championship (Scottish)he ain't making a serious challenge for first team football as far as I'm concerned, he needs to progress naturally not giant leaps.

I wasn't saying that he would walk into a Premier team, simply that he very well may find himself playing first team football even if he does move (as suggested, on loan back at Raith for this season makes total sense). Suggesting that Bowie should knock back whatever deal is thrown his way because he might have to play some more youth football (as a 17 year old) is silly though. 

£200K is pocket change for the kind of clubs down south that are supposedly interested. We’re in the strong selling position here, in that we don’t want to sell, don’t have to sell and supposedly have several interested buyers.

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wasn't saying that he would walk into a Premier team, simply that he very well may find himself playing first team football even if he does move (as suggested, on loan back at Raith for this season makes total sense). Suggesting that Bowie should knock back whatever deal is thrown his way because he might have to play some more youth football (as a 17 year old) is silly though. 

I never suggested anything towards what Bowie should do, he isn't and won't get the profile in the 3rd tier and if sold now will be peanuts for Raith, 200,000 is hilarious, you would be looking at 5 figure fee with sell on percentages that isn't hard cash.

My opinion is that he would be better learning, which he will playing first team and not kiddy fitba in both Scotland or England which is where he is now.

Falkirk signed many of the English kiddy league players under Hartley who were out their depth in their 20s to real football.

There isn't a correct way to become a top player but experience sets you up better than being judged at a young age to reach success or simply a career in football....

See Biabi and Blair

1 hour ago, Offshore Rover said:

Where are people getting this £200k figure from? We will be lucky to get £100k this window or the summer one. 

Shankland was rumored at £200k+ and he was on form for at least 2 seasons scoring 20+ goals in each. Bowie has had a on off half season and scored 10. 

I am utterly astonished people think we will get anywhere near £200k for him

Plucked out of thin air I guess

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

The issue was with the clause he had, allowing him to discuss terms with another team if we didn’t go up. Seemingly it wasn’t a straight forward ‘he can leave if we don’t get promoted’

Aye, the way I thought it developed was that Nisbet was out of contract in the summer, he signed a contract extension around Christmas? With a £0 release clause if Raith didn't get promoted, it was about as much as the Raith board could have done. 

Realistically if you had signed him on a two year deal last summer someone would've filled Barry Smith in with a shovel. 

On Bowie there's no chance anyone would pay 200,000. He has shown potential and he's got fantastic physical attributes, however he's also playing against predominantly part time players, while he himself is full time, I can't see him moving because I can't see Raith being willing to accept what other teams are wanting to pay. 

Edited by Grant228

If Bowie was a falkirk player I'd be raging at the thought of selling him for £100k. The lad clearly has a bright future, disasters aside. We got £100k for Tony gallagher getting a run out in a cup game for Liverpool

f**k it, if that's what he's going for falkirk should buy him!

As much as the £200,000 figure is being plucked from thin air, it’s very much a sum Rovers should be aspiring to if he does go in either this window or the next one.

Crystal Palace reportedly paid around that for Scott Banks from Dundee United, a player whose experience to date is four starts in League Two.

I suppose it depends how desperate Rovers are for cash, but anything less than £150,000 and some decent add ons and they’ll have sold themselves extremely short.

Tait is, in my opinion, the superior prospect. Both will hopefully remain with Raith through next year (hopefully in the Championship), and then we’ll see what the offers are. As is noted above, current offers will be no more than 5 figures, unless an English team feels froggy and try’s to grab him, but he simply hasn’t shown enough for that interest yet.

Since they are signed, we have some wiggle room to allow development, but there is always the possibility of regression or injury. I agree that any sell on percentage offer should be judged based upon how much first team time Bowie would get in the new location. That is, £75k plus a 5% sell on is worth more from a Championship team he will start on versus £50k plus a 10% sell on from a Premier League team where he’ll warm the bench.

In either case, I wouldn’t sell right now.

3 hours ago, RavyDavy said:

All of this from a 2 paragraph article on the FFP facebook page... this is SSN Transfer Centre level of analysis emoji1787.png

This...........................all WE know is.................................................................. we DON'T know!!