The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Let’s not forget, the club are still paying Bowie an apprentice contract (£100 p/w??) this season and next year. It won’t be until year three that his new deal kicks in. If they wanted to keep him, why not pay him decent money now instead of signing Kenny Miller?

I think Kieran is on more than that since we improved his contract to tie him to us until 2022, Dylan Tait to be given a similar deal soon I would hope.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Sorry if this has been covered before but what is going on in the away end, why is the bottom 5th had the seats removed?

I thought it was so they could be taken to chuck at Bayview. 

38 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I thought Bates did have a small sell on clause. Problem being he left rangers for piss all. 5% of piss all still being piss all.

Yep. No fee, but we got Ryan Hardie on loan and got to keep Scott Roberts permanently. 

A great deal for the club, said Eric Drysdale. Gary Locke then stumbled and admitted the club received no fee immediately. 

Of course his contract at Rangers ran out and we left for Germany for nothing.

I had planned to stop becoming riled at historic mismanagement, but there I have gone and failed again. 

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yep. No fee, but we got Ryan Hardie on loan and got to keep Scott Roberts permanently. 

A great deal for the club, said Eric Drysdale. Gary Locke then stumbled and admitted the club received no fee immediately. 

Of course his contract at Rangers ran out and we left for Germany for nothing.

I had planned to stop becoming riled at historic mismanagement, but there I have gone and failed again. 

I’m pretty sure I’ll still be getting riled when I think about the sheer ineptness of that period and the Anelka farce when I’m in my eighties. 

On Bowie, it would be gutting to see another talented prospect leave early but the financial situation we are in and the losses we are sustaining at the moment mean that if there’s a decent offer, he’ll go.  Will regrettably accept that but only as long as it is managed better than recent disasters and he doesn’t go for buttons. 

I think Kieran will possibly go either this window or next but I think the club will be holding out for £200,000+, on top of that they should be looking to have him on loan and for add ons (1st team appearances, International caps and a sell on clause). I don't think they will be rolled over on this one as there is no immediate hurry. Yes there's a debt issue but it's internal and to an extent serviceable. Kieran is on a 2.5 year deal and as such cannot be taken for peanuts.

Best thing that can happen is he stays where he is for now and gets an U19 call up in March (Billy Stark has watched him) , should he also finish the season our top scorer (or near it) his value will rise accordingly and then when he eventually does go it'll be right for both him and the club.

If for instance we already value him at £200k he is out with the budget of Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Hibs, Livvi and probably the old firm too for that matter as £1/4M is a too big gamble for Scottish clubs. However that kind of money represents a worthwhile gamble for English championship sides and for English Premier league sides it's mere pocket change.

Anything can happen though and if he goes this window I'm confident it'll be for well over £100,000 with additional clauses and I think he will be loaned back, as at 17  he's far too young to fend for himself. In the words of his Grandad Bill, any club buying him will need to buy his maw as well, he canny even bile a kettle!"

Where are people getting this £200k figure from? We will be lucky to get £100k this window or the summer one. 

Shankland was rumored at £200k+ and he was on form for at least 2 seasons scoring 20+ goals in each. Bowie has had a on off half season and scored 10. 

I am utterly astonished people think we will get anywhere near £200k for him

Edited by Offshore Rover

Where are people getting this £200k figure from? We will be lucky to get £100k this window or the summer one. 

Shankland was rumored at £200k+ and he was on form for at least 2 seasons scoring 20+ goals in each. Bowie has had a on off half season and scored 10. 

Then we should be rejecting any offers made, as anything less won’t put much of a dent into the debt we’re in. Therefore, why sell him for nothing now when we’ll get far more this time next year?

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

No other team in the country capable of developing him?

The best education for Bowie has to be first team football. He will be playing kiddy fitba unless loans come if it's Scotland, whereas England he will hung out if he doesn't reach that very small percentage who make it to the first team as they have cash to burn on that small percentage.

Falkirk had Biabi and Blair who played small amounts of football and are now playing for Stenhousemuir, whereas the others that left after playing a decent amount of games first team are now plying their trade at a decent level.

Swansea, Hull, Rangers, Millwall to name a few.

Bowie was a big coo against us tho, that comes with the territory of young players tho and the standard in this league, anyone with anything should stick out which doesn't always prove the case one league up.

Yeah £200k should be the mark we're looking for if we sell him. He's not long turned 17 and under contract til 2022. There is absolutely no reason to sell him for any less, especially if English championship sides are interested. Let's not forget one of them recently paid £750k for Jordan Thompson...

14 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Shankland was 22 before he showed much, in that season with Ayr. 

To show the physicality and promise he has at 17 is rare. 

Just now, MrDust said:

The best education for Bowie has to be first team football. He will be playing kiddy fitba unless loans come if it's Scotland, whereas England he will hung out if he doesn't reach that very small percentage who make it to the first team as they have cash to burn on that small percentage.

Falkirk had Biabi and Blair who played small amounts of football and are now playing for Stenhousemuir, whereas the others that left after playing a decent amount of games first team are now plying their trade at a decent level.

Swansea, Hull, Rangers, Millwall to name a few.

Bowie was a big coo against us tho, that comes with the territory of young players tho and the standard in this league, anyone with anything should stick out which doesn't always prove the case one league up.

There's no suggestion that Bowie won't get first team football even if he moves, in fact the  suggestion is that Raith will insist he plays with them for the rest of the season. Sounds like a win-win for everyone here tbh.

Jay Fulton might have played a lot of football for Falkirk but he spent about 4 years playing "kiddy fitba" down south after he moved, and it took Swansea being relegated and budgets being cut before he was given a proper run in the side. Is it solely our "kiddy fitba" that's shite for development?

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There's no suggestion that Bowie won't get first team football even if he moves, in fact the  suggestion is that Raith will insist he plays with them for the rest of the season. Sounds like a win-win for everyone here tbh.

Jay Fulton might have played a lot of football for Falkirk but he spent about 4 years playing "kiddy fitba" down south after he moved, and it took Swansea being relegated and budgets being cut before he was given a proper run in the side. Is it solely our "kiddy fitba" that's shite for development?

Bowie would need to be scoring 25+ goals and really taking the pish to get a chance of first team football in the top league in Scotland and it would need to be 40+ goals for Englands top league. The scouts in England and the top 4 or so in Scotland tend to entice players away at a much younger age which go under the radar unless it's daft money.

As for our kiddy fitba just being shit, it mirrors England in that it's mainly the Glasgow pair who are willing to spend 6 figures taking a young un who might make that small percentage to make it to the first team.

Unless Bowie is making the step up to the championship (Scottish)he ain't making a serious challenge for first team football as far as I'm concerned, he needs to progress naturally not giant leaps.