The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Hottoddy22 said:

Time to drop Munro and bring in Thompson

Who's he?

Oh, Thomson, OK.

Missed the spelling the first post...getting so I need better glasses.

Well, anyway, a reworked post from yesterday for Grummy:

So what is in the cupboard...when healthy, we have a solid back five (Miller, McKay, Davo, Bene, MacDonald) with Watson capable of covering for Miller (and possibly RCB), and Mendy (with questions about his ability at this level) capable of playing any CB (or possibly RB). We have no real backup for MacDonald, but would probably stay afloat with either Bene or Watson out there, without the attacking threat or use Dingwall there at risk to our defending. A back four plan is looking like a monumentally bad choice for us after this Montrose fiasco, it cripples our attacking down the wing, but reduces our issues at starting defenders.

In the middle, Matthews seems perfect at defensive mid, Hendry at mid, Tait at mid or attacking mid. Available are Dingwall to the left, and GAndo to the right.

Armstrong is hopefully back soon, the club lists him as a mid, but he seems more of a winger. Allan, if he’s coming back soon will reduce our forward worries a bit, but will take time to get in form and didn’t play well earlier this year. GAndo is also capable of filling a forward role.

Baird is pretty much our striker for better or worse, and has paired reasonably well with Bowie. Smith is more of an unknown, but seems could plug in for Bowie most easily. Bowie and Smith would be interesting, but risky...the minds that would blow with Tait and Hendry behind Bowie and Smith would be numerous.

What do we absolutely, really need? A proven forward was at the top of the list before the Montrose game, but the play there showed we aren't as skint as we thought. Also, the pending return of Armstrong will help a lot and ease the need if he can return to form.

Other than that, until we get injuries, we can get along, but the worries about Davo right now show just how stretched our backline is at the current time...and with that thought, I'll move a proven CB/LB to the top of our shopping list.

At keeper, I wonder if Ross is telling JMcG that Munro might be available after the season, and that’s why Thomson continues to ride the pine. Munro has looked uncomfortable in the air since his return from the dinged shoulder, so I think we should run out Thomson. Though he hasn’t played in anger in over a year, it's time. We have cover at keeper, with two proven keepers, plus a last ditch part-time coach and a child. 

Edited by TxRover

It would be interesting to see the stats for how many goals Bowie has when playing with baird compared to playing without. He seems to score more when paired with him.

Personally I'd say we need a striker regardless of scoring 4 today and we could do with being able to bring in someone to split up davo and bene if we're playing a back four and sando is out for most of the season. I'm not sure if mcglynn will split them if mckay and mendy are the only other options. I'd have Thomson getting some game time, munro needs a break and has been making too many mistakes for a team wanting to win the league. If Armstrong can get fit and show his form that got him his move to county then we're sorted but I'm not sure if that was maybe just a purple patch of form for him.

IMG_1477.jpg
Not too sure on the Peaky Blinder’s look but he’d be a great option if the rumours are true about him signing after the game. Gullan playing today might all but confirm we won’t get him back. I’d like us to look at another striker as a back up option if Miller really doesn’t work out, Mansell’s stats certainly don’t excite me.

41 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Poisonous Kenny. 3 clubs in 1 year and bombed out of each for being a weapon. What can possibly go wrong? I think it’s telling that bottom of the league Partick Thistle never seen him useful to influence their revival. I’m second guessing but he might see himself as Raiths manager by the end of the season...

Or he’ll score 2 winners against f*lkirk and win us the title 

Could we really do better? Mcglynn has been trying to do that for 26 days in this window so far, and has been knocked back 4 times. The Gullan situation isn't in our hands so don't know what else there is. Chance a loan signing and hope they are decent? 

We can't just rely on Bowie, Baird and Smith. Smith is untested really and Bowie has fantastic potential, but is still young and raw. Granted we scored a good few goals yesterday, but away to Forfar we were crying out for a centre forward to get on the end of those great cross balls. 

Miller is not my first choice, I doubt he's anyone's at this stage of his career. But he's a vastly experienced centre forward who scores goals. Granted its a risk given his age, but we have a pressing need to get out this league in the next 4 months. Its worth a gamble, and you can't say he wouldn't buried some of the glaring chances that have cost us points this season. 

Think the Skacel comparisons are lazy. He was brought in as Lockes mate having not played in a few years. I'd like to think we owe Mcglynn a bit more credit than that.

Totally different to the Partick situation in that he's coming into one of, if not the, best sides in the league who are creating and missing multiple chances per game. 

We are a League 1 club who have lost out on every target so far in this window. I'm not really sure what other credible options are out there. 

Edited by CALDERON

Could we really do better? Mcglynn has been trying to do that for 26 days in this window so far, and has been knocked back 4 times. The Gullan situation isn't in our hands so don't know what else there is. Chance a loan signing and hope they are decent? 
We can't just rely on Bowie, Baird and Smith. Smith is untested really and Bowie has fantastic potential, but is still young and raw. Granted we scored a good few goals yesterday, but away to Forfar we were crying out for a centre forward to get on the end of those great cross balls. 
Miller is not my first choice, I doubt he's anyone's at this stage of his career. But he's a vastly experienced centre forward who scores goals. Granted its a risk given his age, but we have a pressing need to get out this league in the next 4 months. Its worth a gamble, and you can't say he wouldn't buried some of the glaring chances that have cost us points this season. 
Think the Skacel comparisons are lazy. He was brought in as Lockes mate having not played in a few years. I'd like to think we owe Mcglynn a bit more credit than that. 
We are a League 1 club who have lost out on every target so far in this window. I'm not really sure what other credible options are out there. 

Good post Calderon. My thoughts exactly. I’d also add he’s scored 10 goals, more than stone in a Raith shirt has, for a struggling team in a higher league than us.

Only 3 goals since September though. He also missed an open goal against Celtic last week.

Every club he's been to recently has seen a manager sacked and he seems to have been a disruptive influence at each club.

I think it would be suicide by McGlynn to sign him.

28 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Only 3 goals since September though. He also missed an open goal against Celtic last week.

Every club he's been to recently has seen a manager sacked and he seems to have been a disruptive influence at each club.

He may have missed an open goal but please tell me which striker hasn't done this before? 

As for being disruptive, well how would you know? The media is full of utter crap most of the time and they manipulate story's so they sell.

We never know the real reasons things happen in football clubs, it all stays behind closed doors. Even when players are interviewed long after they have left a club they don't say much as they know its professional curtesy to stay quiet. 

56 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Fair point but he was also deemed good enough to play 80 minutes against the best team in the country and got himself some chances. He also scored against the runaway league leaders the previous week.

The disruptive influence rumours are concerning, much of our success this year has been based on a real togetherness in the squad. But I’m sure McGlynn will have spoken to people in the game who have worked with Miller and won’t take the risk unless he’s confident in Miller’s personality as well as his ability.

Also, in fairness to Miller, look at his last few clubs, Partick Thistle, Livi, Dundee and Rangers not many of those clubs have reputations for being steady ships in recent years. These clubs have had their issues with performances and managers with or without Kenny Miller at the club. Livi aside probably but then he was the manager in that case!

Edited by R.R.FC