The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I guess any prospect of Gullen returning lies with Hibs bringing in another striker. A perfectly good indication of why a team shouldn't rely on loan players. 

There is no point in bringing someone in if they won't enhance the team, but starting to get a little concerned at the moment. Just need to wait and see. 

We are short up front, there is no getting away from that. We have Baird and two teenagers. 

And Allan, somewhere. Our tactics can be supported with one forward and some pressing from the mids, where we are better staffed. A forward in this window  is nice, not overextending and hurting the club is nicer. We must live within out means, something we failed at the last couple of years.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

And Allan, somewhere. Our tactics can be supported with one forward and some pressing from the mids, where we are better staffed. A forward in this window  is nice, not overextending and hurting the club is nicer. We must live within out means, something we failed at the last couple of years.

This is true, but he's been out for a long time and we don't know when/if we are likely to see him back in the match day squad. 

I agree we shouldn't over extend ourselves. I don't think replacing Gullen would do so despite our financial position, but we simply have to get out of this league. We can take a small risk but should not overload ourselves with new players. 

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Albeit another argument might be that another year in this league would be over extending the club more than the contract demands of one striker.

Whether that's to mount a title challenge or simply to be strong enough to give the play offs a decent go, we presently do not have enough up top. Adding a player there is not, in my opinion, nice, but essential.

Edited by renton

With the loss of Gullan, I wouldn’t mind seeing Victoria in his role. He’s the kind of player that likes to run at defenders, similar to what Jamie did. Mcglynn obviously sees him everyday and doesn’t fancy him for whatever reason!

Kenny Miller would be an interesting one, someone who could easily still do a job, especially in league one. I would think there would be a fair few teams in for him though.

Age is but a number... Vaughan is nice and young, but can't play. If you are 18 or 40 and fit enough to do well for 75-90mins, then that is all that really matters.

I haven't seen Miller this season, but we need a striker so if McGlynn has and is confident he would score and get the better of most league 1 defences then it wouldn't a bad signing at all* (considering that there are not exactly many other options!). 

*On paper - of course signings can always not work in the end.

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

Don’t think partick fans will miss him.

An ode to Kenny Miller:
Chased out first club, causes some rancor
Fourth time now, was almost a banker.
It's becoming to be,
Quite plain for all to see,
That Kenny Miller is a w****r.

I’m not convinced his work rate’s that great tbh. He’ll make a 50 yard sprint but then spending the next 10 mins strolling about and pointing.

A luxury we couldn’t afford and glad to see the back of him. Lazy moaning player well past his best who in recent months couldn’t find the goal. McCall’s clearly seen that.
The squad is getting de-Caldwelled. Still some dross to ship out.

Aye I would say I’m in the Kenny Miller OUT, bracket.
But it would be very us to give him a 6 month deal before he hangs up the boots. And if he does sign and scores 10 goals which would take us up - then great signing.