The New Raith Rovers Thread

I miss having the like of Big Marv, Mark Campbell and Andy Todd strolling up into the box for a corner. Must have given opposition teams the fear.

Miss the "smacking" sound of forehead on leather when big Marv connected knocking opposition defenders around like skittles....

Young boys have posted on twitter that the Nando song won’t be sung anymore. A wise choice. Let’s all move on and get everyone together behind the team for the run in.

Sensible. Let’s hope they keep up the noise.

Don’t you know, pump it up,

The Raith are going up!

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Young boys have posted on twitter that the Nando song won’t be sung anymore. A wise choice. Let’s all move on and get everyone together behind the team for the run in.

Good judgement and maturity from the young lads, bodes well for our fan base! With the complements they’ve received for the atmosphere they’ve been providing, it’s quite gratifying to see such a sensible call to prevent detracting from the pluses they provide. Plaudits to them!

With Shaw leaving permanently to Ross County, I believe that leaves Hibs with only three strikers. You'd have to assume they'll be bringing someone else in, and still need Gullan in reserve.

Christ knows what the plan is now. We could really do with another body up top, but it feels like we've already struck a line through the first few entries on John McGlynn's wishlist.

On 21/01/2020 at 16:59, Hank Scorpio said:

Missed out on Longridge. He’s signed on at Falkirk

That's your gain and our loss. One game in about five when he actually turns up, that said he's probably been one of our most creative players this season which only shows how utter guff we have been.

32 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

With Shaw leaving permanently to Ross County, I believe that leaves Hibs with only three strikers. You'd have to assume they'll be bringing someone else in, and still need Gullan in reserve.

Christ knows what the plan is now. We could really do with another body up top, but it feels like we've already struck a line through the first few entries on John McGlynn's wishlist.

Who knows. Sutherland is the only one that's really confirmed we were in for. Gullan coming back was probably separate from that wish list.

Yet, we may still be further weakened if a bid does come in for Bowie.

Definitely need something to happen just to stay still, let alone improve us. 

Edited by renton

We cant get through the rest of the season trying to play Dingwall off of Baird. If there is something left on the table in terms of finances, the board should be looking at how tight the league currently is, and how basically decent the rest of the side is, for the first time in a couple of years.

Real irony that the two years we had fit, able forwards in Vaughan and then Nesbit, we were fucking rank through the rest of the team. Feels like those cartoons where everytime you plug one leak, another opens up...

Where have folk read about possible bids for Bowie? Is it just from the scouts having been to watch him earlier in the season?

I was wondering this too. I’d be very surprised if we get a bid for him in this window.

His form in the last month or two has dipped a bit and although he’s still a tremendous prospect for us, I can’t see anyone being willing to part with a fee big enough to release him from his contract at this moment in time.

Bowie is probably off radars with his cooling off, one or two months isn’t enough to justify. They’ll watch with interest to see how he plays the rest of the way, while keeping an eye on young Dylan too.

I can’t feel sad about Gullan, because he’s possibly getting a real chance up at Hibs, and he was a tireless worker for us.

The BoD is in a troublesome spot here, because of Falkirk lurking. If we were 10 points clear, they might justify spending to win the league, but with Falkirk’s relatively “unlimited” budget (vs ours), we cannot afford to push all in and fail again. They certainly feel we can make the playoffs, and possibly can gain promotion that way (with a small outlay for a striker), if we don’t win the league, so a big splash would seem unlikely. If this hybrid model is making the finances work, our young players make next year’s prospects look pretty decent, so the risk/reward isn’t there this year, I’m sad to opine. That’s not resignation to another year in League One, but rather recognition that the debt incurred with the previous two years ill conceived campaigns severely limits our options

I guess any prospect of Gullen returning lies with Hibs bringing in another striker. A perfectly good indication of why a team shouldn't rely on loan players. 

There is no point in bringing someone in if they won't enhance the team, but starting to get a little concerned at the moment. Just need to wait and see. 

We are short up front, there is no getting away from that. We have Baird and two teenagers.