The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Cheers, I'm happy to be corrected, although the outcome wouldn't have been any better than the previous two.

Might have been the most financially rewarding of the 3 options though. 

OK. So some people think it’s racist and everyone should stop it. Others think it’s fine and should continue. But what about Kick It Out?

Here’s what they said about the Romelu Lukaku song sung by Man Utd fans a few years ago:

"Kick It Out is aware of footage of alleged racist chanting by supporters of Manchester United that emerged on Wednesday evening," a spokesman told The Times.

"The lyrics used in the chant are offensive and discriminatory.

"Racist stereotypes are never acceptable in football or wider society, irrespective of any intention to show support for a player.

"We have contacted Manchester United regarding the issues and will be working closely with them and the FA to ensure that it is addressed swiftly.

"If we received any reports relating to the discriminatory chant, those well be passed to the governing body and the perpetrators can expect to face punishment."

If Kick It Out hadn’t became involved I doubt Lukaku would have said anything. In fact I’m sure he himself said he knew the fans meant well with the song but the attention was now on the song rather than his football and the club, under increasing pressure, asked Lukaku to send out a tweet to encourage fans to stop. Like Mendy I don’t think Lukaku gives a f**k.

However in this day and age a bit of common sense wouldn’t go amiss and if the club are going to find themselves in hot water then binning it is probably for the best.

1 hour ago, Easy Days for Raith said:

On the players night out, Mendy filmed himself singing the chant and grabbing it. Then afterwards shouting “it is massive.” He publicly put this on his instagram story.

This doesn’t stop the song being based on racist stereotypes so is neither here nor there  in this debate 

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I still don’t see anything wrong with the song. It could be sung about Lewis Allan, or Grant Anderson. Would people still find it an offensive song and still claim it to be racist?

I didn’t think so.

It’s not sung about either of those players though is it or indeed anyone else involved in helping us to the top of the league this season. It’s sung about a player who had a horror show in the League Cup and was loaned out to Kelty Hearts. I wonder why that is? If you can’t join the dots yourself  already, then I suspect no amount of explaining why it’s racist is going to help. 

It’s not sung about either of those players though is it or indeed anyone else involved in helping us to the top of the league this season. It’s sung about a player who had a horror show in the League Cup and was loaned out to Kelty Hearts. I wonder why that is? If you can’t join the dots yourself  already, then I suspect no amount of explaining why it’s racist is going to help. 

It’s all a matter of opinion.

Regardless, it’s still unacceptable for a grown man to stand up and scream at a bunch of kids calling them racist when their intention wasn’t to offend anyone. Can we all at least agree on that..?

Yeah this whole "Mendy doesn't care" thing is a bit weird. By all accounts Benjamin Mendy wasn't all that bothered or offended about Bernardo Silvas' tweet about him, it doesn't mean the tweet wasn't hugely racist.

Mendy has a big chopper.
It’s as easy at that.
The chant is not based on the players ethnicity, how many times does that have to be stated.
Hamburg fans chant about bates ginger hair no one is crying about that.

1 hour ago, Frank conner said:

Its because people are offended by anything and everything these days also when a player is out for no specific reason the first port of call is "mental issues"even though no one actually knows what's going on it's just the world we live in nowadays.

‘Anything and everything‘ of course being racism, sexism, homophobia, sectarianism and, from your post, complete lack of understanding and stigma around mental health. 

Drinking in the Glesga's leafy West End on a Friday night before heading along to a cup semi-final sounds like an absolute belter of an evening for a fitba fan if you ask me?

West end [emoji23][emoji23], Maryhill you mean it's a hole of a place.

If it's area of Byers road you are goint to, that about an hours walk from the ground.

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The Venn diagram of people who don't see an issue with the song, and people who still refer to Chinese restaurants as "the chinky", is a circle.

Society has moved on, but unfortunately some people have been left behind. Thankfully, their numbers are dwindling and their days are numbered.

You would like to think so.

The saddest part of this discussion is that it is the younger generation trying to argue that this song is acceptable. 

9 minutes ago, RRFC2000 said:

Mendy has a big chopper.
It’s as easy at that.
The chant is not based on the players ethnicity, how many times does that have to be stated.
Hamburg fans chant about bates ginger hair no one is crying about that.

Have Raith Rovers never had any other players with "big choppers" playing for them? It seems conveniently coincidental that Mendy is the first guy whose knob has become relevant. If you don't take a second to understand why that is then I'm afraid the debate dies here.