The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, piebob said:

Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean that John McGlynn and the management team haven't tried things out in training, especially when we were really short in numbers at the back. Davo, for all his faults is one of our best CBs and was close to being MotM for me yesterday until the penalty.

For all his faults and the goals that he has cost us this season, if we play Jamie Watson there, we will concede for more. That's not to say if we sign someone who is better than him then we shouldn't replace him.

I understand that, but a recall of Mendy from Kelty was never in the cards, so that excuse is out. Now he’s only really started playing with the team again, it’ll take JMcG time to establish his view on his play, but what he’s seen of Mendy’s behavior with regard to awareness in practice should be useful.

I would never suggest Watson at CB in a four back, or the middle CB in a three or five back...but in a five back, the RCB position is not nearly as different from a RB in a four across as some people are suggesting. It’s well within the lads abilities, based upon what we’ve seen so far, but I’ll drop it for now as the idea of play him like this drives some people mad (much like the idea of him playing at all did at the start of the season).

Just watched the highlights. Anyone blaming or berating Davidson for that penalty, or for "letting us down", needs to take a look at themselves. If Davo made the mistake McKay made for their 2nd he'd have been run out of town by now. How certain "supporters" of a team can have such dislike for one of their own players to suggest jettisoning him into the sea and other such pish is beyond me.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I understand that, but a recall of Mendy from Kelty was never in the cards, so that excuse is out. Now he’s only really started playing with the team again, it’ll take JMcG time to establish his view on his play, but what he’s seen of Mendy’s behavior with regard to awareness in practice should be useful.

I would never suggest Watson at CB in a four back, or the middle CB in a three or five back...but in a five back, the RCB position is not nearly as different from a RB in a four across as some people are suggesting. It’s well within the lads abilities, based upon what we’ve seen so far, but I’ll drop it for now as the idea of play him like this drives some people mad (much like the idea of him playing at all did at the start of the season).

Mendy definitley improved whilst at Kelty, albeit in some games against poorer opposition.  Looked to begin to understand his positioning more and Scobbie will have helped him a bit.

Big step up to Raith though so will be interested to see how he does if he plays.

Just watched the highlights and all 3 goals came from errors in defence. Davo should never be giving away a handball, McKay then clearly at fault for the 2nd and hesitation on the left lead to the 3rd. I'm in favour of a back 3 with wingbacks but Anderson makes a huge difference in a 3. If he is out for the next 2-3 months then we need to look at other options.

Just watched the highlights and all 3 goals came from errors in defence. Davo should never be giving away a handball, McKay then clearly at fault for the 2nd and hesitation on the left lead to the 3rd. I'm in favour of a back 3 with wingbacks but Anderson makes a huge difference in a 3. If he is out for the next 2-3 months then we need to look at other options.
I thought Ross Mathews was caught on his heels for the 3rd.

Third goal didn’t matter. Davidson made a mistake to give away the first, McKay the second.

No need to worry about it too much beyond that. I actually thought McKay and Davidson, mistakes apart, were our best players outside of Regan Hendry yesterday. Both guys will have woken up this morning and known, they don’t need anyone to tell them.

Just one of those things, no point worrying about it- we move on.

Gullan not in the Hibs squad today...
I have a feeling, without any foundation whatsoever, that Ross dislikes us so will probably recall Gullan just for the hell it.

We missed Gullan yesterday though, he would've played the Tony Dingwall role more effectively than Tony Dingwall.

25 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I have a feeling, without any foundation whatsoever, that Ross dislikes us so will probably recall Gullan just for the hell it.

We missed Gullan yesterday though, he would've played the Tony Dingwall role more effectively than Tony Dingwall.

After being turned down by us in favour of Gary Locke I wouldn’t blame him if he did. His fortunes have favoured slightly better than ours since then right enough.

I’m fairly confident we’ll see Gullan back and it would be ideal if it was for the Montrose game. As you say, we definitely miss him and the goal threat he carries. Dingwall has been a real disappointment this season, thought he looked a good player when he joined but it’s just not happening this season.

Edited by R.R.FC

I'm sorry but unless we are away to Falkirk I don't want to see us ever needing to play a back 5 in league 1.