The New Raith Rovers Thread

Mostly the young team - but not just them - have on several occasions have sung a racist stereotypical chant about Mendy (the one about a cock being massive, of course).
I’m not saying they are racists. I think they are ignorant. 
But this chant has to stop. Right now.I’ve tried several times to shout it down and - disappointingly - not many other rovers fans have joined me.
It’s embarrassing and a fucking disgrace. I feel so sorry for Mendy and the black players playing for Livingston and anyone else who is effected. Disgusting. 
I know that the Raith TV boys read this, please pass this on to the club and get this publicly stopped. Again, I don’t think it’s based on hatred. It’s ignorance. So call this out, educate and stop it now. 
For anyone in the away end. If it starts again. Boo it down immediately. If you don’t, you are condoning it.

Not defending the young boys, but Nando Mendy has sung this song himself. On his instagram story and other occasions. In my opinion, that chant has no racism in it.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:

I'm far from davos biggest fan but he is one of our best options at cb. To drop him for Watson who isn't a cb or mendy who hasn't been tested at the level we play at is just a bit silly. He is also one of the only "ball playing" cbs we have so suits how mcglynn wants us to play.

Exactly this. A back three of Mendy, McKay and Benedictus is a sure fire way to make certain we remain in league 1 for another season. 

17 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Exactly this. A back three of Mendy, McKay and Benedictus is a sure fire way to make certain we remain in league 1 for another season. 

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Exactly why we need to be cognizant of opportunities to try Mendy, and perhaps Watson, in some games.

Mendy has the physical attributes to be an outstanding CB, and after getting playing time and experience at Kelty, should be very interesting to see at this level. He apparently played well there, but it is two leagues down.

Watson has a weak left side, and thus was a terrible choice to play on the left. As a now moderately experienced RB/RWB, who has improved greatly from last years form, I don’t see that a role at RCB (in a three CB formation) would be beyond him, and is worth exploring.

I’m not suggesting they start versus Falkirk, but if we are cruising comfortably versus Stranraer, 20 minutes of time would provide valuable insight.

Edited by TxRover

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Exactly why we need to be cognizant of opportunities to try Mendy, and perhaps Watson, in some games.
Mendy has the physical attributes to be an outstanding CB, and after getting playing time and experience at Kelty, should be very interesting to see at this level. He apparently played well there, but it is two leagues down.
Watson has a weak left side, and thus was a terrible choice to play on the left. As a now moderately experienced RB/RWB, who has improved greatly from last years form, I don’t see that a role at RCB (in a three CB formation) would be beyond him, and is worth exploring.
I’m not suggesting they start versus Falkirk, but if we are cruising comfortably versus Stranraer, 20 minutes of time would provide valuable insight.
There is a massive difference in the positions you want Watson to play. Just stop. I'm happy for him to fill in at rb but cb is not a position he is capable of playing.

7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

If we’re seriously considering playing Mendy at some point wouldn’t it be logical to loan him out to a League 2 team, it’s a higher level than Kelty and a better barometer to measure to see any improvement.

We could but not until next season. 

6 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

He’s signed on next season though. So it seems logical to do so

Can he play for another club this season? He's played for us in the cup then for Kelty in the league. Does the limit to two clubs include the Lowland league? 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Genuinely surprised we’re making an issue of the penalty yesterday. It’s a big mistake, it isn’t deliberate but Davidson’s arm has went out and knocked the ball. It’s a stonewaller.

50560AA6-6D99-4392-ABDF-FCAD1BD00E79.jpeg.e93ec91663270dabdf0df25b0b762b07.jpegI think the top one applies quite well to the first penalty does it not? 

9 hours ago, RaithRover123 said:

Davo’s handball was never a penalty. Really poor from the referee imo

The handball rule for penalties is always contentious. I was on the halfway line when he did it and, even from that far away, it was an obvious handball. He was heading away from goal when it happened and (from memory) it wasn’t like they were going to score and Davidson prevented them scoring, so it’s a sore one to take. It’s up to the referee on the day and this one deemed it a penalty. The next referee we get possibly wouldn’t.

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Exactly why we need to be cognizant of opportunities to try Mendy, and perhaps Watson, in some games.
Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean that John McGlynn and the management team haven't tried things out in training, especially when we were really short in numbers at the back. Davo, for all his faults is one of our best CBs and was close to being MotM for me yesterday until the penalty.

For all his faults and the goals that he has cost us this season, if we play Jamie Watson there, we will concede for more. That's not to say if we sign someone who is better than him then we shouldn't replace him.