The New Raith Rovers Thread

It's typical for Mcdonald to have come on to a game after leaving us, and best of luck to him, he was always trying for us... alas, at times very very trying indeed. 

To be fair we've got Leon McCann now so it isn't like we have lived to regret it. See it happen in football all the time, sometimes it just clicks for a player at a certain point, or at a certain club, or in a certain side. There's no crystal ball in football, it just shows you that some players who don't quite do it one year are not necessarily duds. 

I reckon we will get actual money for McCann in a few seasons and that he'll go on to have a decent career, really seem to have won a watch with him and accies will I think live to regret letting him go. So it worked out for everyone involved, really. Apart from Hamilton. Which is grand. 

The Times, of all publications, has Shane Sutherland going to Caley Thistle on a pre-contract agreement.

I think it's fairly well established that PCAs aren't worth much from a legal standpoint, so we could potentially still swoop in with a cash bid this month, but the chances of him choosing Kirkcaldy over Inverness seem... slim.

10 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The Times, of all publications, has Shane Sutherland going to Caley Thistle on a pre-contract agreement.

I think it's fairly well established that PCAs aren't worth much from a legal standpoint, so we could potentially still swoop in with a cash bid this month, but the chances of him choosing Kirkcaldy over Inverness seem... slim.

He will have held out his own geographical stipulations very well if that's the case. Fair play to him. 

He used to be with ICT when much younger. Went there in his late teens/early20's after a debut season with the Academy (Wick that is).

Always was a decent player even in local summer leagues when a youngster. He'll be a good squad player for Robbo.

Also it's only 50 miles or so between Inverness and Hopeman where I believe he lives.

Edited by embow

Second attempt at this after a formatting disaster previously 😂. Anyway it was mentioned recently how we seem to fare better against the top sides than the bottom ones. So I decided to look into it and the results are quite interesting (to me at least!!).

image.png.c813ac58052c29ec4c4ad71a78c5b5be.png

image.png.4593d3537c5c654c5e1e30c4823c1434.png

As you can see we have, by a long way, the best record against the top 5 but our record against the bottom 5 is comfortably the worst. Perhaps not surprisingly, the records in the top 5 head to heads in terms of points per game is the exact order of the current league table. It is obviously more important to have the edge against the top sides and our records in these matches is what has kept us top. If our form against the top sides starts to drop off we are in trouble if our bottom half form continues. However, to look at it in a more positive light, we have found a way to win and get points in the big games. If we can sort out the, in theory, easier task of regularly beating the bottom half sides we should be in a good place.

Couple of things to note, the table is based on the results against the current top 5 and bottom 5 rather than what position teams were in when they met. So the poor start to the season for Montrose skews things slightly. For instance, they lost their first 4 games against the top sides but have won 3 out of the 5 most recent ones. Also, they had 2 losses and a draw against the bottom 5 in their first 3 meetings. Since then they have won 7 and drawn 1 out of their last 8. Also, East Fife's 3 wins against the top 5 came in their first 3 meetings. They are now 8 without a win in these games. 

22 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Second attempt at this after a formatting disaster previously 😂. Anyway it was mentioned recently how we seem to fare better against the top sides than the bottom ones. So I decided to look into it and the results are quite interesting (to me at least!!).

As you can see we have, by a long way, the best record against the top 5 but our record against the bottom 5 is comfortably the worst. Perhaps not surprisingly, the records in the top 5 head to heads in terms of points per game is the exact order of the current league table. It is obviously more important to have the edge against the top sides and our records in these matches is what has kept us top. If our form against the top sides starts to drop off we are in trouble if our bottom half form continues. However, to look at it in a more positive light, we have found a way to win and get points in the big games. If we can sort out the, in theory, easier task of regularly beating the bottom half sides we should be in a good place.

Couple of things to note, the table is based on the results against the current top 5 and bottom 5 rather than what position teams were in when they met. So the poor start to the season for Montrose skews things slightly. For instance, they lost their first 4 games against the top sides but have won 3 out of the 5 most recent ones. Also, they had 2 losses and a draw against the bottom 5 in their first 3 meetings. Since then they have won 7 and drawn 1 out of their last 8. Also, East Fife's 3 wins against the top 5 came in their first 3 meetings. They are now 8 without a win in these games. 

This is genuinely class, well in. 

Makes very interesting reading. 

Worth keeping in mind that East Fife and Airdrie have more 'top 5 games' and also less bottom half games than either Raith or Falkirk, which may further skew things. 

5 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

This is genuinely class, well in. 

Makes very interesting reading. 

Worth keeping in mind that East Fife and Airdrie have more 'top 5 games' and also less bottom half games than either Raith or Falkirk, which may further skew things. 

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

Yeah, East Fife look to be having a bad run just now but they have played all the top 5 bar Falkirk 3 times so potential for them to kick on again now. Airdrie are well placed too given they’ve played more against the top 5.

The different number of games played does make it difficult which is why I tried to rank it on points per game. But obviously the more games we play against the top 5 the less likely it is to look so good for us. The record above will be difficult to maintain and it could look entirely different in 3 weeks time after we’ve played Montrose and Airdrie!

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Very nicely done/presented. I was considering doing similar, but didn’t have to time yet (kinda ironic, given the stick on my other work). PPG is the ideal metric in this case, as it smooths the disparity in games played versus each group.

Do you perhaps have a version for each group of games against the other nine (first, second, etc)?

11 hours ago, Duffus said:

On the Elgin thread that Shane Sutherland has signed a pre contract with ICT. 

Absolutely no surprise that's where he's heading. Was there as raw young laddie after being spotted with Wick Academy.

23 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Shepherd has 5 goals in 20 games this season and Henderson has 2 goals in 11 games.

Neither player has been prolific enough to warrant the step-up IMO

I hope you're sitting down, Jonny Court has 3 in 9.

Well if it's not going to be Sutherland then surely it needs to be somebody else. That could be; Graham, Henderson, Shepherd, Court or Panayiotou and I'm not saying for a minute I am wanting or not wanting any of them but I feel we will need someone in that role.

I'm really starting to wonder if the problem with Lewis Allan is so serious that it it will rule him out for the season...or worse!