The New Raith Rovers Thread

Disappointing not to win yesterday, missed a lot of great chances in the second half. Second week in a row we have wasted a lot of opportunities.

However, there are plenty positives to take. We are still top, we have key players coming back from injury and we are playing decent football and actually creating chances again. The squad has been stretched but everyone has stepped up, I don’t think there’s any passengers in the squad or anyone I’d be desperately keen to move on which is a good place to be considering the number of players we brought in over the summer.

For various reasons we weren’t great for most of November and December. We managed to show a different side by grinding out results which was great. But you can only do that for so long, so it’s great to see us playing some good stuff again and creating the opportunities even if we are missing them currently.

Striker is absolutely key this window. If we had a Sutherland type striker I think we win that game. We probably have a much more comfortable day of it against Peterhead last week too. No real rush with the cup next week and if it takes us to the last day of the window to get the right man then so be it but it would be a big boost to have them in for the Montrose game. 

Disappointing not to win yesterday, missed a lot of great chances in the second half. Second week in a row we have wasted a lot of opportunities.
However, there are plenty positives to take. We are still top, we have key players coming back from injury and we are playing decent football and actually creating chances again. The squad has been stretched but everyone has stepped up, I don’t think there’s any passengers in the squad or anyone I’d be desperately keen to move on which is a good place to be considering the number of players we brought in over the summer.
For various reasons we weren’t great for most of November and December. We managed to show a different side by grinding out results which was great. But you can only do that for so long, so it’s great to see us playing some good stuff again and creating the opportunities even if we are missing them currently.
Striker is absolutely key this window. If we had a Sutherland type striker I think we win that game. We probably have a much more comfortable day of it against Peterhead last week too. No real rush with the cup next week and if it takes us to the last day of the window to get the right man then so be it but it would be a big boost to have them in for the Montrose game. 

Aye if we had a clinical striker up front yesterday we would have won easily

I'd only be looking at bringing in a CB if they were capable of providing cover at LB in case MacDonald wasn't available. Whatever we think of Mendy, we've got 4 CBs which should be enough notwithstanding the inclination of ours to get themselves sent off. At RB we nearly have Miller back and Jamie Watson has slotted in just fine. We are covered there. It is only LB where we are exposed in the event of injury/suspension, but we shouldn't really want to pay wages to a back up LB. 

Up front is where our issue currently is. Despite scoring yesterday, Baird hasn't set the heather alight and our top scorer is going back to his parent club. Smith and Bowie are both teenagers so shouldn't really be depended on, and Allen seems to be out indefinitely. Then you have our best attacker, who is injured again. 

Bit of pressure to get things right up front during this window. 

Edited by Michael W

Feel some praise is due to Jamie Watson. Granted, he hasn't exactly been fantastic, but he's slotted in and done absolutely fine for us. Massive improvement on last season that's for sure. 
Certainly encouraged by Tait. He was easily our best midfielder yesterday, and didnt let his miss get to him at all. Hendry has been quieter the past couple games, but the fact he's there still gives opposition sides something to think about and frees space up elsewhere. 
The real standout for me this season has been Kieran McDonald. Very, very impressed and crazy to think Airdrie were relatively happy to see him leave. 
Macdonald was class in the game against us but at the start of the season I was surprised you took him. He was utter shit last year when we saw him and when he was at us he was worse than that [emoji23] Mcglynn has made an absolute player out of him though unfortunately :(

Any idea how much you guys forked out for him cause I remember a fee was involved
Can't have been much more than a bag of bibs. Mcglynn has always had a knack for finding players like macdonald. Full of unrealised potential and helping them find it. See the likes of mcgurn as the perfect example.

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:
1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:
MacDonald arguably been our POTY so far. Tremendous signing, I love watching him.

Any idea how much you guys forked out for him cause I remember a fee was involved

Think Nat wedderburn moving to Airdrie had something to do with the deal also

He was released for a small fee as Airdrie wanted rid, perhaps Nat was part of the deal. I'm sure Airdrie fans said at the time they had a surplus of left backs and with Adam Eckersley coming in they were getting a far better player, also some nonsense talk that McDonald didn't have the ability to put in a decent cross 😂

Feel some praise is due to Jamie Watson. Granted, he hasn't exactly been fantastic, but he's slotted in and done absolutely fine for us. Massive improvement on last season that's for sure. 
Certainly encouraged by Tait. He was easily our best midfielder yesterday, and didnt let his miss get to him at all. Hendry has been quieter the past couple games, but the fact he's there still gives opposition sides something to think about and frees space up elsewhere. 
The real standout for me this season has been Kieran McDonald. Very, very impressed and crazy to think Airdrie were relatively happy to see him leave. 

We have leon mccann and adam ackersley as back up. Both better than mcdonald IMO

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

We have leon mccann and adam ackersley as back up. Both better than mcdonald IMO

Better than MacDonald for you last year. However, whatever McGlynn has worked on with him has clearly worked. He has been the player of the year for the team currently top and he would be an absolute stick on for team of the division so far this season. Contributed, with either goals or assists, 15 goals this season and been very solid defensively even filling in well at centre half on a couple of occasions.