The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would  be surprized if Sutherland ended up at Starks, has said before he would like a crack ay full time again but seems unwilling to move away from his home area. The other season figures of a  £25,000 fee was mentioned, we eventually paid a fee of some sort presumably nothing like that, he came but never  really got  into it during his second spell with us & was allowed back up to Elgin not sure how much we lost out on him.. Good player when he wants to be just don't think a deal would be possible to suit his agenda.

Irrespective, we now have two fit keepers. One of whom in Thomson was brought in as number one. I really hope that we are not going to extend the contract of Munro and free up the cash for another player.
I thought Munro was staying anyway I would feel less confident about a title challenge with Thomson in goal.

Would  be surprized if Sutherland ended up at Starks, has said before he would like a crack ay full time again but seems unwilling to move away from his home area.

He stays in Hopeman by all accounts. Kinda limits him ever so slightly on getting a full time club.

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

He stays in Hopeman by all accounts. Kinda limits him ever so slightly on getting a full time club.

It explains why he has pretty much spent his career bouncing between Elgin and Peterhead anyway.

It would be a bold move for a 29 year old to uproot and come to play for us. I doubt we would have the financial clout to make it worth his while.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

Think one of the reasons he did not settle with us second time around, after he agreed to come to us somebody told him Caley were thinking of giving him a try, that would be the only full time gig anywhere near Hopeman, also think his partner possibly works at Borough Briggs in some capacity.

So many signings and loan deals happening everywhere. By the sounds of it it’s a long waiting game but I do wonder if JMcG has a back up if he can’t get the players he wants
He's said he does in his pre match interview for this weekend. I think with the nature of having to pay fee's, potentially for the players he's after it will take longer. Our squad has shown they are good enough to compete already though regardless

Would  be surprized if Sutherland ended up at Starks, has said before he would like a crack ay full time again but seems unwilling to move away from his home area. The other season figures of a  £25,000 fee was mentioned, we eventually paid a fee of some sort presumably nothing like that, he came but never  really got  into it during his second spell with us & was allowed back up to Elgin not sure how much we lost out on him.. Good player when he wants to be just don't think a deal would be possible to suit his agenda.

So he wants full time football at 29 year old. Staying up there would limit him to Ross County, ICT or Aberdeen. Not exactly a massive choice then.

Jack Ross in papers bemoaning his lack of senior strikers ,only having Kamberi and Doidge and that he wont let Ollie Shaw leave because of that

”We,ve got Jamie Gullan back after todays game but he might well go out on loan again.We just wanted to assess where we are”

Gullan is fourth in line at Hibs. Paul Heckingbottom only ever used one striker at a time, so he was happy to let Gullan go. Jack Ross is a little more adventurous, and I can't imagine he's happy to run with only three senior strikers. And although they'll almost certainly bring someone else in, Oli Shaw is angling for a loan move to another Premiership club who'll start him every week.

All things considered, I'd be surprised if we see Gullan back after today.

On the one hand, it's a real shame because he's come on leaps and bounds in his time with us. On the other, though, it's another example for John McGlynn and Raith Rovers to hold up to other managers. Stark's Park is a place where you can trust that your promising players will develop.

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Gullan is fourth in line at Hibs. Paul Heckingbottom only ever used one striker at a time, so he was happy to let Gullan go. Jack Ross is a little more adventurous, and I can't imagine he's happy to run with only three senior strikers. And although they'll almost certainly bring someone else in, Oli Shaw is angling for a loan move to another Premiership club who'll start him every week.

All things considered, I'd be surprised if we see Gullan back after today.

On the one hand, it's a real shame because he's come on leaps and bounds in his time with us. On the other, though, it's another example for John McGlynn and Raith Rovers to hold up to other managers. Stark's Park is a place where you can trust that your promising players will develop.

On the plus side, although Jack Ross won’t make his judgement solely on friendlies, Oli Shaw scored a double for Hibs in a 2-1 yesterday. May put him up the pecking order slightly and less likely to be loaned out.

I’m quietly optimistic we’ll see Gullan back. 

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It is indeed a good selling point for loans, but Munro has now made that look a bit iffy the last couple of weeks. Wondering if we don’t need to run out Thomson for a game, though probably not Livingstone.

Not having Steven Anderson is obviously a nightmare because of his individual ability, but the fact that it significantly reduces (or completely iradicates) our chances of returning to a back three is a real sickener.

When you look at a game like today, where 90% of our creative threat came from the full backs (and that's without Michael Miller), letting them loose as wing-backs was a tremendous weapon.

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Not having Steven Anderson is obviously a nightmare because of his individual ability, but the fact that it significantly reduces (or completely iradicates) our chances of returning to a back three is a real sickener.

When you look at a game like today, where 90% of our creative threat came from the full backs (and that's without Michael Miller), letting them loose as wing-backs was a tremendous weapon.

I’d run with McKay, Davo and Bene somewhat happily, as long as Davo keeps his head screwed on.

I’d run with McKay, Davo and Bene somewhat happily, as long as Davo keeps his head screwed on.

As would I. You've got Nando as a back-up, and the option to switch back to two centre halfs is always there, but McGlynn doesn't seem keen.

It doesn't immediately make sense. Anderson doesn't seem the type to be the deciding factor for a back three. He's very much a no-nonsense defender, when you'd think it'd be more of a ball-player who'd be the lynchpin for that system. It might be his organisational skills that he thinks are missing.

Defenders are generally comfortable with a back four. Is McGlynn not willing to gamble on Davo and Bene talking McKay or Nando through a relatively drastic change of system?

Feel some praise is due to Jamie Watson. Granted, he hasn't exactly been fantastic, but he's slotted in and done absolutely fine for us. Massive improvement on last season that's for sure. 

Certainly encouraged by Tait. He was easily our best midfielder yesterday, and didnt let his miss get to him at all. Hendry has been quieter the past couple games, but the fact he's there still gives opposition sides something to think about and frees space up elsewhere. 

The real standout for me this season has been Kieran McDonald. Very, very impressed and crazy to think Airdrie were relatively happy to see him leave.