The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't see the need for Callachan at all. With Tait emerging to challenge Matthews, Hendry and Spencer we are well off in that area.

We need a goalscorer and a defender, be that a right back or centre back or ideally someone who can play both positions.

Mcglynn says priorities may have changed re Anderson's injury so I'd be inclined to say the 2 players would be Sutherland and a defender. Callachan was probably on the radar but we need defensive cover more now as what we have can't be trusted not to get sent off again. 

Edited by pantene proV

Still not sold on the “we must have a striker” line. A poacher, yes, but with our strength in midfield and crossing from wingbacks, a pure striker that can penetrate a defense isn’t, in my opinion, as high a priority. Goodwillie is, I think, a non-starter for a number of reasons, but an opportunistic player is a good shout. The reality is that Tait or possibly Hendry, look capable of playing a false nine role, if required, which simply calls for a couple of attackers who can move into interesting positions to get the ball, not have to move them there on their own.

We’ve stayed pretty exclusively with 2 forwards and Gullan sweeping behind them for a good bit of the season, no reason that can’t continue to work and we share the scoring around. Is it ideal, no.

I would feel much better with a solid defenseman too.

Part of the money coming in to the Raith Supporters Fund is ring-fenced, so that's potentially where its coming from. A testament against to all those paying in!
You also have the 6000 raised from the xmas raffle also buy a pie fund which someone on fantalk mentioned 2500 was raised and John Simpson would double it to 5000

I'd personally love to see Callachan back in the middle with Spencer with Hendry playing behind the striker or in a free role. Tait has been decent these past couple of games but considering we are in a title challenge, I'd rather have a safe pair of hands in the middle with Callachan's 'workhorse' ability and pushing Hendry forward a bit. The games II've seen Hendry drop deep has slightly nullified his attacking abilities, albeit he has still be one of, if not the best players on the park. Probably one of his biggest critics for many seasons he was here but Callchan's last season he was easily one of our best players (not hard in that season like) and still think losing him made a huge dent in our promotion bid vs Ayr.

I think we are in desperate need for a striker who can get a double figure return in the remainder of the season. It's either going to be a gamble on someone in the league below or a loan of a player who has been recalled by their parent club. Either that, or I'll happily sell a kidney or however many internal organs it takes to get Brian Graham back.

Edited by Holy Marv

I'd personally love to see Callachan back in the middle with Spencer with Hendry playing behind the striker or in a free role. Tait has been decent these past couple of games but considering we are in a title challenge, I'd rather have a safe pair of hands in the middle with Callachan's 'workhorse' ability and pushing Hendry forward a bit. The games II've seen Hendry drop deep has slightly nullified his attacking abilities, albeit he has still be one of, if not the best players on the park. 

I think this is the kid of thing that sounds good on paper but when you take Hendry away from the middle we really start to struggle moving it from front to back. He’s at his most valuable for me when he’s picking the ball up deep and making things happen - I’m not convinced we’d get the best out of him at number 10.

Getting things moving from the back will also be exasperated with Davidson coming back in for McKay. Davidson playing well is a better defender than McKay playing well, but I’m not sure anyone would argue McKay isn’t far superior with the ball and has really helped us build from the back in recent weeks. Wouldn’t be keen to see Hendry up the park with Davidson/Benedictus at centre back.

Callachan would be an excellent addition. If there's a weakness with Hendry its that he's quite powder puff and isn't strong defensively (Clyde away for Anderson's red, Falkirk's goal in the most recent game). Callachan would add a huge amount of energy in the middle and he's not afraid to put a challenge in.

Would agree that centre midfield wouldn’t be top of my priority list for signings. However, Callachan would bring a lot of qualities to the side that we don’t currently have. His energy levels are excellent and would help add a bit of steel to our midfield which has lacked in some games.

Our business last January was dreadful. However, McGlynn’s summer business was excellent and I tend to be in the camp that I would trust his judgement wherever he decides to strengthen. Very underrated the job he has done the last 6 months. Not so much on here but still regularly here moans and groans against him in the stands which I do not understand.

From what I’ve saw of Sutherland in the cup tie he sort of fits the bill in terms of similar mould to Allan in terms of height/build.

But I thought he was a handful at times and had a bit more ability about him, occasionally dropping deep to link up play.

The boy obviously knows where the net is too and I think he’ll compliment the way we play.

14 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

An additional note on Shane Sutherland is that he regularly plays 30 plus games a season. He'd be a rare breed at Starks Park.

Oh he’d get injured wearing the navy blue , no doubt about it. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
On 07/01/2020 at 15:23, Frank conner said:
Munro is better than Thomson simple as.

Irrespective, we now have two fit keepers. One of whom in Thomson was brought in as number one. I really hope that we are not going to extend the contract of Munro and free up the cash for another player.

Is McGurn fit? And in any case, Munro is the better keeper. Not McGlynn's fault he got stuck with Thompson. I wouldnt be playing a sub standard keeper just to free up a loan, I feel like that's just a world of hurt waiting to happen.