The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, grumswall said:
2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:
Well, it's all on hold for us until we play in the cup then. What's your squad looking like these days? McGlynn was at the game today to see us thump Hibs 2-0, former Livi manager as well (changed days from when he was with us mind you). 

We're a big physical team that likes to pressure you constantly, not sure how that matches up to your playstyle

Hendry to stroll about the pitch with the cigars out as the livi cloggers try and kick him about the pitch imo.

Sounds about right :D Big Bad Jon Guthrie and Marvin Bartley to stick him into perpetual orbit 

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Hopefully it's a good game. Shite tie money wise for both clubs, so have to hope for that at least. Mcglynn wasn't really rated at livi was he?

Yeah you're right there, spot in the quarters up for grabs and ties like Bonnyrigg v Clyde and BSC Glasgow v East Kilbride surely means there's a decent shot at the semis from this tie. 

McGlynn was okay, just that we were scraping to stay in the Championship at the time, pretty sure he signed dross like Gary Glen and Darren Cole for us though. Then again he had Burchill as his assistant, who then had Hopkin as his assistant so maybe without him we weren't ever up :D 

We have 3 options for rb in Miller (when fit) Watson and mckay. Davo has done decent enough there in the past aswell. I'd prefer we looked for a left sided defender incase macdonald gets injured. Think I said this in August aswell and he's not really been injured. Striker seems a necessity, but I'd imagine it will depend on if baird is staying or not. He's maybe not scored as many goals as we'd like but he has contributed and is a good influence among the squad.

Interesting point, not sure I’d be too keen to sign someone as cover for MacDonald though, seems a bit of a waste. We could always push him into midfield though.

Sending Munro back and using Thomson/Mcgurn and using the loan market for someone else may also be food for thought.

Interesting point, not sure I’d be too keen to sign someone as cover for MacDonald though, seems a bit of a waste. We could always push him into midfield though.

Sending Munro back and using Thomson/Mcgurn and using the loan market for someone else may also be food for thought.
It does until we need someone to fill in and we're left with Watson. I'm not saying we need to sign a natural lb but if we can get someone who can do a job there while being better elsewhere then I'd rather that, than signing another rb.

In an ideal world we would be able to hold on to everyone we have and also bring in 2 players. One who can play either fullback role and the other a big goal hungry target man but....that won't happen.

Reality is that we will almost certainly lose both Baird and Munro and quite possibly Gullan too so therefor the priority has to be a striker.

We are light in the defensive positions and lack a potent striker so I'd hope those are the roles that the 2 players J McG is hoping to fill.

Going, perhaps

Don't want Geordie to go but if it free's up a wage and we still have 3 keepers on the books then so be it.

Bairdie hasn't done what we all hoped, perhaps he's been played in the wrong place but he's a mouthy wee so and so if it were that simple I'm sure he'd have said something and sorted it out if he could. Sorry John but we need a goalscorer and seems to me you aint it anymore.

Jao has been a disappointment, too injury prone and hasn't produced any of the driving runs that previously he destroyed us with, also he doesn't want to track back and defend and where we are just now we need that ability too.

Gullan will be the real sore one if we cant get him back, our top scorer in the league and on current form will be extremely tough to replace.

Potentially coming in / Rumours

Ross Callachan. Well, with a choice of central midfielders like Regan, Brad, Dylan and Ross we have genuine good options and much as I like Cal he's a luxury we cant afford....at the moment.

Dean Campbell, as per Ross Callachan he's not the man we need given as far as I know he's a central midfielder.

David Goodwille. He's being linked with a move to Falkirk, Partick and Dunfermline (who if rumours are to be believed are readying to offload Nisbet) so why not us too?  It will divide the ranks and morally I despise him but having had my scruples surgically removed, for the sake of promotion I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'd be very surprised if we signed Goodwillie. 

The club owner has previously stated that he would like to see more female supporters coming through the gates so I can't see him being keen on signing a player who'd put women off attending. 

Not just women.

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

Callaghan would never work out for us at this time when the money could be spent elsewhere. Great player at this level and honestly think if he’d have stayed a few years back we would have went up, but he’s not getting in the the team just now. Mattethews is the only player he’d get in ahead of imho and it’s just not worth it.

If we still had a player like Nisbet we’d be running away with the league as the rest of the squad is sound. Even the cover apart from in the fullback position is good. Baird hasn’t scored the goals like everyone thought he would but I would be in no rush to get rid of him, he and ando were massive in the win yesterday.

Keeping gullan in January could also be massive in our season. Anyone know how long he’s tied to us for?

For me a striker in January is key and another winger. Hopefully come may 2nd we’ll all be celebrating in Falkirk

9 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'd be very surprised if we signed Goodwillie. 

The club owner has previously stated that he would like to see more female supporters coming through the gates so I can't see him being keen on signing a player who'd put women off attending. 

While I'm here I'll give my knowledge on it, a lot of Livi fans want us to sign him too but outside of Clyde and Dundee Utd he scored something like 30 goals in almost 200 appearances. He's 31 in March. Career total of 139 in 427 isn't all that special, I'm sure you have a few promising young guys (one of which we're apparently after), surely it'd make more sense to play and develop them into a sellable asset.

While I'm here I'll give my knowledge on it, a lot of Livi fans want us to sign him too but outside of Clyde and Dundee Utd he scored something like 30 goals in almost 200 appearances. He's 31 in March. Career total of 139 in 427 isn't all that special, I'm sure you have a few promising young guys (one of which we're apparently after), surely it'd make more sense to play and develop them into a sellable asset.
Who are you after from us?

Just now, grumswall said:
6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Who are you after from us?

Kieron Bowie I think it is

The Goodwillie situation just has to be avoided to be honest. He's an excellent footballer at this level, but John McGlynn has built a team with real togetherness and spirit,and that's a large part of why we are where we are. Regardless of anyone's thoughts as to his actions, Goodwillie signing would create a circus we could do without to be honest. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:
Kieron Bowie I think it is

You couldn't afford him tbh. We will be holding out for more than you could afford to pay.

From the sounds of it we're quids in to the sum of 2m+ apparently when Dykes goes*

*Not that I believe that mind but I reckon he'll break our fee in record which is 1m for Fernandez to Celtic

Edited by ATLIS

From the sounds of it we're quids in to the sum of 2m+ apparently when Dykes goes

But who is that actually going to?

Eta: He's been getting scouted from a lot of teams apparently and considering he's a rovers fan who hasn't long turned 17 it will take a good amount to get him I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

From the sounds of it we're quids in to the sum of 2m+ apparently when Dykes goes*

*Not that I believe that mind but I reckon he'll break our fee in record which is 1m for Fernandez to Celtic

That's a lot of money to put through the washing machine.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

But who is that actually going to?

Eta: He's been getting scouted from a lot of teams apparently and considering he's a rovers fan who hasn't long turned 17 it will take a good amount to get him I'd imagine.

Not sure QotS will have a huge/if any sell on fee. We've managed to turn the club around and are quite well run now, haven't made a loss in about 4 years and the debt is down to about 400k from 2m. We've broke even for the financial year last year including debt reduction so any profit goes in to reducing that. Took a lot of power to get us back to this way but I'm glad the Massones and Flynns of days gone are finally out. 

Reckon whatever fee we get will go to eliminating the debt and then the rest goes to ground improvements and squad improvements. We're somehow doing well enough to go on a Portuguese winter break to play Anderlecht and Ajax's youth team :D 

Callaghan would never work out for us at this time when the money could be spent elsewhere. Great player at this level and honestly think if he’d have stayed a few years back we would have went up, but he’s not getting in the the team just now. Mattethews is the only player he’d get in ahead of imho and it’s just not worth it.

If we still had a player like Nisbet we’d be running away with the league as the rest of the squad is sound. Even the cover apart from in the fullback position is good. Baird hasn’t scored the goals like everyone thought he would but I would be in no rush to get rid of him, he and ando were massive in the win yesterday.

Keeping gullan in January could also be massive in our season. Anyone know how long he’s tied to us for?

For me a striker in January is key and another winger. Hopefully come may 2nd we’ll all be celebrating in Falkirk
I would also keep Baird. I don't think he's got 90 minutes in him anymore but he still has something to offer on and off the pitch.