The New Raith Rovers Thread

Tomorrow is the 27th November and it's 25 years to the day when the mighty Raith beat Celtic to win the League Cup. Probably the greatest day in the history of our club. 
Let's go back in time and celebrate again this fantastic achievement. The whole match will be shown live tomorrow in the Raith Suite from 7pm. 
We are expecting a good turnout and spaces are limited so get down early!!

Happy 27/11 day folks.
thompson.jpg&key=80d0cb34c10ebceb9e32dc85f5317cfbc776613b2331c1f56d3154436d6dce97

I remember when Thomson saved that, I thought the ref was going to blow for the penalty to be retaken as he was way off his line. I think Thomo thought that too when he looked back as he ran. Greatest day of my life

I remember when Thomson saved that, I thought the ref was going to blow for the penalty to be retaken as he was way off his line. I think Thomo thought that too when he looked back as he ran. Greatest day of my life

I was the same, was just expecting the ref to blow for it be retaken, then thomson just kept running and then you realised that we had won it. Remember thinking galloway had missed the 5th one as well.

The  RaithTV team thought there was a lot of great insight in the interviews from Sunday's brunch so we've decided to put them up in full as part of 27/11 day.

You can view all the interviews in full on video here - https://youtu.be/uy_xwPV0yRo

Alternatively, we've put them up as a podcast here - https://anchor.fm/raithtv/episodes/Coca-Cola-Cup-Win---25th-Anniversary-Interviews-e97irq?fbclid=IwAR3s7umJuSvQl5Xn9ro8ySGBr-_aigzgyr5XsRmSYigeB-c-evEBiTwqkF4

1 hour ago, Roath Raver said:

The  RaithTV team thought there was a lot of great insight in the interviews from Sunday's brunch so we've decided to put them up in full as part of 27/11 day.

You can view all the interviews in full on video here - https://youtu.be/uy_xwPV0yRo

Alternatively, we've put them up as a podcast here - https://anchor.fm/raithtv/episodes/Coca-Cola-Cup-Win---25th-Anniversary-Interviews-e97irq?fbclid=IwAR3s7umJuSvQl5Xn9ro8ySGBr-_aigzgyr5XsRmSYigeB-c-evEBiTwqkF4

Listening at the moment. Superb stuff. Actually a bit choked. Cheers guys 

It's really weird how much i remember of the actual day but not that much of the game itself, apart from the moment time stood still when Thomson saved it and my mind couldn't process what had just happened quick enough.

I was just wee, and family circumstances meant we didn't make the game, but I will never, ever forget my Grandad and Dad's reaction to the goals and the win. Nor will I forget the reaction from my Dad when we found out we drew Bayern. 

Brilliant memories. No matter how shite things get, it's the type of memories that fans of other clubs at our level will never, ever have. 

Love reading everyone’s memories. Got goosebumps and started welling up seeing highlights again.

Went with my late Dad and sister and treasure all the little memories of the day - Van Halen’s Jump before the teams came out sticks in my mind for some reason so I listened to that again today.

Fantastic seeing all the pics of celebrations again. I love how the team are all still in their Rovers kits when we lifted the cup and didn’t have tacky T-shirts which might have been the case if it happened now.

Pretty sure I’ll never see anything like it again but privileged to have been there. Absolute heroes, one and all. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

Brilliant stuff.After listening to that followed the link to the highlights of the final.Must say was close to a tear

7 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

It's really weird how much i remember of the actual day but not that much of the game itself, apart from the moment time stood still when Thomson saved it and my mind couldn't process what had just happened quick enough.

Kinda similar

Novar for pre departure refreshments.Bus to some junior clubs ground not far from Ibrox.Many more refreshments,game a semi blur,back on the bus back to Kirkcaldy and back to a rammed Novar( free drink)Then down the high street which had been closed off due to sheer volumes of bodies and empty bottles,there was even folk on Safeways  supermarket roof( now B&M).Partied on the street until it became like a scene from the walking dead.Cant remember when or how I got home.Think I spent the rest of the week in the Novar where they had the final on repeat 

Was fortunate to get to all the european games home and away,the likes i,ll never see again.My one regret,not taking my son to the final

Memories 😁

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Went with my son on the day. I remember the atmosphere was electric as we went in to extra time and the roar as Thomson saved McStay's penalty, awesome. Also clearly recall the Sellick support disappearing like snaw aff a dyke after the final whistle.

Wonderful day and, on the way home in the bus, stopped at Kincardine to all the cheering "Rovers" fans, ...............only realised later they had to be Gers supporters! 

The icing on the cake was stopping outside EEP, Dunfermline wiz ""shut" that night.......happy days...😄

Edited by Wee Sandy

So, what do we really have? in my opinion:

Keepers:

McGurn is an acceptable backup, Munro is an excellent starter, but may be away in January (thou Ross have three keepers on the team right now and are leaning heavily on Laidlaw), Thomson we'vre yet to see after his injury.

Backline:

On the back line, we have SAndo, Davo and Bene who can all play well in as CB's in a back 3, with wingbacks outside, but all of whom seem less able in a back 4, regardless of position.

MacDonald is a magnificent left wingback, as is Miller on the right.

McKay is a perfectly usable CB in a 3 and can play the wingback too, at a lower level than the other two.

Watson, I can't say we've seen enough of him at right wingback, and probably won't with Miller healthy.

Midfield:

Hendry, Spencer and Matthews seem a solid starting three, but GAndo is certainly a good choice as well.

Dingwall has been abysmal, and Tait hasn't seen much time but has some promise.Miller works here, but is needed as a wingback.

Forwards:

Bowie is the standout, and paired with Baird brought out some nice work by both of them. Baird might be away in january.

Gullan is usable

Armstrong is starting to look like a waste of space.

Allan strikes me as miscast as a target forward, and is more of a possession and movement player...so where can we use him best?

Victoria and Smith haven't seen enough time to judge, but Victoria's last sub roles early on looked promising. Smith showed something before his injury, but against weaker opposition.

Vaughan...we all know.

If McKay can fill for any of the other three CB's, until Davo goes mental and we get an injury at the same time, we're OK there. 

Can GAndo fill in for MacDonald is he's dinged, possibly? Could Tait, unlikely? McKay can probably fill for Miller

We have little depth at reliable Mid until Regan is back..

Just how in the hell can we juggle the forwards to get results? Bowie was, for all practical purposes, our scoring threat, though Baird and Gullan can threaten at times.

So, now everyone tell me the stupid stuff I missed.

Edited by TxRover

So, what do we really have? in my opinion:
Keepers:
McGurn is an acceptable backup, Munro is an excellent starter, but may be away in January (thou Ross have three keepers on the team right now and are leaning heavily on Laidlaw), Thomson we'vre yet to see after his injury.
Backline:
On the back line, we have SAndo, Davo and Bene who can all play well in as CB's in a back 3, with wingbacks outside, but all of whom seem less able in a back 4, regardless of position.
MacDonald is a magnificent left wingback, as is Miller on the right.
McKay is a perfectly usable CB in a 3 and can play the wingback too, at a lower level than the other two.
Watson, I can't say we've seen enough of him at right wingback, and probably won't with Miller healthy.
Midfield:
Hendry, Spencer and Matthews seem a solid starting three, but GAndo is certainly a good choice as well.
Dingwall has been abysmal, and Tait hasn't seen much time but has some promise.Miller works here, but is needed as a wingback.
Forwards:
Bowie is the standout, and paired with Baird brought out some nice work by both of them. Baird might be away in january.
Gullan is usable
Armstrong is starting to look like a waste of space.
Allan strikes me as miscast as a target forward, and is more of a possession and movement player...so where can we use him best?
Victoria and Smith haven't seen enough time to judge, but Victoria's last sub roles early on looked promising. Smith showed something before his injury, but against weaker opposition.
Vaughan...we all know.

If McKay can fill for any of the other three CB's, until Davo goes mental and we get an injury at the same time, we're OK there. 
Can GAndo fill in for MacDonald is he's dinged, possibly? Could Tait, unlikely? IMcKay can probably fill for Miller
We have little depth at reliable Mid until Regan is back..
Just how in the hell can we juggle the forwards to get results? Bowie was, for all practical purposes, our scoring threat, though Baird and Gullan can threaten at times.

So, now everyone tell me the stupid stuff I missed.

Tx your wasting your life in the States, have you ever thought about football management lol. It’s like your writing on a tactics board at the NFL. Just waiting for phrases like doing the Hail Mary and play it to the wide receiver. No offence btw. Your an enjoyable read

4 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Tx your wasting your life in the States, have you ever thought about football management lol. It’s like your writing on a tactics board at the NFL. Just waiting for phrases like doing the Hail Mary and play it to the wide receiver. No offence btw. Your an enjoyable read

Not easily offended, spent over thirty years in a job where all you have for entertainment is busting other people’s balls.

Watching the Forfar highlights,, Hail Mary came to mind when we were lumping it up the field. It must come from a good few years refereeing, playing and parenting youth “soccer”. Finally having the time to watch the games on Raith TV makes me think a bit more about the strategy and gameplay aspects of the game versus pure fandom. I shake my head at those that dismiss the quality of League One in derogatory terms...it certainly isn’t a “high standard”, but it can be a quite enjoyable match now and then, with the random turd like Tuesday mixed in. Most of the time, as a fan at this level, it’s a bit of hanging on the edge of the seat to see if they can string together those passes and get a shot off, and slumping back down when a player (too often) misses a pass.

7 hours ago, Offshore Rover said:

Personally I would start Gullan and bring on Baird for the last 20/30 mins so he can run about the tired part teams defence

To me, that’s been JMcG’s role for Victoria so far. Baird has had a good bit of participation in the passing that has resulted in opportunities, where Gullan seems more likely to hammer a shot from the outside of the box than pass. Not sure Gullan would add to the attack what Baird does...but what do you see in Gullan I’m missing, cause I’m limited in what I see.