The New Raith Rovers Thread

55 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Gullan comes on to replace him, but, McKay goes off at HT, both changes move the formation to a back four but still afforded the backs to move up?

On the most simple level, yes...so do we judge the 2 goals in the first half as a result of the experiment only, or does the replacement of Bene play into the zero goals in the second. Just wondering if there's something there. We saw Bene moving up a few times, but he seemed pretty invisible.

On the most simple level, yes...so do we judge the 2 goals in the first half as a result of the experiment only, or does the replacement of Bene play into the zero goals in the second. Just wondering if there's something there. We saw Bene moving up a few times, but he seemed pretty invisible.
I'm not getting how people think us playing with a back 5 yesterday was an experiment?

Pushing an extra man into midfield let us get a grip of the game in the middle of the pitch allowing us the time to play it out as the play moved away from the edge of our boxrather than the long balls that durnan and buchanan were moping up with ease resulting in us having to defend as soon as we tried to get out. Its a bit harsh to pin any blame on bene for that. Mcglynn got his tactics wrong in the first half and even said as much in his interview.

Turns out that losing that East Fife game in the manner we did was the best possible thing for our season. 

We haven't really looked back since, and whilst it was disappointing to draw yesterday, the manner in which we came back from 2-0 down was very pleasing. There's a real spirit about this side, feels like an actual team this year. 

Great to see and hear the South Stand rocking in the second half, makes a huge difference. Decent attendance too. 

I don't get to many games due to work but I was there yesterday. It's strange, despite being 2 down at half time, I knew we weren't going to lose. There's certainly a great team spirit, which is something that's been lacking in the past few seasons.
The atmosphere was great too, fair play to the young lads at the back of the stand. I know it's only October but I'm feeling rather optimistic.

1 hour ago, JAR said:

A big thank you to everyone who paid in to "Pie for a Player" . I hope everyone brings another spare tenner (or what you can afford ) next week.

Well said that man. I assume you were one of the collectors yesterday so a big Thanks to you and the other guys for helping out. Also a Thanks to the fans who gave a tenner. 

8 hours ago, grumswall said:

I'm not getting how people think us playing with a back 5 yesterday was an experiment?

...Its a bit harsh to pin any blame on bene for that. Mcglynn got his tactics wrong in the first half and even said as much in his interview.

Never called that the experiment, it was the midfield rotation in the first half that was a mess.

Haven’t apportioned blame, simply asking if the change in results was strictly related to formation changes or possibly also related to personnel. I can’t judge as effectively, as watching on Raith TV doesn’t allow the view of the off the ball interactions and movement that viewing in person does.

Never called that the experiment, it was the midfield rotation in the first half that was a mess.
Haven’t apportioned blame, simply asking if the change in results was strictly related to formation changes or possibly also related to personnel. I can’t judge as effectively, as watching on Raith TV doesn’t allow the view of the off the ball interactions and movement that viewing in person does.
A bit of both I'd say.

Armstrong obviously was crucial in both goals but Gullan also got us up the pitch with his willingness to turn and drive forward. If we'd played Gullan from the start instead of McKay and left Miller at right wing back I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest we'd have coped a lot better than we did in that first half.

Fair enough, wasn't just on about you with that though. There's been a few people saying it was an experiment. Miller played cm pre season and it wasnt until the first league game he was put to rb. I thought he was murder till he was put to rb and am yet to see him being effective at cm. He's a very good rb for this level though. As ro sham says it probably was a mix of the two as we would have had to take a cb off anyway but it was definitely more about us having more body's in midfield allowing us to push Falkirk deaper and then play out from the back, getting it wide more, which turned the game.

Fair enough, wasn't just on about you with that though. There's been a few people saying it was an experiment. Miller played cm pre season and it wasnt until the first league game he was put to rb. I thought he was murder till he was put to rb and am yet to see him being effective at cm. He's a very good rb for this level though. As ro sham says it probably was a mix of the two as we would have had to take a cb off anyway but it was definitely more about us having more body's in midfield allowing us to push Falkirk deaper and then play out from the back, getting it wide more, which turned the game.

Miller is our top goalscorer with 5 goals to his name already. It’s only October. He’s not just ‘very good’. He’s absolutely brilliant.

He keeps going then come the end of the season he’ll be on double figures playing at RB.

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

A bit of both I'd say.

Armstrong obviously was crucial in both goals but Gullan also got us up the pitch with his willingness to turn and drive forward. If we'd played Gullan from the start instead of McKay and left Miller at right wing back I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest we'd have coped a lot better than we did in that first half.

Nice to see you've changed your mind regarding that 'bang average player Gullan'. But I agree and you'd hope that he gets a start in the next league game against Clyde.

On a side issue, it's great seeing the pars almost propping up the championship but I'd rather see Aye get promoted to to the SPL and Partick relegated just to GIRFU jobby McCall. Also financially that would be more beneficial to us if we were promoted as both Dundee Utd and the Pars would bring more than Ayr and Partick.

11 minutes ago, philpy said:

Cheers. As I mentioned earlier, I bought some old training gear and one of the tops has number 55 on it, just couldn't think who wore that number.

If it smells slightly of tropical fruit it's probably Mango's.

And if it is his t'll be a bargain. It'll be like new, it only ever got worn for a month and a half a season.