The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, philpy said:

Christ. We have dingwall returning, baird arriving, and Matthews to come back at some point. Selection headache...

Mate, My head burst earlier at the thought that we have signed players that may not even reach the bench because we can't list the entire squad.

16 minutes ago, grumswall said:
53 minutes ago, Wardy said:
Aye the Pars have started well also...

Murray's injured just now in fairness but from what iv been told by a mate who is a par, he looks their best defender so far. Its criminal we played him out of position for the most.

Maybe, but give me Anderson any day. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Absolutely, the man is a consummate pro. Listening to that interview was a master class in what to say to the press in an interview...praise the teammates effort and play, downplay his own effort, happy to be here, just want to contribute, most important is clean sheets, chipping in  a few would be nice. Such a great addition to the team!

What strikes me about him is he's not actually that tall in comparison to the boys he's absolutely out classing in the air. First 20 minutes, he was raging at geordie for not giving him the shout, even though he had the awareness to let it run anyway. Even davo shut up listening to the guys wisdom.

6 hours ago, grumswall said:
7 hours ago, troy said:
This is beginning to feel like another topic should be discussed on its own.Is Steven Anderson the best defender in the League what a player and good at interviews as well.

That topic has already been closed. There was no argument against it.

Exactly, it’s been Higgins all season and that was ratified at a very high level!!!

So a starting line up at full strength would be:

Munro

Davidson

S. Anderson

Benedictus

Miller

MacDonald

Hendry

Matthews (injured) 

Spencer

Vaughan

Baird (until January) 

Subs: McGurn, G. Anderson (hard to sub him though, he’s been brilliant since coming back), Dingwall, McKay, Gullan (until January) , Allan, Bowie.

Victoria, Watson, Tait, Mendy, Smith (injured) Thomson (injured) 

Decent enough depth now. Sort the away form and we are laughing. 

100% it all depends upon these 2 Away games this season, if it’s full 6pts, great stuff, if say it’s 4pts and other results go our way, also fine. But anything less ie. 2 draws, or even a win & a lose, leagues gone and it will be the playoffs - I know it’s early and will be knee jerk, but we’ve rectified the problem areas as mentioned. So surely to f**k, the we’ve rectified the ridiculously cheap goals that have become the norm away from home... 🤞🏻

13 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

100% it all depends upon these 2 Away games this season, if it’s full 6pts, great stuff, if say it’s 4pts and other results go our way, also fine. But anything less ie. 2 draws, or even a win & a lose, leagues gone and it will be the playoffs - I know it’s early and will be knee jerk, but we’ve rectified the problem areas as mentioned. So surely to f**k, the we’ve rectified the ridiculously cheap goals that have become the norm away from home... 🤞🏻

Jesuschristalmighty man, less than a quarter gone, new formation, new players settling in, injured ones returning and as positive a display as we've seen in weeks. Many, many more ups and downs to come - suspensions, injuries, rearranged fixtures, cup runs, players leaving etc, and all of these at every club - not just ours - but 2 draws in next 2 games and we're gubbed? I'm not sure a knee can jerk that high. Well, not at my age anyway.

We've been calling for a back 3 to try and stem the leaking of goals for a while now. Here's hoping it'll sort things out away from home. 

Bad as we are at times in defence, home fixtures have never been the problem. We're brilliant at home and have been for three years. Sadly we have been an unmitigated disaster on the road during the same time. 

We've changed our formation - let's see how it works. 

Judge the next three as a package. All tough, all games we’re capable of losing at our worst, and winning at our best.

A defeat on Saturday is fine if we follow it up with two wins, leaving us with 18 points from Q1 (x4 = 72, enough to at least challenge) and a slightly easier on paper Q2 to come (five home games, only Falkirk from expected top 5 away). Equally a win on Saturday isn’t valuable if we follow it with two defeats.

Would be great to get away from this vicious cycle of gonna win the league/sack the board depending on if we’ve won or lost.

Everyone knows how contrasting our home and away form has been for the last few years but I have looked back to see just how bad. Apologies if it has been done before but since John Hughes took over our record in league games at home is as follows:

Played: 45, Won: 33, Drawn: 9, Lost: 3, Goals for: 99, Goals Against: 35. 

We have won 108 points at an average of 2.4 per game with a goal difference of +64.

Our away record is:

Played: 46, Won: 13, Drawn: 14, Lost: 19, GF: 74, GA: 76.

Giving us 53 points at an average of 1.15 per game with a goal difference of -2. 

Doesn’t really prove much that we didn’t already know. Our home record is very good, our away record is very poor. We still score a good amount away from home but we have conceded more than double the amount of goals we have at home.

Hopefully, with Anderson added, Vaughan back and a change to a more solid looking formation we can finally turn the corner. I’m cautiously optimistic after Saturday but history suggests our home form has no real connection to our away form, let’s hope we can buck that trend over the next couple of weeks.