The New Raith Rovers Thread

The thing is how do you know they are getting the defensive training they require? Back in the day players like Campbell and Andrew's were already accomplished defender's.  Mcglynn has had almost a year to sort things out and we are still struggling. 

Need to swap McKay for Benny as he is the weak link just watched match highlights from yesterday, Davidson had a good game yesterday in my opinion

There really is no excuse for not changing things for the cup game but it wouldn't surprise anyone if it wasn't. 
He'll definitely make changes for the cup game. That's not to say the changes will have any bearing on how we line up in our next league match, right enough.

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
57 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
There really is no excuse for not changing things for the cup game but it wouldn't surprise anyone if it wasn't. 

He'll definitely make changes for the cup game. That's not to say the changes will have any bearing on how we line up in our next league match, right enough.

I've heard that June McArdle is in goals, looking to keep a clean sheet, Tony and Eric in midfield keeping the ball on the deck and Pastor Jim up top (where else) hoping for ascension to the next round.

11 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I've heard that June McArdle is in goals, looking to keep a clean sheet, Tony and Eric in midfield keeping the ball on the deck and Pastor Jim up top (where else) hoping for ascension to the next round.

But will they still insist on passing the ball slowly from side to side across the back line?

If we have money available to sign someone I’d really rather we signed a proper holding midfielder than Baird or Armstrong (not that he’d be signing for us anyway). I wasn’t there yesterday but from people who were, plus the highlights, it looks like we continually get caught too far up the park leaving the opposition a free run at our defence. We lost two goals at Stranraer in the same fashion. Matthews is likely going to be out for a good few months so this is a perfect opportunity to address a growing problem - if there is someone available, that is.

Someone sat in front of the back four allows Spencer and Hendry a bit more licence to go beyond and get forward. As it has been over the last few weeks those two plus RM have been caught way too high too many times and it means we’re really vulnerable. That coupled with both full backs playing high means it should be no surprise we’re losing goals from balls down the channels and then cut backs into the box.

Think about how many goals we’ve lost due to a quick transition. The holding midfielder negates that problem by a sizeable amount.

46 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If we have money available to sign someone I’d really rather we signed a proper holding midfielder than Baird or Armstrong (not that he’d be signing for us anyway). I wasn’t there yesterday but from people who were, plus the highlights, it looks like we continually get caught too far up the park leaving the opposition a free run at our defence. We lost two goals at Stranraer in the same fashion. Matthews is likely going to be out for a good few months so this is a perfect opportunity to address a growing problem - if there is someone available, that is.

Someone sat in front of the back four allows Spencer and Hendry a bit more licence to go beyond and get forward. As it has been over the last few weeks those two plus RM have been caught way too high too many times and it means we’re really vulnerable. That coupled with both full backs playing high means it should be no surprise we’re losing goals from balls down the channels and then cut backs into the box.

Think about how many goals we’ve lost due to a quick transition. The holding midfielder negates that problem by a sizeable amount.

In all honesty, this was the same problem we had last season. We've completely failed to address it. Last season, I think we lost three games up in Angus (Forfar away the first time, Brechin away the second time and Montrose away the first time) and the first derby in Methil when we'd had the ball in the opposition half and they counter attack to score.  While it's easy to point at the defence (and I'm guilty of this) it's not always straightforward.  We've had three holding midfielders last season and it re-occured time and time again. In all honesty, barring a loanee of some variety it's hard to see who on earth we could get in to replace what we've got whether as a holding midfielder (unless we sign a right back and put Miller in there) or a centre back. 

6 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

On the roaringback chat. I think it’s probably fair game to use it until we’re out of the this league, so probably be prepared for another 3 or 4 seasons of it 

Noting you elected to say “out” versus “promoted out”.

If Matthews is confirmed as a fractured socket, that’s generally a month and a half to three months out.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Noting you elected to say “out” versus “promoted out”.

If Matthews is confirmed as a fractured socket, that’s generally a month and a half to three months out.

Got to be honest, hadn’t considered getting out of it by being relegated to League Two, but it’s the Rovers. Never say never 

1 minute ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

What about Sam Wardrop at Utd? He's not had a look in and we  need an actual right-back, possibility for a loan deal? 

I would move Miller into the holding role to give Spencer and Hendry a bit more freedom. 

He's still recovering from a cruciate, so I'm not sure when he'll be back - but I have October in my head for some reason.

He's also Sons daft.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

An odd one, but any hints on what John Herron is like?

One of the most bizarre transfer rumours I can remember us is that we've had an £80k bid rejected by Glentoran for him. 

I'm hoping its shite as I cant remember hearing any of you raving about him at any point.

He chipped in with a few important goals, but was very injury prone and always looked like he was playing within himself and could have offered a good bit more. 

You wouldn't have to look too far to get better for 80 grand. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That's Daniel Armstrong away from Ross County. Picked up a league winners medal and a challenge cup but rarely featured from the look of things. Interesting to see if he gets another championship club or whether he'll go to Falkirk.

Can see him back at the Pars or possibly Queen of the South since he played with AJ before.

We might see more movement on loans in the next couple of weeks. Today is the deadline for Premiership and Championship clubs so after that League One becomes the best option for anyone looking to loan a player out in this country. I’m sure that’s how Dumbarton managed to get Dom Thomas last year. Not sure if there is anything left in the budget though.

However, if our non existent budget could stretch to Armstrong, Baird, Callachan and David Ferguson, just released from Ayr, that would be great...

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Can see him back at the Pars or possibly Queen of the South since he played with AJ before.

We might see more movement on loans in the next couple of weeks. Today is the deadline for Premiership and Championship clubs so after that League One becomes the best option for anyone looking to loan a player out in this country. I’m sure that’s how Dumbarton managed to get Dom Thomas last year. Not sure if there is anything left in the budget though.

However, if our non existent budget could stretch to Armstrong, Baird, Callachan and David Ferguson, just released from Ayr, that would be great...

Just seen that Ferguson has signed for Peterhead.