The New Raith Rovers Thread

Biggest frustration for me is that the key weaknesses continue to be those that McGlynn showed so much strength in his previous tenure. Poor defence and soft as shit attitude when any kind of pressure is applied. 

He was known for his Rovers sides being a bit agriculture in his previous tenure, and it almost seems like he's desperate to prove he can provide a team that plays good football. However at times this is leading to pointless passing in non dangerous areas that ultimately leads to nothing and is at the expense of good defending and any kind of back bone. 

I would love to see us play the type of football he is trying to implement, but first and foremost I want out this fucking league. Games like yesterday for example demanded the type of quality this squad seems to lack. And failing to find that means no promotion, again. 

Edited by CALDERON

For me, McGlynn has done a decent job of sorting us out on a budget. Allan has shown he can hold the ball up and bring teammates into play. McDonald is a good left back who gets forward and puts crosses in. Midfield has been looking good with Spencer, Hendry and Matthews. Bowie has been a good find. Gullane looked good against Montrose. I thought the first XI look decent enough.

The glaring omission to the comprehensive overhaul of the squad is the centre back pairing. On their own Davidson and Bene are decent enough players but they do not work as a pairing.

Davidson and McKay were shown to work a while back. Whether that would still be the case or not I don’t know. If he doesn’t want to do that he could always go back to his 3 centre backs and wing backs pushing on strategy that he employed last time in this league. Will Mendy ever make the grade? If he does he would be another option.

If this is going to be another season where we’re great at home but can’t build any sort of momentum because we’re shite away from home then everyone is just going to get frustrated. It will have an inevitability about it, which will probably lead to another play-off defeat.

We can only hope that Vaughan and Dingwall (and possibly Baird) add to our capabilities and depth of squad and that McGlynn gets his finger out and actually tries to sort out our defensive woes.

An odd one, but any hints on what John Herron is like?

One of the most bizarre transfer rumours I can remember us is that we've had an £80k bid rejected by Glentoran for him. 

I'm hoping its shite as I cant remember hearing any of you raving about him at any point.

We signed him as a replacement for Ross Callachan when he went to Hearts and he was no where fucking near as good or effective as him. I’m sure you’ll have your own conclusions to draw from that. Not a chance in hell hes good enough for the premiership.

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We signed him as a replacement for Ross Callachan when he went to Hearts and he was no where fucking near as good or effective as him. I’m sure you’ll have your own conclusions to draw from that. Not a chance in hell hes good enough for the premiership.

Aye I had a worry this was what I'd get told. Its hopefully just a load of shite. Cheers 👍

15 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If you'd told me John Herron was now playing for Glenrothes, I'd have believed you.

Great 😂

If they draw, East Fife will be top of League One. Hope it happens. Hope they get their bit of glory that they deserve. I mean it won’t last, but it gives them a chance to take a screenshot of the league table.

Fife pecking order
Dunfie
Methil Milan
Lino boys
Cow dung
But you boys need to look behind you

I hope we all realise that any slim chance of a change in defensive pairing for the next game went up in smoke when Matthews bust his face.

Millar to midfield, McKay to right back. As you were.

I suspect Mendy will get a chance against Falkirk next week in the Challenge Cup. At least he should, as should the rest of yesterday’s bench. Maybe if he plays well he’ll stay in for the Peterhead match.

On yesterday, I agree with McGlynn to a large degree and really don’t think it’s as simple as the centre backs. If we’re hypercritical and want to assign blame for all the goals, the first is really down to Jamie Gullan cheaply losing the ball in the middle of the park. It’s then the centre backs against the East Fife attack - this is a consequence of how we play, Stranraer got their winner from it, Dumbarton/Clyde made a few chances from it, and Spencer/Matthews both got yellows cards against Montrose last week for hauling down the attacker. Davidson gets done a little bit by Wallace by diving in but nobody can stop everything, and Miller still isn’t back in position by the time the ball is rolled across the box because he’s so high up the pitch. But it all comes from Gullan losing the ball with only the centre backs behind him.

The second comes from McGurn really, if he clears it as he should there’s no chance there. Miller and Davidson are both very slow to react as the ball comes back though. Matthews loses his man for the third, and the fourth doesn’t really matter to be honest, it wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t chasing an equaliser.

That’s not to say Davidson/Benedictus played well, they had some very hairy moments in the first half that should’ve been punished. The header off the bar and the chance that was skied from six yards were both 100% their fault, but I’m not sure just chucking Dave McKay in with one of them solves everything, or indeed anything. Not to say I wouldn’t try it, but I can sympathise with the manager to a certain degree.

Having said that, since our total collapse in away form in about October of Barry Smith’s season, we’ve been crying out for a change in approach away from home but both managers we’ve had have been utterly determined to play the same way as we do at Starks. I’d try a 3-5-2, keeps our strong midfield three, but gives a bit more protection to what is quite clearly a fragile defence. A bit more height at set-pieces is clearly not going to hurt either. We simply need to try something new or it’s broadly 60 points again in the best case scenario.

I hope we all realise that any slim chance of a change in defensive pairing for the next game went up in smoke when Matthews bust his face.

Millar to midfield, McKay to right back. As you were.

*insert near to tears gif here*

Mistakes / individual errors aside, Davidson and Benedictus both allowed themselves to be far too easily rattled by the referee yesterday. He was pish and his decisions were massively inconsistent but they were both getting more and more wound up by this as the game went on. I think it effected their game and was a distraction. I understand it, because it was bloody frustrating to watch, however they’re experienced pros and should be able  to rise above these situations and focus instead on the aspects of they game they can control. Likewise Davo took the bait, from a couple of the East Fife players, too easily in the second half. He’s lucky he only ended up with a booking. Yeah, these situations have to be annoying for them but they’re all part and parcel of the game and they both just seemed far too easily distracted by them. 

Edited by Nairney