The New Raith Rovers Thread

Whats the purpose of the supporters fund if were not spending it? So far we’ve given Bowie a long contract on better terms id imagine. Why haven’t we made any movements in the loan market? Other teams have been in recent weeks.

Think about it this way, if we brought a player in, using the supporters fund to help pay the wages, what happens if the contributions stop and we can no longer afford to pay him? We would need regular contributions for a good while until there was enough to cover his contract surely?

On the subject of loans, what is the consensus on where we need them? 

I actually quite like Allan, he is a good footballer and does a good job holding the ball up and bringing others into play. I’d still like to see another striker brought in though. The question is whether to go for someone in a similar mould to Allan that can hold up and bring our midfield into play so we can keep the same style of play. Or go with a quicker player that offers something in behind the defence as a different option, I think that would be my preference.

I had previously thought we needed another winger but I’ve been impressed by Bowie and Anderson so far. With Vaughan and Dingwall coming back and most likely to play wide in the current system as well as Victoria and Smith I think we are well covered there.

I think we definitely need another option in the centre of midfield. Spencer, Hendry and Matthews have been excellent but an injury to any of them would mean a change in system or either playing a 17 year old with no further back up or moving Miller from right back into the middle leaving us with an issue at right back once again. I can’t imagine it’s an easy job to convince teams to loan us a player to sit on the bench and be injury cover though.

I still have doubts about Bene (in particular) and Davo as a centre back pairing but a loan signing there when we have McKay, Mendy and Miller capable of filling in seems unlikely. 

It all depends on how much faith McGlynn has in the young players. He was criticised by some in pre season because he wanted to give Bowie a chance due to his performances in training. He has definitely been vindicated there. If he sees something similar in Smith and Tait he may not want to block their pathway with loan players. It may be wise to keep a loan or two up his sleeve to utilise when injuries develop in certain areas rather than trying to pre-empt them at this stage.

Edited by R.R.FC

7 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

On the subject of loans, what is the consensus on where we need them? 

I actually quite like Allan, he is a good footballer and does a good job holding the ball up and bringing others into play. I’d still like to see another striker brought in though. The question is whether to go for someone in a similar mould to Allan that can hold up and bring our midfield into play so we can keep the same style of play. Or go with a quicker player that offers something in behind the defence as a different option, I think that would be my preference.

I had previously thought we needed another winger but I’ve been impressed by Bowie and Anderson so far. With Vaughan and Dingwall coming back and most likely to play wide in the current system as well as Victoria and Smith I think we are well covered there.

I think we definitely need another option in the centre of midfield. Spencer, Hendry and Matthews have been excellent but an injury to any of them would mean a change in system or either playing a 17 year old with no further back up or moving Miller from right back into the middle leaving us with an issue at right back once again. I can’t imagine it’s an easy job to convince teams to loan us a player to sit on the bench and be injury cover though.

I still have doubts about Bene (in particular) and Davo as a centre back pairing but a loan signing there when we have McKay, Mendy and Miller capable of filling in seems unlikely. 

It all depends on how much faith McGlynn has in the young players. He was criticised by some in pre season because he wanted to give Bowie a chance due to his performances in training. He has definitely been vindicated there. If he sees something similar in Smith and Tait he may not want to block their pathway with loan players. It may be wise to keep a loan or two up his sleeve to utilise when injuries develop in certain areas rather than trying to pre-empt them at this stage.

I think I'd like an attacker who could play wide, well in a 4-4-2. I think in Anderson and Victoria that McGlynn has two guys he can use in the current 4-3-3 quite well. Both are strong and fast, both can do the inside forward role where you get them in between centre back and full back. I'm not particularly enthused about either of them trying to cross a ball from the byline with any degree of success. Vaughan will play much the same role - playing a bit wider and drifting inside. 

Don't get me wrong, I really like the current system but I do suspect we may at times want or need to change it, in which case I'd like someone who would offer us that ability to go to the byline and get a good cross in. 

The other one would be full back cover. If Miller had to move up into midfield for any reason we could move Watson out there but I'm not convinced he's going to make it. Could put McKay in there but who knows if he'd be needed at centre back anyway. MacDonald getting injured offers us no cover whatsoever.

I actually think we’re pretty well covered in all areas other than left back and possibly centre mid. It’s a tough sell to the loaning team to get one of their prospects in but telling them they’ll be 4th choice. We won’t be getting another striker, we have 4 players who can play there - and I’m happy with all of them. Wide we have 5 possibles once Vaughan and Dingwall come back in.

I think we’ll see us running with what we have until either 1) January or 2) we get a serious injury and need a replacement right away. I suspect it’ll be option 2.

33 minutes ago, renton said:

Craig Ferguson (AKA Bing Hitler) middle right.

John Lennon top left.

Personally I think we need two loan players. A right back this would also free up Miller who can play centre mid or centre half providing much needed cover and a striker. Vaughan is returning but who knows if he will stay fit, but if he does he can play a number 10 role but can also drop into midfield or go wide. We need competition up front as we cannot rely on a 16 year old albeit with loads of potential and an 18 year old with injuries concerns for the past 2 seasons scoring us enough goals.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, renton said:

Looks like rafa benitez was a fan aswell (just to the right of keanu)

I actually thought it was a younger version of old Bert from Still Game.

8 hours ago, renton said:

Nah it’s Cliff Michelmore rubbing his hands in the bottom left.

Edited by Scottydog

We just need some more bodies to fill jerseys at times like this,  another few of the youths like Berry, Valentine and Stevenson would have made handy bench fillers or even playing subs in midweek.

If we can plod along still picking up results until Lewis and Tony return then we should be ok barring a major injury to someone critical.

All the time that McGlynn stays out of the loan market the more the crowd fund grows, in this respect if we can get to The next window without dipping into it then there may be enough funds to bring someone fresh in that can upset the opposition. I’m a great fan of bringing in new faces half way through as it’s paid dividends in the past.

I don’t see any particular position that could be radically improved with a young loanee so I’m not too fussy for bringing one in at the moment, but if we were to then as suggested surely it have to be a player who can play anywhere up and down the left hand side to give us full/wing back or even left midfield options.

Miller Is preferred RB but both Watson or McKay can fill in.

McDonald is doing well for us, but there isn’t much in the way of cover for that position.

Bene and Davo are 1st choice CBs but McKay and Mendy are good cover. In he direst of emergencies even Ando could fill in there.

In the middle Hendry, Matthews and Spencer are different class and when Dingwall and Vaughan are added to Victoria, Anderson and Tait then it shouldn’t need adding cover to.

Allan, Bowie, Anderson, Smith and Vaughan when fit are all decent options depending on the combinations.

When I look at it like that, then as suggested it’d really only be another unfortunate long term injury that would force us to dip in o the marketplace.

21 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Cliff Mitchelmore jings another one for the teenagers, The guy in the Shades is Ray Swift a Rovers supporting Manc who wos an old workmate of my good self and a certain Mr Alan Innes. 

I recognised him Dod, he’s still at games is he not?