The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not so sure I’d agree with the recruitment being good... going with a hybrid of some part time was supposed to see us be able to attract the best part timers out there.

Anderson: Backwards step. Was only average in his prime, doesn’t have enough to improve us.

Miller: Quite like him but his injury problems don’t seem to be gone. Signing an injury prone player with our recent record is a huge risk.

Spencer: Big disappointment for me. Don’t think he brings anything to the team. Gillespie was a better player and we were supposed to be making improvements to the squad.

We absolutely need to be looking at the loan market for a right back or centre half.

8 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Not so sure I’d agree with the recruitment being good... going with a hybrid of some part time was supposed to see us be able to attract the best part timers out there.

Anderson: Backwards step. Was only average in his prime, doesn’t have enough to improve us.

Miller: Quite like him but his injury problems don’t seem to be gone. Signing an injury prone player with our recent record is a huge risk.

Spencer: Big disappointment for me. Don’t think he brings anything to the team. Gillespie was a better player and we were supposed to be making improvements to the squad.

We absolutely need to be looking at the loan market for a right back or centre half.

Anderson is a backwards step from who? Flanagan? I'd take Anderson any day of the week. 

You are writing off players in July when we have played one game against a side in the league we are in (where we won at a canter and every player you mentioned there played well)

Agree about the RB and Centre half, but writing players off after a grand total of 2 weeks competitive action is premature. 

Edited by CALDERON

27 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Gillespie was vastly overrated. I wouldn’t have been against keeping him, but Hendry, Matthews and Spencer will hopefully give us some more drive in the middle.

I think Spencer looked good against Peterhead. To say he’s worse than Gillespie after seeing him play a few matches is just ridiculous. 

The panic on here is mental, and ridiculously unnecessary. The FB page is just utter nonsense. The reaction is that of old firm fans thinking we should be beating anyone who’s a “smaller” club.

We are currently a League One Jobber outfit. There’s no denying it. 

Seeing our squad and comparing it to other teams in League one, I still think we’ll be in the top four though. 

Spencer a big disappointment, what games have you been watching? From the games I’ve seen (Dundee & Inverness), he was excellent in the Dundee game and we missed him massively I think in the Inverness game. Going by the highlights that’s I’ve watched also when he’s been playing he also looks good.

Still though, whether you agree with me or KDawg, it’s still very early days, let’s assess the end of Q1. Much like people should give Allan a chance up top.

Right now, I’d opt for a loan at Centre Half, rather Right Back, as I was hugely impressed when Miller played there (albeit from what I heard/what I seen on the highlights). As much as I’m fully behind McGlynn, I don’t think he’ll bring in a Centre half though (f#cking change it McGlynn!).

Anderson is a backwards step from who? Flanagan? I'd take Anderson any day of the week. 

Not Flanagan, but if Anderson is the best part time winger/forward we can attract then we would be as well not bothering. When Dingwall and Vaughan come back, where does that leave the likes of Anderson? We could potentially have Vaughan, Dingwall, Victoria, Anderson and Bowie all vying for two places yet next to nothing at right back.

2 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Not Flanagan, but if Anderson is the best part time winger/forward we can attract then we would be as well not bothering. When Dingwall and Vaughan come back, where does that leave the likes of Anderson? We could potentially have Vaughan, Dingwall, Victoria, Anderson and Bowie all vying for two places yet next to nothing at right back.

5 players for 2 positions and 3 players for RB. 

I can’t wait for the reactions if MacDonald gets injured..

WHY YOU NO SIGN A BACKUP LB MCGLYNN???

Ideally I would have liked us to get in a RB who naturally plays there, but for whatever reason John thinks we have enough cover there. We’ve seen all 3 play there at some point over the last 8 games. Miller would be first choice. If he can play RB then he’s a RB.

Maybe John signed him and told him, look I know you like to play in midfield but I need you at RB because I can’t get anyone else. 

Maybe I’m John McGlynn? Maybe Hank Scorpio is John McGlynn. Shouldn’t we all be John McGlynn? 

12 minutes ago, Wardy said:

5 players for 2 positions and 3 players for RB. 

I can’t wait for the reactions if MacDonald gets injured..

WHY YOU NO SIGN A BACKUP LB MCGLYNN???

Ideally I would have liked us to get in a RB who naturally plays there, but for whatever reason John thinks we have enough cover there. We’ve seen all 3 play there at some point over the last 8 games. Miller would be first choice. If he can play RB then he’s a RB.

Maybe John signed him and told him, look I know you like to play in midfield but I need you at RB because I can’t get anyone else. 

Maybe I’m John McGlynn? Maybe Hank Scorpio is John McGlynn. Shouldn’t we all be John McGlynn? 

If you are John Mcglynn then why the f**k did you sign Mendy?

9 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

East Fife thicko can’t count to 3, even with the aid of a calculator. Is anyone surprised. Tazz probably tried to eat the calculator.

I think Scary Bear has just exploded ? or was that thunder ?  :eek: 

Gillespie was vastly overrated. I wouldn’t have been against keeping him, but Hendry, Matthews and Spencer will hopefully give us some more drive in the middle.
I think Spencer looked good against Peterhead. To say he’s worse than Gillespie after seeing him play a few matches is just ridiculous. 
The panic on here is mental, and ridiculously unnecessary. The FB page is just utter nonsense. The reaction is that of old firm fans thinking we should be beating anyone who’s a “smaller” club.
We are currently a League One Jobber outfit. There’s no denying it. 
Seeing our squad and comparing it to other teams in League one, I still think we’ll be in the top four though. 

I personally don’t think the Rovers will make top four with that squad, defence is dire and Mcglynn is clueless, Falkirk,Forfar,East Fife and Montrose will finish above us if changes are not made

I think I might just come back some time mid week when everyone’s buzzing for the league opener. 
Betfred Cup is glorified pre-season for us. Aye it hasn’t went well, but we’ve never been great in it since it started.
John is clearly not a fan of it either. That’s not to say that he should use that as an excuse, but when he’s saying so in interviews, the players can see this too. 

Exactly the same as Dick. Easy to get frustrated about these games but then you remember the management team see them as glorified friendlies.

9 minutes ago, Hottoddy22 said:

Rumour is Mendy getting loaned out to Fort William in the Highland league

Well, overall that would improve their defense...marginally. Would likely improve ours significantly.

Actually, looking at the highlights, I’m seeing him better positioned over the last couple of game when he was subbed on. Perhaps we are seeing improvement...perhaps pigs can fly.

Mental.

I'm just relieved to find our RB isn't injured. 

I'm not sure what we'll end up with at CB, but one of Davidson or Benedictus should be starting on the bench. Someone else pointed out that McKay/Davidson had a decent run there albeit two seasons ago, with the problems starting once Bene was shoehorned back into the side. It's worth a shot again, surely? Defensively we haven't really recovered from that point.

I saw a stat spreadsheet  (with a gambling focus, admittedly) showing last season that we were the top side  for success on those "both teams to score" coupons - 83% of our games last season. We were miles ahead over everyone else, with more than 15 percentage points between us and our nearest challengers. 

I think we all hoped Mendy would slot in well, but he's struggled so far and I worry about playing him at the moment. 

Edited by Michael W

59 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Someone else pointed out that McKay/Davidson had a decent run there albeit two seasons ago, with the problems starting once Bene was shoehorned back into the side. It's worth a shot again, surely? Defensively we haven't really recovered from that point.

What is often forgotten is that there was an experienced (if error prone) keeper behind them, one who Davo didn’t give any shit to, and who constantly talked to his centre backs.