The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Scary Bear said:

That’s a lovely photo. Is there not much happening on the East Fife thread?

Not really. If we'd just been pumped rotten by Cove, I suspect it'd be a bit angstier, but we're going along quite nicely.

Not really. If we'd just been pumped rotten by Cove, I suspect it'd be a bit angstier, but we're going along quite nicely.

If the wheels don’t fall off again, East Fife might make the play-offs.

You got pumped by cowdenbeath or did you forget?

Granted, getting beat by Cowden is a sore one to take but surely getting beat by Cowdenbeath 2-0 isn’t anywhere near as embarrassing as getting beat 3-0 (three-nil) by Cove - a brand new team into the professional leagues this season. The only positive you can take from yesterday is that your marquee signing Mendy wasn’t at fault for any of the goals, just your two most experienced CBs.

I wonder if your lot have actually been allowed out of the changing room yet?

18 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

You got pumped by cowdenbeath or did you forget?

Clearly, but three good results, including beating Championship and Premiership opposition tends to put a better shine on things.

Granted, getting beat by Cowden is a sore one to take but surely getting beat by Cowdenbeath 2-0 isn’t anywhere near as embarrassing as getting beat 3-0 (three-nil) by Cove - a brand new team into the professional leagues this season. The only positive you can take from yesterday is that your marquee signing Mendy wasn’t at fault for any of the goals, just your two most experienced CBs.

I wonder if your lot have actually been allowed out of the changing room yet?

Cove Rangers will finish above Cowdenbeath in the league this season imo.

So them being a brand new team to the league setup doesn’t mean anything really.

Also, despite East Fife fans trying their hardest to laugh at us at the minute, I can still say with a lot of confidence that we’ll finish at least 10 points clear of East Fife this season yet again.

Cove Rangers will finish above Cowdenbeath in the league this season imo.

So them being a brand new team to the league setup doesn’t mean anything really.

Also, despite East Fife fans trying their hardest to laugh at us at the minute, I can still say with a lot of confidence that we’ll finish at least 10 points clear of East Fife this season yet again.

Dont make me laugh. You have more chance of finishing with a goal difference of -10 than finishing 10 points above us.

6 hours ago, mic_17_uk said:

I agree. The cricket score analogy is always a bit silly. A rugby score then, whatever.

Fair enough trying to stay positive, but you could easily have been on the ass end of an ass whooping.

Take your pish away, send back a decent poster like @ffcsam

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

This is the only centre back pairing that hasn't looked like an absolute bomb-scare in the last two years.

Benedictus was shoe horned in there to break that partnership up in Feb 18, when we were top of the league, and defending very well. We have been a defensive cluster f**k ever since. 

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Did you attend the Peterhead game?

Add Vaughan and Dingwall to that and hopefully we’ll be okay going forward. It is a worry that we’ve lost so many goals out the team but going forward against Peterhead we looked really good at times.

Miller looked good at right back, certainly better than the other options of McKay and Watson. I’m not sure if that’s where we intend him to play regularly or if he was just filling in. MacDonald looks decent enough at left back. Certainly better than that guy Crane we had on loan from Livi last season.

Bene and Davidson are a bit hit and miss and I would have played McKay with Davidson in the middle.

It is a worry that McGlynn has had a pre-season to sort that defence and all he’s really done is sign a left back. I can only guess that our finances aren’t great.

I can’t see this being a great season. Probably more defeats as we had a reduced squad and when the injuries and suspensions come we’ll be up against it.

Not sure what we can do about that. Only around 200 punters cared enough to note an interest in the Player Fund and you’ll be lucky if half of that number are still contributing by the end of the season.

No in Spain. We needed a right back last season we need one this season. We needed to punt Davo but haven't. We needed fresh blood at centre half but brought in a chap from France that is likely to be punted during the season. McGlynn has his squad now and if he fails he has no excuses and must walk. I said we should never have gone back and should look for fresh ideas and my favourite for the job was Robson from Aberdeen. 

I think I might just come back some time mid week when everyone’s buzzing for the league opener. 

Betfred Cup is glorified pre-season for us. Aye it hasn’t went well, but we’ve never been great in it since it started.

John is clearly not a fan of it either. That’s not to say that he should use that as an excuse, but when he’s saying so in interviews, the players can see this too. 

17 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

No in Spain. We needed a right back last season we need one this season. We needed to punt Davo but haven't. We needed fresh blood at centre half but brought in a chap from France that is likely to be punted during the season. McGlynn has his squad now and if he fails he has no excuses and must walk. I said we should never have gone back and should look for fresh ideas and my favourite for the job was Robson from Aberdeen. 

Why Robson? He has done absolutely nothing to warrant the job. 

We are more or less full time! I don't just blame Mcglynn the board have some serious questions to answer if the fans can see our defense is still a shambles why cant they?

Sold our two best players to Dunfermline and Mcglynn has recruited poorly apart from Hendry, same poor central defence that has leaked goals last season with the added bombscare (Mendy) ,the board and Mcglynn have to take a long hard look at themselves

Sold our two best players to Dunfermline and Mcglynn has recruited poorly apart from Hendry, same poor central defence that has leaked goals last season with the added bombscare (Mendy) ,the board and Mcglynn have to take a long hard look at themselves

Recruited poorly?

McGurn / Munro - time will tell

MacDonald and Miller - both look decent full backs.

Mendy - complete disaster.

Hendry and Spencer - both look decent and should improve mobility of our midfield.

Allan - looks a decent hold-up man and has already scored a few.

Bowie, Victoria, Anderson - all look decent attacking options who should get goals.

Overall, recruitment, in terms of new signings has been okay. Unless we literally let everyone go and started again, I’m not sure how much more McGlynn could do. Mendy has been a disaster so far, and to be honest I can’t see that improving. Swap him for a decent central defender and it’s good recruitment.

For me we’re a bit light in terms of numbers so we’ve little depth to the squad. I assume that’s down to money available.

39 minutes ago, Hottoddy22 said:

Mcgurn and Anderson have looked good, Miller at RB impressed, McDonald has been decent enough, Allan has already got on the scoresheet twice and Spencer looks decent enough so far. 

The problem isn't the players recruited, it's some of the players given extensions and what he hasn't recruited. 

McGlynn has put a huge amount of pressure on himself by starting the new season with Bene and Davidson. If Mendy doesn't work out then it's going to be a hard one to defend him on. 

Hopefully it works out but he won't get much time at all. There's an element of the support just dying to have the chance to stick the boot in, but again, a poor start to the season will be difficult to defend. 

Think people gave Cove a bit of disrespect yesterday also. They are a decent side, and very, very well backed in terms of sponsorship. They are not typical of Highland League football, and will probably go on to win that league or at least challenge. 

Doesn't make 3-0 acceptable, but there were some people on Social Media calling for Mcglynn to go on the back of yesterday (one guy has spent the whole pre season in an absolute rage at all things Rovers) 

It's crunch time now, but we absolutely must give the manager and the team the chance and support to deliver, for now any way.