The New Raith Rovers Thread

What happened with mendy. Couldn’t be in attendance
Rovers turned over the ball in their own box, and Mendy broke up the right hand side. The ball was shuttled back to Watson, who gave Mendy a terrible pass right on the touchline. In a panic to avoid the throw-in, Mendy stabbed the ball back towards the keeper... right into the zone of the defence where he would normally be! A striker was lurking, classic intercepted passback goal ensued.

Other than that, he actually showed some of the dominant traits that we'd expected from him. Made a few blocks, won a few headers.

Difficult to judge against that Peterhead attack though. I think the goal might've been their only shot on target.

Whatever confidence Mendy had when he signed must be completely gone by now. Struggling to see what it is that JM seen in him.

Bowie on the other hand, crazy that he’s only 16 and doesn’t look out of place in the team. Makes some mistakes as you’d expect from a kid, but the effort and running he puts in is fantastic.

It's going to be fashionable to blame Mendy for pretty much every mistake made (and up until now, rightly so), but Watson is nowhere near the level that's required and put him in an awful position tonight. He needs time, and it's something we're running out of before the serious stuff starts. I'd be inclined to play him against Cove and see how he gets on. We won't learn much playing Davidson and Benedictus and I'd imagine regardless of what happens on Saturday they'll be our central pairing come the league opener.

ETA - Miller looks our best option at RB and I hope he makes the position his own.

I'll start with the positives because they were far more numerous than the sole negative.

Bowie was fantastic send should've had man of the match. Aside from a well taken goal he is quick, strong and harried defenders s night. He was confident and any time there was a 50/50 he didn't show an ounce of hesitation. Its early days in his career but we've got a manager who isn't afraid to use him and if he puts in the graft I'm confident he'll kick on. Just give the lad time and hopefully he can follow in the footsteps of Vaughan, Callachan and Matthews.

Aside from Bowie, I felt McDonald looked a lot more confident tonight. A large part of that was down to having Brad Spencer ahead of him. At the end Spencer sprayed a couple of through balls to McDonald and Ando who who run onto them. Miller scored with a cross and looked a natural right back we've been missing. Hendry was excellent as you'd hope though he's still getting up to fitness. Another goal for Lewis Allan too which ideally boosts his confidence.

The one downside is Nando's confidence looks totally shot. He's making daft errors a lot but we've not choice but to bed him into the team.

Good result against a team at our level as albeit one missing a lot of players.

A special mention for Ando running away with a drop ball after the play had been stopped when we'd been in possession. Top tier shithousing.

We looked good tonight. 3-0 up and pretty much in total command. 77 mins Mendy comes on and we look a bit jittery again. Big Mendy gets put under pressure by his own player and makes a poor back pass which is intercepted and it’s 1-3. Before Mendy came on it was looking more like we’d get a fourth. To be fair even after this latest f**k up we could have got a fourth.

I feel that anyone making excuses for Mendy are just really, really wanting him to go from looking the part to actually being a player. I suspect he’ll struggle to make it. Him not speaking English probably makes it difficult to describe where he’s going wrong. Let’s hope that’s not the case and he comes on to a game but at the moment he’s a liability.

We should start the season with the team who started tonight. Play whoever you want against Cove. Harry Ramp, the kitman and Fife Elite.

There is nothing wrong with his English, did you not see his interview?

No. Didn’t he say he doesn’t have much English when they interviewed him on the pitch tonight?

Either way, I don’t really care if he can or can’t. He doesn’t look the part at the moment and I can’t see why we’ve signed him.

I've said everything there is to say about Mendy after the Dundee game so no point going over it again. Watson did him no favours though, it must be said.

That was the only downside tonight as I thought we looked very good for the most part. We are so much better balanced with Miller at right back and Spencer, Matthews and Hendry have the makings of a good midfield three. Allan bagged another goal which will do him no harm.

For me the stand outs were MacDonald and the star man, Bowie. He looks a fantastic prospect.

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've said everything there is to say about Mendy after the Dundee game so no point going over it again. Watson did him no favours though, it must be said.

That was the only downside tonight as I thought we looked very good for the most part. We are so much better balanced with Miller at right back and Spencer, Matthews and Hendry have the makings of a good midfield three. Allan bagged another goal which will do him no harm.

For me the stand outs were MacDonald and the star man, Bowie. He looks a fantastic prospect.

See the source image