The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Exactly, we need an forward, not just an attack minded or forward thinking player or whatever you want to call it.

Even if we signed Knox we'd have Dingwall, Anderson, Vaughan, Knox, Vitoria, Allan, Bowie and Smith. Of them only Vaughan looks like he could get 20 goals and that depends on his fitness which is a huge question mark. For us to be successful we'd need at least a handful of those guys to get to double figures in goals.

I'd agree with this Bowie looks good for a few goals but seems to be getting played out wide so someone to play through the centre if Allan doesn't find his scoring touch wouldn't harm us.

18 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

didnt the gaffer say in a interview that he is looking for goals across the team, not just forward/strikers.

Aye, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the forwards shouldn't be scoring as well. Statistically it'll be them to whom most of our chances land - and if we don't have at least one forward well into double figures by the season end then we realistically will be nowhere near promotion.

Edited by renton

6 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

thought McGlynn said in his last interview last week that he was back doing light rehab, and would be back in full training mid August?

I must've missed that, but if true it's a huge boost.

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Exactly, we need an forward, not just an attack minded or forward thinking player or whatever you want to call it.

image.png.9341bbb873103040f2e71a3980e480ad.png

Anyone wearing a shirt with a number greater than 5... still makes me shudder.

2 hours ago, renton said:

Had it in my head that he wasn't going until the 15th - thought McG said that in one of his interviews. Can't play trialists in the cup either.

Last line in this article:

Edited by Beachbum

37 minutes ago, Raithie said:

We’re going to have to hope we do spread the goals about as I’ve seen nothing to suggest anyone will replicate what Nisbet gave us.

Agree but I think that’s a positive as Vaughan if fit will hit 20  and we have more players capable of scoring this year along with the new formation 

23 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Agree but I think that’s a positive as Vaughan if fit will hit 20  and we have more players capable of scoring this year along with the new formation 

How many seasons has Vaughan managed to stay injury free in his career? Are his injury problems recurring or has he been unlucky with different impact injuries?

Genuinely curious as he’s always looked a cut above against Falkirk in the past and someone I’ve always wanted us to take a punt on. Such a talented player.

Don’t see who the goals are going to come from and don’t have a 20 odd goal scorer yet. It’s the one position we still need to fill I’d say. Still hoping for the big signing McGlynn mentioned earlier, just hope Celtic allow him to come.

9 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

How many seasons has Vaughan managed to stay injury free in his career? Are his injury problems recurring or has he been unlucky with different impact injuries?

Genuinely curious as he’s always looked a cut above against Falkirk in the past and someone I’ve always wanted us to take a punt on. Such a talented player.

Been unlucky in my opinion.

Was our top goal scorer two seasons ago when we were the width of a post from winning the league, out performed other proven goal scorers that we brought in.

15 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I think he's had ACL in both knees, so incredibly unlucky. 

24 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Had a couple of bad knee injuries , he is a cut above and unless he was hampered by the injuries I expect he would have left us by now

We’re going to have to hope we do spread the goals about as I’ve seen nothing to suggest anyone will replicate what Nisbet gave us.

We’ve been trying a bit of a new formation out in the friendlies. McGlynn will know he can’t simply replace Nisbet like-for-like. It looks like we’ll be harder to beat and to be fair we have scored 6 goals in 3 games so if we can have more players scoring, happy days. We’re a lot bigger side this season so would be good to see us become a real danger from corners and free kicks again.

All this chat of we don’t know where the goals will come from? We’ve not been short of chances and goals in the friendlies and having attacking options.

We might not have a 30+ goal striker but would bet Victoria, Anderson and Bowie get 8+ each from forward positions.

Throw in Allan, Vaughan, the raj ginger Dingwall + 1 loan potentially and we’ll be fine.

I actually like the look of Anderson up top. Pace, strength and size.