The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

reading the posts re falkirk i think we are giving them far too much credit. have you all forgotten what happened to dunfirmline. its certainly not a given falkirk will win this league. a couple of good loan signings can and will make a huge difference.

What happened to Dunfermline is very much the exception. 

Keep in mind if you're remembering Dunfermline it's worth remembering we would've pissed the league if Rangers weren't in, had second sown up in February/March.. 

The following season we were rancid, but since then, Full time Morton won the league, a Dunfermline side managed just competently pissed it with consummate ease etc. Comparing the two squads Falkirk win it easy. 

Find the criticism of Ray Mc quite weird aswell, he's got a better track record in the past few years than McGlynn. For Raith to come on top of Falkirk you're needing some amount of stars to align, I hope it happens because I'd prefer Raith up but I can't, which is annoying tbh. 

Allan ffs. 

Keep in mind if you're remembering Dunfermline it's worth remembering we would've pissed the league if Rangers weren't in, had second sown up in February/March.. 

The following season we were rancid, but since then, Full time Morton won the league, a Dunfermline side managed just competently pissed it with consummate ease etc. Comparing the two squads Falkirk win it easy. 

Find the criticism of Ray Mc quite weird aswell, he's got a better track record in the past few years than McGlynn. For Raith to come on top of Falkirk you're needing some amount of stars to align, I hope it happens because I'd prefer Raith up but I can't, which is annoying tbh. 

Allan ffs. 

All fair points apart from McGlynn v McKinnon. McGlynn has achieved more in the game as a manager than McKinnon. Said it before but save for a respectable 4th place in this league with Brechin and a decent 3-4 months of good form with us McKinnon is a dud. You could make a convincing argument that Grant Murray was a better manager for us than Ray.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Allan ffs. 

people are probably corect but i will repeat what i said. its not a given falkirk or any other team will win this league this year. to walk this league falkirk need to be prepared for a far more physical type of foorball. soccer whilst the end result is the same is more physical than the top 2 leagues which just may carch falkirk out. anyway may the most consistant team win the league this year,.

16 minutes ago, Enigma said:

All fair points apart from McGlynn v McKinnon. McGlynn has achieved more in the game as a manager than McKinnon. Said it before but save for a respectable 4th place in this league with Brechin and a decent 3-4 months of good form with us McKinnon is a dud. You could make a convincing argument that Grant Murray was a better manager for us than Ray.

McGlynn hasn't achieved much in the game for a while though. 

He reached his peak in 2011, pulling together a side and putting in a credible title challenge, since then though? 

Dunfermline unfortunately got to play McKinnons Brechin a few times and they were a nightmare. You could argue his fourth place with Raith, with the sides in that division is just as impressive as the second place McGlynn achieved. 

There's not much between what they've achieved but McKinnons achievements are more recent and make him more attractive. 

I hadn’t noticed who Falkirk have signed - as funnily enough, League 1 is not that interesting - just checked and on paper they are all good signings for this level.

I wonder how many of them are living on past glories (see Rory Loy) and just looking for a last gig at the fag-end of their careers. The 3 I Googled are all 32.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He reached his peak in 2011, pulling together a side and putting in a credible title challenge, since then though? 

Dunfermline unfortunately got to play McKinnons Brechin a few times and they were a nightmare. You could argue his fourth place with Raith, with the sides in that division is just as impressive as the second place McGlynn achieved. 

There's not much between what they've achieved but McKinnons achievements are more recent and make him more attractive. 

While he would have had a higher budget, we finished with a higher points total in a  far more difficult league under McKinnon. Since then, McKinnon seems to have lost a bit of his magic he's had. Totally understandable about that point about McGlynn.  

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

True, but McKinnon's failures are also more recent. Would agree that is 4th placed finish with us was impressive, especially given the profile of the teams above us, then again he did have an enormously good January window for us. McGlynn never had the fortune or finances for that.

Edited by renton

I think if McKinnon doesn't get us out of this league his career will pretty much be on a downward spiral. I think he pretty much cost us our place in the championship by trying to not lose and shitebaggery tactics from every team in the league. I must admit I've not a fan of this lone striker philosophy he maintains, that said he's been well backed and hopefully has the personnel to make it work. I don't think there was any great clamour for him when we were looking for a new manager after Hartley, at least he wasn't on my list. But sadly our board's ineptitude at getting him cost us a few bob so we are pretty much stuck with him unless new owners come in and decide they don't want him. It's as big a season for him as much as all the on paper decent signings we have made. I just hope it doesn't go spectacularly wrong. 

Falkirk should and almost certainly will piss this league. To not do so would be a real failure. The one grain of hope is they’ve gone for a quality over quantity approach this season and we all know the pitfalls of that! Let’s hope big Nando can put a few of their better players out for the season on our first meeting. Exactly what Arbroath tried against Vaughan in our first meeting least season.

And Arbroath succeeded

Any team signing guys like Connor Sammon at this level should breeze this league. 
We would need a lot of things to go wrong for Falkirk and a lot of things to go right for us if we were to go up as champions. The hard work we have made of getting out this league is as much down to our own failure as anything else, and a club with Falkirks resources should make light work of getting out this league. 
We've assembled a good League 1 side, which I am personally happy with as that represents a bit of progress from last season, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say our aim will likely be finishing a strong 2nd and winning the playoffs. 

We definitely need to bring in at least another Striker

Don’t think McGlynn has managed a team who finished rock bottom of a division. 

Led both Hearts and Livingston to cup finals, albeit didn’t get to lead them in both. 

McKinnon has just jumped about to clubs that suit. Probably his best ever achievement was finishing 4th with us. 

I didnt know there was that much bad blood between, Raith fans and McKinnon, he wasnt my choice for when Hartley left, but after McCall turned us down at last minute we went for him, and after the compensation we paid for him no way the board were sacking him after he got us relegated, I think he has till November if things aren't going right this season aswell

I didnt know there was that much bad blood between, Raith fans and McKinnon, he wasnt my choice for when Hartley left, but after McCall turned us down at last minute we went for him, and after the compensation we paid for him no way the board were sacking him after he got us relegated, I think he has till November if things aren't going right this season aswell

The manner in which he left is the reason for the bad blood. Had he discussed a contract with Unt after Raith were eliminated from the playoffs, I think the fans would more highly of him.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Utter shite, failing at United, staying 3weeks at Morton and relegating falkirk