The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

Are you guys going with Watson at RB this season or is there someone I've missed? 

It'll be either Miller or McKay at right back I think.

I don't know about all you folks but I'm in full pre-season buzz mode.

Cannot wait for the trip to Inverness.

Really pleased with how early the vast majority of the squad is in place.

Really excited about the new supporters fund initiative too - looking forward to seeing how many take it up and how it builds (hopefully the club is pleasantly surprised and we can get off to a flying start with it! Get badgering your friends and family!!).

I am also buzzing for the 25th anniversary strip launch.

I didn't think I could get to the opening day but can now - so buzzing for the trip to Dumbarton and the bowling club!

Basically, I'm buzzing.

COYR!

Really excited about the new supporters fund initiative too - looking forward to seeing how many take it up and how it builds (hopefully the club is pleasantly surprised and we can get off to a flying start with it! Get badgering your friends and family!!).
I didn't think I could get to the opening day but can now - so buzzing for the trip to Dumbarton and the bowling club!
Basically, I'm buzzing.
COYR!

Just purchased my season ticket, got the same buzz as you, can’t wait for the season to start.

Surprised really by the negative reaction seen on social media to some of our signings. Are these guys marquee signings? No, not really. However we are spending our 3rd consecutive season in this league, and you could make a pretty convincing argument to say this is now our level. The club has limited resources, and has to adapt a different and flexible approach. I would imagine that guys like Mcgurn and Anderson are being brought in partly for their personality, which I have no problem at all with. It’s clear that Mcglynn is trying to build a team rather than a random collection of supposedly talented players who are shoved on a pitch and told to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. If you look at the past few seasons we have had utter shitehawks like Flanagan, Barr, Thomson, Mcmanus et al, supposed “quality” signings in Spence, Buchanan, Wedderburn and Gillespie, as well as not really good enough loan players like Crane, Barjonas and Gullan.

We were outperformed last season by two sides who didn’t look remarkable on paper, but were good teams with a solid foundation. If Mcglynn wants to go down that route I’m happy with that, and he absolutely must be trusted and supported to do the job properly. I admit I am usually one to have a wee grumble and have at previous regimes, but seeing players called out as “utter shite” after seeing them for at the most 1 friendly game is just ridiculous.

The gap between FT and PT is, in my opinion, not as great as it was, so running with a combination of the two to allow us to recruit some decent depth, whilst retaining genuine quality players in the likes of Hendry and Vaughan is a sensible way to go. There is a massive emphasis on these guys staying fit, they simply have to be an ever present part of the squad for this to be any kind of successful season, so theres a wee bit of pressure on there.

Its just pre season, I’ve seen good Rovers sides have poor pre-seasons, and awful sides of have good ones. Anelka’s side had decent results against Dundee Utd and beat East Fife from memory, whilst our 2 best sides since the 90s (Mcglynns 10/11 side and Mckinnons 15/16) had pretty concerning pre seasons. These are glorified kick abouts, so it’s important to not get carried away either way. I’m certainly not going to write of Victoria or Allen cos they looked a bit slugglish in a game of football in June. 

Getting out of League 1 will involve us building a good League 1 side, and I haven’t seen anything at all so far to suggest this isn’t possible. 

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Surprised really by the negative reaction seen on social media to some of our signings. Are these guys marquee signings? No, not really. However we are spending our 3rd consecutive season in this league, and you could make a pretty convincing argument to say this is now our level. The club has limited resources, and has to adapt a different and flexible approach. I would imagine that guys like Mcgurn and Anderson are being brought in partly for their personality, which I have no problem at all with. It’s clear that Mcglynn is trying to build a team rather than a random collection of supposedly talented players who are shoved on a pitch and told to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. If you look at the past few seasons we have had utter shitehawks like Flanagan, Barr, Thomson, Mcmanus et al, supposed “quality” signings in Spence, Buchanan, Wedderburn and Gillespie, as well as not really good enough loan players like Crane, Barjonas and Gullan.

We were outperformed last season by two sides who didn’t look remarkable on paper, but were good teams with a solid foundation. If Mcglynn wants to go down that route I’m happy with that, and he absolutely must be trusted and supported to do the job properly. I admit I am usually one to have a wee grumble and have at previous regimes, but seeing players called out as “utter shite” after seeing them for at the most 1 friendly game is just ridiculous.

The gap between FT and PT is, in my opinion, not as great as it was, so running with a combination of the two to allow us to recruit some decent depth, whilst retaining genuine quality players in the likes of Hendry and Vaughan is a sensible way to go. There is a massive emphasis on these guys staying fit, they simply have to be an ever present part of the squad for this to be any kind of successful season, so theres a wee bit of pressure on there.

Its just pre season, I’ve seen good Rovers sides have poor pre-seasons, and awful sides of have good ones. Anelka’s side had decent results against Dundee Utd and beat East Fife from memory, whilst our 2 best sides since the 90s (Mcglynns 10/11 side and Mckinnons 15/16) had pretty concerning pre seasons. These are glorified kick abouts, so it’s important to not get carried away either way. I’m certainly not going to write of Victoria or Allen cos they looked a bit slugglish in a game of football in June. 

Getting out of League 1 will involve us building a good League 1 side, and I haven’t seen anything at all so far to suggest this isn’t possible. 

Good analysis.

I would say that our strengths are going to be in different areas than they were last season, we should definitely have more mobility in the middle (and Hendry just adds so much quality in there that we only saw briefly last season) and be more robust up front, if you think about a combination of strikers and wingers from Allan, Bowie, Anderson and Victoria. We won't be as pretty or as open, and there will be a temptation to go long quicker than we have done. When Vaughan and Dingwall are back in contention that will add a lot of quality back into the team as well.

I still think we're probably one man short up top, partly because even with Allan, until Vaughan and Smith are back we're relying on Bowie alone to partner Allan. Yes, the door is open to Anderson and Victoria to play more centrally and yes, Bowie actually does look like the real deal even at 16, but moving one of the former removes depth from the wide areas and at 16 confidence will be key for Bowie and we don't know how reliable he'll be at this stage. 

Overall though, I'm actually pretty happy with our signings: Hendry, Spencer and Miller will transform a midfield that was previously lacking in mobility and attitude as much as anything. Our back four combination will probably carry more height even if Mendy is raw and McKay ends up filling in at right back. I'm still unsure on Anderson and Victoria for different reasons, but you know Ando at least will be a reliable athlete and willing runner for a side that last year didn't seem to have the legs over 90 minutes. Up top is always a gamble, Vaughan will be massively important for us up there if he can keep fit, and hopefully we aren't waiting into October for him. For the rest, the best McGlynn can do is sign guys who look like having a good touch in training, who are strong and fast and hopefully find the net on matchday.  You generally don't get guarantees on strikers for the money at this level.

Lastly the keeper situation has been a mess now for a few seasons. Hopefully Munro can do a job and McGurn will be excellent cover. Still not keen on Thompson but we'll see how it goes when he's fit again.

23 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you saying there’s a position going for Raith Rovers official seat cleaner?

Yours if you want it, as many hours a week as you like and totally unpaid, just contact Ally More or Andy Mill.

Buzzing for the Rovers! Booked train tickets this evening to Inverness on the 20th, and setup the standing order for the Supporters Fund.

Anyway, those that post/read on here, please if you can afford too, of course, donate where you can, like previous posts, it’ll make a massive massive difference to the club.

COYR [emoji170][emoji836]️

Bob McGeldof.

Basically, I'm buzzing.
COYR!

IMG_1547.jpg