The New Raith Rovers Thread

Nando was named man of the match and, in fairness, grew into the game as it progressed, making a glorious headed clearance late on. 
However, for me, Regan Hendry was several levels above anyone else on the park. The only issue is that he's mentally so far ahead of everyone else that a couple of moves broke down as no one read what he was about to do. 
I'm probably getting completely carried away, but he looks very much in the Silky Hetherston mould. 

Silky Hetherston! The club should have you selling season tickets - ‘the club have signed this centuries Silky Hetherston, roll up, roll up!’

Dont take a lot from friendlies but quite enjoyed the game.Played some neat stuff but lacked a bit penetration

Although the keeper didnt have a lot to do,good distribution,looked composed and confident

Miller looks a good player

Nando again looks a good player,good in the air,looks to have a bit of pace,pretty composed on the ball and not a hoofer.Always looking for a pass..

Hendry,absoulute stand out and on that kinda form a steal of a signing

McDonald,again looked a good player

Of the newbies was disappointed in Victoria,expected more from him but early days

36 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Nando was named man of the match and, in fairness, grew into the game as it progressed, making a glorious headed clearance late on. 

However, for me, Regan Hendry was several levels above anyone else on the park. The only issue is that he's mentally so far ahead of everyone else that a couple of moves broke down as no one read what he was about to do. 

I'm probably getting completely carried away, but he looks very much in the Silky Hetherston mould. 

He will do well with Vaughan when he returns, 2 class players 

It was our first friendly but Victoria pretty much played as expected. Think we may utilise Vaughan our there as I can't see Victoria doing a consistently good job there. Harsh to judge Allan on a 30 minute appearance aswell but he didn't look up to much.

That's the negatives out the way. Munro looked good. He was making some good saves in the warm up and although he didn't have to make any in the game I think he's an improvement on Lyness. Back 4 all looked pretty good, macdonald was quiet in the first half but better in the second. Nando is a unit who does seem a good find. Watson played well at rb aswell and overall there was a better ballance to the defence.

Miller looked decent enough, a few stray passes but he defended the central areas well enough. Hendry is a cut above anyone else on the pitch today, we are lucky to have him. Bowie played very well and was unlucky not to score, could be a big season for him. He does look like he has the ability to kick on so hopefully his work ethic is good, which appears so from the time he's been on the pitch. Victoria was poor in the first half and lost possession a few times, he's going to be a frustrating player as you can see he does have a bit of skill but he had a good chance but is desperate for the ball to be on his right foot. Ando did well enough up top, not sure he's a permanent solution to a lone striker role though.

It's the first competitive game if the season so we have to let players bed in. Don't know about others but I was pulling my hair out in that first half. It was like last season with tippy tappy shite across the back four which went nowhere. In that first half except for Bowie who was excellent the forwards had little movement in looking for the ball. Bowie is a good looking prospect, but no stuck out on the wing and acting as a cover for the full back. He ain't going to score much there. I thought Allen when he came on had some nice touches and was making a move as soon as he passed the ball, trying to give the player an option. I know it is game 1 but unless we get a striker with a bit of physique then for me it's going to be a long season ahead.

If we're going to be playing that way week in week out then we are going to need a proper target man type for the midfield to play off of, or someone like nizzy who will score the few chances that come his way. The tippy tappy play needs to be played higher up the pitch this season, with Miller potentially playing in front of the back 4 it should allow us to be more direct with it knowing there is a spare man sat in to defend.

If we're going to be playing that way week in week out then we are going to need a proper target man type for the midfield to play off of, or someone like nizzy who will score the few chances that come his way. The tippy tappy play needs to be played higher up the pitch this season, with Miller potentially playing in front of the back 4 it should allow us to be more direct with it knowing there is a spare man sat in to defend.
I don't know what was said at half time but it was a little more direct in parts of the second half. Making more use of the pace of MacDonald and the wide players pkaying more on the shoulder of defenders. We have decent pace up front and playing over the top with width should be a strength in out game.

TBH much rather see the tip tappy stuff across the back four trying to draw opposition forward or in hope of our front players making space than hoofing it aimlessly up the park
The point being though the front players are making no moves into space. In doing that we should be playing it over the defence which wasn't happening at all, particularly in the first half. I think Bowie would be a great we player with a player of height alongside him, not being stuck out in the wing.

It was noticeable macdonald getting forward more and Anderson seing the ball into feet more when we went more direct and there was a couple of decent chances created because of this. The style is effective if done right but we seen it all too many times last season, teams sitting in and allowing us to play it about the back with little penetration... We did score a barrow load but we had a striker who took his few chances when they came along.

Think there will be a lot of tinkering in these games as the management get to see their plans in action.
Sounds a lot more positives than negatives though. 
Definitely alot of positives to take from today. It was a good run out for the players most importantly. First game is all about building fitness.

29 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Good highlights as always, Davo Geez stonewall penalty emoji848.png

I'd say so too, but I don't think the rushed wayward pass from midfield (Hendry?) helped much.

I'd say so too, but I don't think the rushed wayward pass from midfield (Hendry?) helped much.
Aye it was a poor pass from hendry and a stonewaller. Given I had to watch it a few times to see who got the touch though, you can forgive the ref for getting it wrong.

Just watched the highlights impressed with 22 was that Bowie? Had good link up play and a bit of pace. Hendry is going to be a handful and keeping him fit and protected is going to be key looks like there is still work to do they had a stonewall of a penalty we got away with and one headed off the line.

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:
2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:
TBH much rather see the tip tappy stuff across the back four trying to draw opposition forward or in hope of our front players making space than hoofing it aimlessly up the park

The point being though the front players are making no moves into space. In doing that we should be playing it over the defence which wasn't happening at all, particularly in the first half. I think Bowie would be a great we player with a player of height alongside him, not being stuck out in the wing.

Thats been a problem with us for years front players not making moves,one player whos movement off the ball last year was good was buchanan funnily enough.I,m a play from the back,through midfield type guy but understand what your saying,we should be adaptable though where we can do both

Agree with most of the comments on here. We probably just about deserved the win. Of the new players Munro looked confident but wasn't tested much, MacDonald got up and down the park well and looked an upgrade on Crane, Mendy didn't convince early on but went on to play well, Miller was solid enough, and Anderson did a decent job up front. Victoria was pretty hopeless barring a couple of fancy flicks and tricks. Let's hope he's eased out of the side early on.
The two trialists were also disappointing and I wouldn't be unhappy to see them shown the door. No 9 in particular looked slow and unfit.
Of the youngsters Bowie showed more potential but just needs to keep a cooler head in the opposition box while Watson unfortunately is looking unlikely to ever be good enough for us.

Agree with most of the comments on here. We probably just about deserved the win. Of the new players Munro looked confident but wasn't tested much, MacDonald got up and down the park well and looked an upgrade on Crane, Mendy didn't convince early on but went on to play well, Miller was solid enough, and Anderson did a decent job up front. Victoria was pretty hopeless barring a couple of fancy flicks and tricks. Let's hope he's eased out of the side early on.
The two trialists were also disappointing and I wouldn't be unhappy to see them shown the door. No 9 in particular looked slow and unfit.
Of the youngsters Bowie showed more potential but just needs to keep a cooler head in the opposition box while Watson unfortunately is looking unlikely to ever be good enough for us.
I thought Watson played well today. Like everyone else he wasn't sharp, but didn't look out of place. Granted it was league 2 opposition. Bowie just looked desperate to get a goal having missed a couple of chances in the first half, there's definitely a player there, hopefully mcglynn and smudger can help him realise his potential.