The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

In all seriousness why cant we opt out of this tin pot cup? Not on the basis of being Billy big bollocks and thinking that we're too good because clearly that's not the case but because it's a financial drain just to compete in the fixtures for f**k all return. 

It's daft we're forced into that position but it's very much the case. Since it's been melded into an attempt to try to normalise colt teams, we seem to have lost money every single season. In our first season, we lost our keeper to a serious injury resulting in a further financial cost.  Last season, we got a colt team at home then away to Ross County who spanked us 5-0. In fairness, that did help us avoid Cuthbert as a manager when he seemingly struggled with that side. 

2 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Thanks so much for your thoughts. The fact remains that he said that he would relocate his company to England in the event of Scottish independence. That threat presumably still stands. Some things are more important than the support of a football team. Cheers.

I agree.Some things are more important even than your team.

I've not the slightest doubt but any man who threatens 500+ employees with redundancy if the vote goes a certain way is not a fit and proper sponsor for the competition.  

Then don’t buy their products. Tunnocks doesn’t care or notice if you don’t go to a game, the only thing your impacting is the club you ‘support’.

Think I’m right in saying that Ross Munro could, in theory at least, play for us against Clyde on August 10th, play against us for Ross County Colts on August 13th, and be back with us for the trip to Stranraer on the 17th.

Some tournament.

Think I’m right in saying that Ross Munro could, in theory at least, play for us against Clyde on August 10th, play against us for Ross County Colts on August 13th, and be back with us for the trip to Stranraer on the 17th.

Some tournament.

It depends on whether it’s a development loan or not I’m sure.

One more striker expected in early next week then that’s it for now. Options of loans but not needed just now  and that will be us with 21 players which McGlynn is happy with! 

Is that the Belgian lad that’s been on trial with us (the striker). Could he feature on Saturday a A. Trialist? Or is this somebody else, somebody perhaps not on trial?

One more permanent striker signing, then hopefully loan in another one - if we could stretch to two loans another winger might be nice.

Signing strategy does seem a lot more coherent this summer than last. Centre of the park looks stronger, we aren't entirely relying on Davidson at centre back either. Middle to back we look like having more pace, more mobility and generally a bit of extra height and strength but outside of Vaughan and to a lesser extent Dingwall I'm still not entirely convinced about our forward options. As nice to think as it would be, I'm not sure we can rely on Smith or Bowie carrying that can themselves, and while I'm hopeful that Victoria will, with appropriate coaching, give us something a bit disruptive up top it still feels like a risk if he gets figured out by defenders as apparently happened last year....

I do worry slightly that McGlynn is going to put a bit too much faith in the impact Grant Anderson makes up front. 

The FFP is saying Vaughan may not be back until October so the thought of navigating the first 10 weeks of the season with an unnamed new signing, Bowie, Smith, Anderson & Victoria as our forward options isn't great. Especially if the signing ends up being the likes of Lewis Allan or the guy from Brechin we were supposedly trialling.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I do worry slightly that McGlynn is going to put a bit too much faith in the impact Grant Anderson makes up front. 

The FFP is saying Vaughan may not be back until October so the thought of navigating the first 10 weeks of the season with an unnamed new signing, Bowie, Smith, Anderson & Victoria as our forward options isn't great. Especially if the signing ends up being the likes of Lewis Allan or the guy from Brechin we were supposedly trialling.

I'd forgotten about him....

In fairness, when it comes to strikers it seems a hard one to get right. Two years ago we signed two guys who had 50 goals between them in this league and managed something like 18 combined for us in that year. Next year we go into the season with Nisbet who had 8 career goals to date and he banged in 30+ in the league. Presumably we'll still be in for that 'jackpot' loan signing as well though.