The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, Michael W said:

Didn't he bring us a few players during the very late 90s/very early 00s? 

Think we got the square root of f**k all for Nacho Novo, as it was alleged that his agent subsidised his wages at Raith and was reimbursed with the subsequent transfer fee from Dundee.

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Totally agree, it appears that certain fans will never be happy. It appears this season McGlynn is going with height and strength. Tippy tappy push hasn't worked so I've no issues with us bullying teams. Reserve judgement on players until the season is underway and we have Vaughan and Dingwall fit along with a loan player or two plus, Hendry, Spencer and Bene. Plus I believe we are very close to signing a striker. 

This is mostly what I’ve been saying for the last 2 seasons.

3rd tier football in this country no team will ever cut it with a team full of Vaughan’s, Buchanan’s, Hendries or Even Armstrong’s and definitely not with guys like Flanagan. What you need is big guys who have enough technical ability to get by and plenty of guts and brute strength.

Releasing Flanagan and even losing Murray to replace them with taller and (hopefully) more robust alternatives is imo exactly what is needed to get us out of this league.

Nandos showreel undoubtably shows his best bits and any howlers have been edited out but what player at 1st or Championship couldn’t have much similar video evidence ?  From what’s been said and seen he wins everything in the air and likes a tackle which will be an upgrade on Murray who backed off attackers far too often for my liking.

Now John, please just sign a monster of a centre forward of similar stature and we’ re sorted.

16 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

This is mostly what I’ve been saying for the last 2 seasons.

3rd tier football in this country no team will ever cut it with a team full of Vaughan’s, Buchanan’s, Hendries or Even Armstrong’s and definitely not with guys like Flanagan. What you need is big guys who have enough technical ability to get by and plenty of guts and brute strength.

Releasing Flanagan and even losing Murray to replace them with taller and (hopefully) more robust alternatives is imo exactly what is needed to get us out of this league.

Nandos showreel undoubtably shows his best bits and any howlers have been edited out but what player at 1st or Championship couldn’t have much similar video evidence ?  From what’s been said and seen he wins everything in the air and likes a tackle which will be an upgrade on Murray who backed off attackers far too often for my liking.

Now John, please just sign a monster of a centre forward of similar stature and we’ re sorted.

I was a great fan of Murray's but aye, that infuriated the piss out of me.

Tunnocks cup?
Last season I'd doubt the club broke even from the games played. This season we start with a game where travelling costs will likely outstrip gate revenue. Fans aren't impressed and gates will show that so the trend is likely to continue. Add to this the chance of injury (remember that Aberdeen colts crocked 2 Raith men last season) to a reduced squad and I cannot think of any reason to want to progress in the comp.

How did Lyness perform last season for you guys? 

We've resigned him on a 2 year deal. He was really unlucky to be cut loose last season as we couldn't get rid of Danny Rodgers who then got injured. So by time we needed another goalie, he was already with you guys. 

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

Great attitude, pal! Do the club you support out of money by boycotting games because somebody who owns a company who sponsors a cup has a different political option to you. Numpty.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. The fact remains that he said that he would relocate his company to England in the event of Scottish independence. That threat presumably still stands. Some things are more important than the support of a football team. Cheers.

We've resigned him on a 2 year deal. He was really unlucky to be cut loose last season as we couldn't get rid of Danny Rodgers who then got injured. So by time we needed another goalie, he was already with you guys. 

He was pretty poor to be honest. An absolute coup for him to go to the Premiership based on the six months or so that we saw.

He was offered a contract with us, so clearly the manager liked him, but I doubt many if any supporters would’ve kept him. Very dodgy on crosses and corners, didn’t really seem to make many saves - he did play a blinder in our play off final second leg, which was about his only saving grace.

On the whole he was poor. Had a unbelievable game down at Palmerston in the play off but other than that he was below average. McGlynn was keen to keep him right enough, so presumably he had something. We didn’t see it, though.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. The fact remains that he said that he would relocate his company to England in the event of Scottish independence. That threat presumably still stands. Some things are more important than the support of a football team. Cheers.

Lots of things are more important than the support of a football team. The political views of the majority shareholder of the chocolate biscuit-making sponsor of the diddy cup most certainly is not one of them.

You lads really are desperate.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Lots of things are more important than the support of a football team. The political views of the majority shareholder of the chocolate biscuit-making sponsor of the diddy cup most certainly is not one of them.

I've not the slightest doubt but any man who threatens 500+ employees with redundancy if the vote goes a certain way is not a fit and proper sponsor for the competition.  

4 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

I've not the slightest doubt but any man who threatens 500+ employees with redundancy if the vote goes a certain way is not a fit and proper sponsor for the competition.  

Football and Politics should never been mixed (same with religion) imo. Does my head in folk get so wound up about these things. 

11 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Calm down man, imagine getting rattled by an 86 year old man.

Spoiler

See the source image

You’d go to the final if we made it though.

In all seriousness why cant we opt out of this tin pot cup? Not on the basis of being Billy big bollocks and thinking that we're too good because clearly that's not the case but because it's a financial drain just to compete in the fixtures for f**k all return.