The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Don't have a problem with the signing of Millar in principle, but there's only so much injury prone gamble signings we can make. 

You would think that given his past something will be written into his contract that he's agreed to. Also, he's going to be one of the part timers.

Lyness is officially away, does this just leave us with the witch and an injured Robbie Thomson? 

Yes. With Thomson out for much of the season, we’ll need another full-time goalie.

Pretty happy Lyness is gone to be brutally honest. He was poor for the most part.

Why worry about us ? Worry about yourself ! Do you think you will be as lucky with injuries this season no , have you strengthened an already ageing squad no . We just dandy thanks

Just seen this

I'm not worrying about anyone, it's an open forum, I like Raith. I look through and take an interest in all the lower league threads. I'm a Scottish football geek

And we had injuries last season, no long term ones because we don't have any players who have a history of being chocolate like you do

We don't have an ageing squad either, Gaston, Thomson, Swankie and Linn are the only players over 30 years old. Most of our squad are in their mid to late twenties which is pretty perfect and was the case last season too.

And we have only signed two players, a massive upgrade on one of our keepers and an improvement on Denholm. Still more to come

Hope you are dandy, Falkirk look like they're scooshing it though so maybe we will meet in the play offs again [emoji12]

Squad definitely taking shape now. If the french defender signs how many more signings do we think we need? As said, hopefully he can cover left back, in which case I think ideally I’d still want at least another 4 including loans. 

Miller and the Frenchman give us 7 defenders so can’t see anymore additions there. It’s safe to assume Miller will be our right back.

We need another keeper with Thomson out. Pretty glad it won’t by Lyness, he wasn’t the liability I thought he’d be in the play offs and his best game was his last down at Queens but he was very poor previously.

Obviously the players needed will be dependant on the formation we are planning to use but I am guessing a 4-2-3-1 will be McGlynn’s preference. I think as a minimum we need a ‘keeper, another wide player and 2 strikers. That’s taking the view that Vaughan when fit will be the 10 and Hendry will be part of the midfield 2. If McGlynn sees Hendry further forward and wants to play Vaughan wide left then the required signing moves from a wide player to another midfielder IMO.

All in all, happy with how quickly we have done our business this year. Nice contrast from last year when we started the league cup campaign with 4 subs and 2 teenage full backs playing wide midfield. Also noticeable the improved versatility of the squad. Of the outfield signings so far nearly all of them are capable of playing in a couple of positions.

From what I've heard the French defender is huge, an out and out centre half, not a left back.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Michael Miller confirmed, squad number 2. He’ll be our right back I think...

Hoping the French guy is capable of covering LB, otherwise we’ll have nobody to cover there aside from a very out of position McKay/Watson.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Surely a loan keeper is the obvious way to go here? Sign someone until the January window and then reassess at that stage depending upon where Thomson is with his rehab.

You would think so. I didn’t rate him quite as highly as some others but Kieran Wright was a decent ‘keeper. Bringing him on loan till January would seem a safe and sensible option.

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

From what I've heard the French defender is huge, an out and out centre half, not a left back.

He’s huge, he’s French and McGlynn has seen enough to sign him after only a few days pre season rather than wait till the friendlies? I’m not one to get carried away but I don’t see how this doesn’t turn out to be our best signing ever...

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

He’s huge, he’s French and McGlynn has seen enough to sign him after only a few days pre season rather than wait till the friendlies? I’m not one to get carried away but I don’t see how this doesn’t turn out to be our best signing ever...

Wasn't M'voto huge and French though. We seen how that worked out... 

17 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

You would think so. I didn’t rate him quite as highly as some others but Kieran Wright was a decent ‘keeper. Bringing him on loan till January would seem a safe and sensible option.

Agreed. I didn't think there was much between him and Thomson but it's unlikely we would be able to get a much better option really.

10 minutes ago, Sheevedaw said:

Wasn't M'voto huge and French though. We seen how that worked out... 

Reading the article he's apparently fast as well, so a big difference from M'Voto there if true. Imagine if he can pass a ball as well...