The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, stevoraith said:

That would be better than the status quo, but imagine how good it would be going back to the old division one we had for so many years in the 90's when it was us, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Dundee.

Four really good, well supported sides within a few miles of each other battling it out for the league.  Those were the days....

In those days any crowd of 3000 was considered a poor for one of those fixtures. Between 5 &7k was the norm for Pars games and you could rely on Falkirk and Dundee for 1.5 - 2.5k of an away support.

This

Expecting Victoria and Spencer to chip in with 10 goals each this season as well, there definitely will be at least 1 striker in imo

Wouldnt pin my hopes on victoria scoring ten goals. He is a decent player on his day but can fade out a game very easily. Teams worked him out pretty quickly.

18 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’d say the most compelling evidence of whether or not Victoria is capable of scoring more than 10 goals in a season, is the fact he managed 12 last season.

Aye, but was that because we didn't work him out? 

Reading some of the reactions on Fan talk. Say what you will about it. I find it quite compelling reading at times. But lately it’s all doom and gloom. Yes I know I’m not the most upbeat poster either. But Fan Talk is considerably worse

Apparently Lewis Allan is training with us. Don’t know much about him but looking at his goals to games ratio can’t say I’m too excited.
Pretty sure he appeared for us during Potter's trip down to 7th place and barely got a sniff at goal.

Too many folk just want to be doom and gloom merchants, and will never see positive in anything. Others with totally unrealistic expectations as to who we can and should sign.

We're a L1 club, heading into our 3rd season after being relegated. Players like Murray and Nisbet are entitled to want to challenge themselves in a higher division.

As for the players we've brought in, McGlynn has went around picking some good talent from L1 level. Look at last season - Barry Smith was being slagged rotten on here for chucking decent wages at bottom of the barrel championship players - guys who never particularly did much at all last season. Wedderburn was average at best, Flanagan was murder after the first 2 months of the season, and whilst Gillespie had a few decent games, he never really kicked on and offered as much as he should have. Hendry has the potential to be a class act, and the others so far are good players for this division. Anderson, Victoria and McGurn in particular all good quality at this level, and have plenty experience. Spencer and MacDonald both young enough to kick on and impress.

I imagine a defensive replacement for Murray will already have been lined up. That just leaves us a replacement for Nisbet, but remember we've got Vaughan and Dingwall both to come back, so its not as if we've nobody at all. Lets see who else is brought in over the next month or so. Plenty time before the league kicks off.

Edited by GhostZapper

Personally, my expectation has shifted a bit from last season. Last season we were the biggest club in the league, and the only one operating on a full time basis - that should have been enough to at the absolute least mount a significant title challenge.

The goalposts have changed this season, and we've had to adjust accordingly. We are behind all Championship clubs in the pecking order, and behind Falkirk in this league also. Add to that the fact we are spending a 3rd consecutive season in this league, with the lower income that brings, and it's only fair that we will be looking at different type of player. Cant say I'm overly concerned though, when you look at the previous seasons we have brought in players who should have been standouts at this level, and weren't good enough. Wedderburn, Gillespie, Buchanan, Spence are 4 players I was delighted we signed in the past 2 seasons, and just didn't do it or certainly not enough. Add to that the standard shithawk wingers in Barr and Flanagan, Benedictus not recapturing any of his previous form, Crane looking nowhere like the previous seasons player and various meh loans... There really isn't a hard act for our new signings to follow.

I personally read Mcglynn's interview as him saying that he has a solid foundation already here, and that if he absolutely had to play a game today he could, and that its now a case of bringing in the right players rather than panicking and bringing numbers for the sake of numbers in. There's only so much transparency a manager can give right now in this stage, and I would like to think the wheels are turning to bring bodies in. There are obvious positions that need addressed, and failure to do so in the next month or 2 is a different story, but right now for being mid June we aren't in a bad place. There's a decent mix of quality, experience and just decent enough guys at this level. Happy with that, and I certainly think we will see a different attitude around the squad from here on in. For example, I cant see Davidson and Bene talking back to Mcgurn as they did to Thomson at times last season. 

My expectation is that we build a squad capable of finishing a solid 2nd and going into the playoffs with a real chance. A few additions in the right places wont see us a million miles away from that. Falkirk will win the league, but other than them I cant say I'm particularly worried about any of the other squads right now - and they will likely say that about us, but I've seen us in a far worse place at this stage in the pre-season before.

37 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Personally, my expectation has shifted a bit from last season. Last season we were the biggest club in the league, and the only one operating on a full time basis - that should have been enough to at the absolute least mount a significant title challenge.

The goalposts have changed this season, and we've had to adjust accordingly. We are behind all Championship clubs in the pecking order, and behind Falkirk in this league also. Add to that the fact we are spending a 3rd consecutive season in this league, with the lower income that brings, and it's only fair that we will be looking at different type of player. Cant say I'm overly concerned though, when you look at the previous seasons we have brought in players who should have been standouts at this level, and weren't good enough. Wedderburn, Gillespie, Buchanan, Spence are 4 players I was delighted we signed in the past 2 seasons, and just didn't do it or certainly not enough. Add to that the standard shithawk wingers in Barr and Flanagan, Benedictus not recapturing any of his previous form, Crane looking nowhere like the previous seasons player and various meh loans... There really isn't a hard act for our new signings to follow.

I personally read Mcglynn's interview as him saying that he has a solid foundation already here, and that if he absolutely had to play a game today he could, and that its now a case of bringing in the right players rather than panicking and bringing numbers for the sake of numbers in. There's only so much transparency a manager can give right now in this stage, and I would like to think the wheels are turning to bring bodies in. There are obvious positions that need addressed, and failure to do so in the next month or 2 is a different story, but right now for being mid June we aren't in a bad place. There's a decent mix of quality, experience and just decent enough guys at this level. Happy with that, and I certainly think we will see a different attitude around the squad from here on in. For example, I cant see Davidson and Bene talking back to Mcgurn as they did to Thomson at times last season. 

My expectation is that we build a squad capable of finishing a solid 2nd and going into the playoffs with a real chance. A few additions in the right places wont see us a million miles away from that. Falkirk will win the league, but other than them I cant say I'm particularly worried about any of the other squads right now - and they will likely say that about us, but I've seen us in a far worse place at this stage in the pre-season before.

Agree with 99% of this but not that Falkirk will win the league. I never write off my team before a ball is kicked. It's still 11 players vs on the park and although having quality in paper is great the most important this is teamwork and the never say die attitude. We have to keep believing in our club. It's what we have to be.... 

33 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

......Falkirk will win the league, but other than them I cant say I'm particularly worried about any of the other squads right now - and they will likely say that about us, but I've seen us in a far worse place at this stage in the pre-season before.

I'm probably in the minority that thinks this, but right now i look at Falkirk in terms of their organisation and structure as a club, and i see a shambles. More often than not that translates onto the pitch. In Mckinnon (similar to Smith for you guys last year) they have a manager that must come flying out of the traps, and an unkind fixture list could have him in all kinds of trouble come christmas.  I wouldnt be surprised if Falkirk, and their big crowds are in for a much tougher season than they anticipate, and are certainly not my favourites for the league.

Airdrie and yourselves i think will be up there, and i wouldn't bet against Montrose continuing to be a strong team in the league. 

McGlynn is doing what probably should have been done last year, a sqaud with a few bigger names as part of an overall well organised team, as opposed to a team of championship journeymen.