The New Raith Rovers Thread

So according to McGlynns interview we’re going in a new direction. No right back again and no strikers.cant wait to see our goal tally drop big style.

So we’re putting our hopes on Smith and Bowie to get the goals. We don’t know what Vaughan we’ll get back after 2 acl’s. McGlynn says he’s happy with the squad as is. Hmm, me personally I think he’s lost his mind. We scored a shit ton of goals last season with established strikers, to a shit ton of zero.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

So according to McGlynns interview we’re going in a new direction. No right back again and no strikers.cant wait to see our goal tally drop big style.

So we’re putting our hopes on Smith and Bowie to get the goals. We don’t know what Vaughan we’ll get back after 2 acl’s. McGlynn says he’s happy with the squad as is. Hmm, me personally I think he’s lost his mind. We scored a shit ton of goals last season with established strikers, to a shit ton of zero.

Thats not what he said. At all.

Last summer, at this point we only had Buchanan and Duggan as 'established' strikers with Vaughan struggling for fitness. Buchanan, lets not forget, didnt get double figures the previous year. Duggan had 15 from his season with EF.

We signed Nisbet and the fans had zero confidence he'd amount to anything.

Every year is the same, worrying about where the goals are coming from. Anderson isn't intended as a permanent solution,  but McG is curious to see if he can be disruptive up top and the squad is demonstratably too small for a league campaign. McGlynn knows that.

Like last Summer there isn't exactly a slew of 'name' strikers floating about without clubs. League 1 wasn't exactly full of guys who'd you think would be making us a better team either. Its the middle of June and we'll need to see who else comes in, or a definitive statement saying we're done, before panicking. As soemone else wrote, McGlynn can't exactly say on camera that he's desperate for strikers, for one his faith in the young guys might be real enough, for another any agent watching a video of McGlynn putting put an sos for strikers will be shoving 20% on their clients demands.

Panic merchants back out in force again I see. We are 4 weeks from the season starting, McGlynn will bring a loan striker in and he has others coming in on trial, nowhere has he said our striking options for the full season will be Anderson, Smith and Bowie only.

We always assume the strikers coming in on trial won’t be much use but you just never know. Let’s not forget Nisbet arrived on trial last year and was signed after impressing. Whilst the likelihood of that repeating itself is slim it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that someone on trial might impress enough for a contract and do a job. We also don’t know if he’s put offers out to other strikers (Henderson) who will be weighing up offers from several other teams and as such he is unlikely to comment on it at this stage.

As said before, the last time we won this league it was a loan striker who did the business and given McGlynn’s record in that market I’m pretty confident we’ll bring in a decent player through this avenue once again. 

Finally, how many times do we see people complaining about us not developing our own young players or them not getting enough chances? Yet when the managers speaks highly of two promising young strikers and indicates he’ll give them a chance to impress in  preseason, these same people start to panic. Bowie in particular looks a very good prospect at 17. Whilst he shouldn’t be relied on as first choice, I’d hate to see 4 strikers come in and block his pathway to the first team.

Even the season before, when we signed Spence and Buchanan to much acclaim. It turned into a disaster. Neither managed double figures and we were comprehensively outscored by Ayr. Only Vaughan made the whole thing look even.

16 minutes ago, renton said:

Last summer, at this point we only had Buchanan and Duggan as 'established' strikers with Vaughan struggling for fitness. Buchanan, lets not forget, didnt get double figures the previous year. Duggan had 15 from his season with EF.

Every year is the same, worrying about where the goals are coming from. Anderson isn't intended as a permanent solution,  but McG is curious to see if he can be disruptive up top and the squad is demonstratably too small for a league campaign. McGlynn knows that.

Like last Summer there isn't exactly a slew of 'name' strikers floating about without clubs. League 1 wasn't exactly full of guys who'd you think would be making us a better team either. Its the middle of June and we'll need to see who else comes in, or a definitive statement saying we're done, before panicking. As soemone else wrote, McGlynn can't exactly say on camera that he's desperate for strikers, for one his faith in the young guys might be real enough, for another any agent watching a video of McGlynn putting put an sos for strikers will be shoving 20% on their clients demands.

This

Expecting Victoria and Spencer to chip in with 10 goals each this season as well, there definitely will be at least 1 striker in imo

In all honesty I was still waking up from a long haul flight home. I’m glad you filtered your thoughts in the interview more clearly. I just felt a wee bit underwhelmed. I do understand we have constraints via budget. But we MUST reach out to potential investors. We know they’re out there. It’s just giving them a wee push. I’d be happy to donate in a player fund as was talked about a while back.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Even the season before, when we signed Spence and Buchanan to much acclaim. It turned into a disaster. Neither managed double figures and we were comprehensively outscored by Ayr. Only Vaughan made the whole thing look even.

Out scored by Ayr, who’s main scorer was signed after the season started.

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything

Raith seem to have got a fair bit weaker, after finishing third, in a league that is now stronger

And calmly pointing out areas of concern has people reaching for the "Ach, you're just panicking" statement 

No panic here. I'll refrain from moaning about our squad imbalance until a set time into the season but I'll only get the "what do you expect for buttons" response

1 hour ago, renton said:

That's not what he said.    At all.

You are absolutely correct, he did not say that!

Clearly McGlynn has more negotiations going on but, for some, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Cannot win  :unsure:

However, let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a panic attack.....:shutup.......just surprised there has been no mention of relegation.........yet.:whistle

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Raith seem to have got a fair bit weaker, after finishing third, in a league that is now stronger

Nah, midfield us on paper at least far stronger than it wad last season. Defence is probably about the same, albeit having McKay start even if its at right back would be an improvement.

Up top is obviously where we've suffered the biggest loss, but we've got time to rectify that. We won't replace Nisbet pound for pound, but not panicking yet about finding a forward line that can do a job. 

Big if, but getting and keeping Vuaghan, Dingwall and Hendry fit over the season and we'd be stronger through the team than we were last season, where our very ordinary team was kept going by Nisbet.

33 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It is SEVEN weeks until the league season starts. Our squad is already stronger than the one which started the league last season. We have no idea who else will be added to the squad so judge it now, so far out from the start of the season is ridiculous.

We won’t lose any sleep over the loan signings who left or players that were released. Murray, Nisbet and Gillespie are losses. However, I believe we are actually stronger in midfield now with Hendry and Spencer.

Nisbet is a loss and probably irreplaceable but if (and it’s a big if) Vaughan can stay fit that is like a new signing and he has the potential to be the best player in the league. Murray again is a loss but we have 7 weeks to replace him. And young McKay was looking better every week at the end of last season, hopefully he can continue that improvement.

Theres every chance our squad on paper will be weaker than the one which ended the season, that’s to be expected considering we are cutting our budget. However, we were a team of individuals last season. I’d expect to see a more organised hard working team next year. McGlynn teams of the past were always greater than the sum of its parts.

I don’t think anyone expects us to beat Falkirk to the title but I expect we’ll compete with Airdrie for 2nd/3rd. Our season will depend on McGlynn still having the same ability to develop players and organise a team in his own image as he showed last time. It will also depend on having more luck with injuries to key players. If we can get a full season out of the likes of Vaughan, Dingwall and Hendry we’ll be fine. If we don’t we might struggle. 

Edited by R.R.FC

7 hours ago, expatowner said:

The playing budget we have for this year is less than last year. We are going to have less players and cheaper players so thinking that 2 out equals 2 to come in might not be the case.

True, but they weren't 2 that they were planning to be released/lost. Therefore I'd wager those guys will be replaced perhaps not directly but in some measure (eg a loanee or/and maybe a fullback)

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Nah, midfield us on paper at least far stronger than it wad last season. Defence is probably about the same, albeit having McKay start even if its at right back would be an improvement.

Up top is obviously where we've suffered the biggest loss, but we've got time to rectify that. We won't replace Nisbet pound for pound, but not panicking yet about finding a forward line that can do a job. 

Big if, but getting and keeping Vuaghan, Dingwall and Hendry fit over the season and we'd be stronger through the team than we were last season, where our very ordinary team was kept going by Nisbet.

This. Wish I’d saw your post before I wrote mine, would have saved me some time, this is basically a more concise version of what I was trying to say. 

Grant Anderson hasn't scored more than 8 goals in one season in his career. He's not going to start now. Agreed he's not a permanent striker but we've discarded Buchanan who pretty much guarantees double figures each season. That's madness considering we were likely to lose Nisbet anyway

I think there are plenty worries right now, but letting go of a striker who got 20 goals from 70 league appearances for a side that was expected to win the league both seasons isn’t really one of them.

When you add in his reputed wage, we’ll have Anderson, Victoria and McGurn for about the same amount.

I didn’t mind Buchanan and he tried his best, but he wouldn’t have been kept on last season if he didn’t have a contract and he certainly didn’t deserve to be kept on this season.

If it means another season of Bene/Davo partnership then I'm NOT happy with mckay out on the right
Grant Anderson hasn't scored more than 8 goals in one season in his career. He's not going to start now. Agreed he's not a permanent striker but we've discarded Buchanan who pretty much guarantees double figures each season. That's madness considering we were likely to lose Nisbet anyway
Your comments on Bowie & Smith, well intentioned as they are, are nothing more than wishful thinking. We need goalscorers and can't team up 2 teenagers expecting them to win matches 
He has to have a blinding loan market performance imo. Maybe Dom Thomas? 

Yeah I too hope it isn’t Bene/Davo. I’m hopeful it will be Bene/McGeever or Bene/Miller, Davo as cover (and he’s not bad cover really).

Grant Anderson is very much a ‘get to the byline’ winger so not surprising he doesn’t bag 20 goals a season. He’s fit, strong, he’s a good dribbler and he’s good in the air so it’s not a crazy idea to try him in the middle and hope he might be a success, even on a temporary basis.

Positivity about Bowie and Smith is based on what I’ve seen and on wishful thinking, but if we took your attitude on every youth player at the club: Vaughan, Bates, Matthews, Callahan, McKay... none of these guys would have played. Yeah they might be the next Tam Graham and Lee Bryce, but let’s see, you don’t really have to be an extraordinary talent to be up to scratch in this league. Fans moan when you don’t play youth players but shut their pants when you initially do them completely cream them when they look even half decent. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

He’s got his eye on a player that would be like “winning the jackpot” let’s wait and see eh?

The comment about McGlynn being “happy” with the squad is very much a “I could put out a very reasonable team in a game tomorrow (and the up and coming friendlies) should I have to”. He does reiterate there are teams who could in now way do that and in the past wouldn’t have been able to at this stage. He’s good a good base to strengthen and I’ve no doubt he will.

Must be some pretty damp bed sheets in Kirkcaldy this morning going by the amount of absolute bed-wetters posting on here this morning...

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We have almost two months to go before the league starts, and already we have a better squad than the one that started last season. 

Find any kind of decent forward at this level and keep Vaughan, Hendry and Dingwall fit and we will be better off for sure vs any point last season. That's before we look at bringing in an actual right back, as well as any loans that may be out there. 

The only huge miss so far is Nisbet, and we've had far, far better seasons without a marquee striker in recent memory. 

Edited by CALDERON

f**k off you smokie c**t.

And calmly pointing out areas of concern has people reaching for the "Ach, you're just panicking" statement 
No panic here. I'll refrain from moaning about our squad imbalance until a set time into the season but I'll only get the "what do you expect for buttons" response

You might be better off supporting somebody like Manchester City if that’s your attitude tbh