The New Raith Rovers Thread

Didn’t get the impression McGlynn planned on using Matthews wide at all to be honest, although of course it doesn’t meant it won’t happen. He was raving about his energy and tackling, which isn’t as useful when you’re on the wing.

Striker situation isn’t quite as grim as made out either, I didn’t get the impression Anderson was the long-term solution up front but more a little bit of a stop gap alongside Smith and Bowie until the loan market opens and Vaughan returns. He was very positive about Smith/Bowie so I suspect they’ll be given a fair shot in the Betfred Cup.

He didn’t explicitly say McKay will be playing right back but I got the impression he just wants to see a bit more from him. Certainly suggested he could play there.

And it definitely sounds like Lyness will return, which I’m not particularly pleased about.

Slightly more worried than before, but we know there’s space for more in the squad... no point signing people for the sake of it. Right?

Someone tell me I’m right.

Seemed to me, mcglynn actually has a lot of faith in Bowie and Smith. Both have shown their potential in the time they had last season. He clearly has a loan player he really wants for up front though so hopefully we get him. If we don't though, imagine if Bowie, with all his physical attributes next to Smith with his pace etc turned into a great partnership.

Matthews is going to be the lower league brown now without a doubt. Hard worker who loves a tackle and sends the opposition to the other side of the world. Iv berated davo, more than most probably but I'll give him a clean slate for next season. I don't want him starting every week and would rather mckay was in there but it's a new season and considering he was poty the previous, he can hopefully step it up again.

He got every target he had attempted to get in the first week. He will have had other targets he couldn't approach etc at that stage.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

Didn’t get the impression McGlynn planned on using Matthews wide at all to be honest, although of course it doesn’t meant it won’t happen. He was raving about his energy and tackling, which isn’t as useful when you’re on the wing.

Striker situation isn’t quite as grim as made out either, I didn’t get the impression Anderson was the long-term solution up front but more a little bit of a stop gap alongside Smith and Bowie until the loan market opens and Vaughan returns. He was very positive about Smith/Bowie so I suspect they’ll be given a fair shot in the Betfred Cup.

He didn’t explicitly say McKay will be playing right back but I got the impression he just wants to see a bit more from him. Certainly suggested he could play there.

And it definitely sounds like Lyness will return, which I’m not particularly pleased about.

Slightly more worried than before, but we know there’s space for more in the squad... no point signing people for the sake of it. Right?

Someone tell me I’m right.

Your right.

Close season is ridiculously short these days thanks to the league cup. A couple of years back people would be supremely relaxed about not having the team down in the middle of June.

... and yeah, no point signing warm bodies for the sake of it. Down that path lies Lewis Milne.

Cant defo see that McGlynn has faith in Bowie and Smith which you could sort of tell from Clarks interview. I do think he’s slightly overplaying the situation though as he may be negotiating with players who think they can ask for more as we as desperate for a forward. Would be keen to know who this forward is that he is very keen to get on loan.

30 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Cant defo see that McGlynn has faith in Bowie and Smith which you could sort of tell from Clarks interview. I do think he’s slightly overplaying the situation though as he may be negotiating with players who think they can ask for more as we as desperate for a forward. Would be keen to know who this forward is that he is very keen to get on loan.

I’ll take a stab in the dark and say Harry Paton.

Paton's a midfielder from what I can see, so I hope not. Whoever it is, we need him to be more Kevin Smith than Craig Wighton, that's for sure.
Ones managed to remain in the premiership, the other is Kevin Smith and yet I agree with you 100%

Last week we lost Murray and Nisbet, that's two starting slots to fill and 2 wages freed up to do so.

More sorry to have lost Nizzy but unless McGlynn can find a ready made replacement within budget then a loan man it'll have to be.

I'd rather Murray's wage was used to bring in a RB and Bene, McKay and Davo were used as centre backs.

Wee bit disappointed to lose good players in nisbet, gillespie and murray. Will reserve judgement on the new players coming in but hopefully we hit the ground running. Progression out of our cup group would be a bonus, but i can’t see it. An experienced or quality striker coming in would be good and as everyone says a definite right back is something we still require.

Just listened to McGlynns interview and now slightly worried. Thinks that Bowie and Smith will score us the goals which has to win us promotion. Sorry but I don't think they will. Appears McKay will be our right back shoehorned in there to allow Davo and Bene to play centre half, two players that contributed to virtually no clean sheets last season. Not much business to do, again we were told a squad of 21/22, Bowie and Tait may be signed but modern apprentices so really shouldn't be part of the 21/22 so I would have thought 6 players to come in, sounds like maybe 3 or 4 max.  

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

He’s cool, he’s happy, he’s John McGlynn.

7 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Having read the comments and then watched the interview I am a lot more confident than some on here. A few points:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. For a “shoehorned” centre back he’s actually pretty decent going forward, maybe lacking just a bit of confidence getting a ball into the box but he’s capable. We obviously know he can defend, unlike some natural full backs we saw last season. Watson will be cover, didn’t impress me last season but a year older, a year wiser, so who knows.

- Miller? McGeever? Where is the mystical fourth signing? We’ll need somebody in as defensive cover.

- The Witch. I have a feeling he’ll be our number one. He’ll inspire a bit more confidence in our defence with any luck.

- Grant Anderson, in theory has the attributes to be relatively successful up front, McGlynn mentioning he’s still very fit and still a good runner has given me some confidence. It’s probably not a permanent solution...

- Jack Smith and Kieron Bowie. Both have impressed me when they’ve come on. McGlynn has been around many many young player, if he rates these players as much as he says he does in the interview then I’m excited. Don’t be scared about these guys playing, they could be the next Vaughan or the next Nisbet. We’ve produced some very decent players in the past few years from Callahan to Vaughan to Bates. We can no longer say a young guy coming through at Raith can’t be pulling on a Scotland top within a few seasons. I’ll tell you what, I can clearly remember some fans having trepidations about Bates starting for us when he was teenager. Let’s have more than just a bit faith in these lads!

- The preceding two points back up the most telling comment about why we haven’t signed a centre forward. The ones McGlynn has seen about League One have not impressed him, they’re a bit meh, a few of them may be available but there’s clearly no need to panic buy because of...

- The loan market. What was John McGlynn’s biggest strength first time around? Loan signings! There’s no way I can’t see us reaching September and not having 2-3 loan players in the squad. McGlynn has close connections at many clubs and a good reputation for developing players. I’m exited to see who might bring in, particularly the individual that if we did sign would be like “hitting the jackpot”.

When John departed from his first stint in the job he came back for a Q&A with Grant Murray and revealed that he was delighted that Hearts had loaned the players we had for about five bob a month, never mind the return of the Witch, this is the sort of magic we need back at Starks Park.

Last week we lost Murray and Nisbet, that's two starting slots to fill and 2 wages freed up to do so.

The playing budget we have for this year is less than last year. We are going to have less players and cheaper players so thinking that 2 out equals 2 to come in might not be the case.

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

- I am quite happy with Dave McKay as right back. He performed well there before and can perform well there again I’m sure. 

If it means another season of Bene/Davo partnership then I'm NOT happy with mckay out on the right

Grant Anderson hasn't scored more than 8 goals in one season in his career. He's not going to start now. Agreed he's not a permanent striker but we've discarded Buchanan who pretty much guarantees double figures each season. That's madness considering we were likely to lose Nisbet anyway

Your comments on Bowie & Smith, well intentioned as they are, are nothing more than wishful thinking. We need goalscorers and can't team up 2 teenagers expecting them to win matches 

He has to have a blinding loan market performance imo. Maybe Dom Thomas? 

I'm delighted with the £40k for Muza, he'll soon have the barcodes screaming abuse at him as he backpeddles off attackers allowing them time to set their sights (easily his biggest fault). Yes I'd have been ok with him staying but I'd far rather have McKay and that £40k.

The likelihood is that any transfer money received will go to reducing our new pitch debts and won’t be funneled into the playing budget.