The New Raith Rovers Thread

“Let’s get right behind the Rovers” will become
“Letsh get right intae these minky b*****d Methil c***s Rovers......ahhhhh!”

Lol. Poor Bodge. He does love a peeve before, during and after a game eh!!

I think I'll have a meltdown if we continue to do anything other than sign a proper right back. I genuinely think we'll start the season with McKay there in all honesty. And it will continue to be rotten.  That isn't Dave's fault (much in like how we had no width when Matthews kept getting shoehorned in as a winger). It's just down to the system. 

I'm already resigned to this and I'm trying to not think about it. It'll be McKay with Miller, assuming he signs up, as back up and Watson as the nuclear option. I've still got a reasonable level of confidence in McGlynn but the right back issue is the biggest black mark against his performance since he came back.

Iv defended mcglynn not getting a rb in last season but if he doesn't sign one this summer it's indefendable. A clear problem area for us last season. If he doesn't I can only imagine he sees mckay as a rb but he's a far better cb who could play at rb if needed. Watson showed enough last season to be a capable backup but not any more than that.

Our problems lay last season because we played players out of position at full back.

You’re suggesting the solution may be... to play a player out of position, at full back, next season? [emoji848]

No absolutely agree, we 100% need a RB, however if Watson isn’t to get a game I wouldn’t be surprised if McKay or Anderson was to start there.
I’d play Bene & McKay as my Centre half pairing.
Would also love it it we could get Wright back from the rangers on loan, he looked an excellent young keeper

53 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

No absolutely agree, we 100% need a RB, however if Watson isn’t to get a game I wouldn’t be surprised if McKay or Anderson was to start there.
I’d play Bene & McKay as my Centre half pairing.
Would also love it it we could get Wright back from the rangers on loan, he looked an excellent young keeper

So just to be clear your preference is both for a right back and a Wright back too?^_^

I too am hoping that McGlynn brings in a genuine RB as my preferred central partnership would also be Dave and Bene.

Edited by Scottydog

Um, okay. So we're not getting many, if any, more new signings any time soon...

The plan is for Grant Anderson to be used as the main striker for now, and it sounds very much like right-back is Dave McKay's to lose.

Vaughan won't be back until September. Dingwall may be slightly later than that.

We've offered a contract to Dean Lyness, but he's still to make up his mind.

I trust John McGlynn entirely, but I didn't exactly love what I heard there. He's asking us to take a lot on faith.

The plan is for Grant Anderson to be used as the main striker for now, and it sounds very much like right-back is Dave McKay's to lose.

Vaughan won't be back until September. Dingwall may be slightly later than that.

I trust John McGlynn entirely, but I didn't exactly love what I heard there. He's asking us to take a lot on faith.
I really hope this is just us getting by until the loan market starts to move in August. We can't really be going to rely on Anderson, Vaughan, Bowie and Smith as our forward options, surely?

I liked the bit where he said he was cool.

I think lyness is a waste of a wage in that it would be better spent on a part time or a loan. Thomson is full time and the witch is the witch with added coaching skills.

Unless mcglynn has some drastic changes in terms of coaching or motivation they defence still gives me the fear, perhaps he's putting all his eggs in having a far better midfield to help out the defence?

13 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

So, horrifically our team probably looks like this:

McKay---Davo---Bene---Macdonald

Matthews---Spencer---Hendry---Victoria

----Anderson----?

On 14/06/2019 at 18:37, renton said:

Dunno what bringing in Anderson and Victoria has to do with Nisbet and Buchanan leaving. Clearly different roles being filled.

Need to see who we bring in up top. Traditionally a difficult berth to fill, and a lot of luck required to get it right

As I feared, we're going to rely on those 2 guys to give us 2 of the 4 players Bill Clark wanted to provide double figure goal hauls this season in respect of Nisbet leaving. 

The biggest crime, however, is completely no mention of looking for a right back. 

I've no issues with our midfield though,thats looking good. But I've still got the F.E.A.R.

So, horrifically our team probably looks like this:
McKay---Davo---Bene---Macdonald
Matthews---Spencer---Hendry---Victoria
----Anderson----?

"You were so preoccupied with playing centre halfs at right back, you didn't stop to think about Matthews playing right wing again" or something. f**k sake! I'm going to greet.

And judging by the interview, your question mark would be replaced by Bowie.

It's a God awful small affair.

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

"You were so preoccupied with playing centre halfs at right back, you didn't stop to think about Matthews playing right wing again" or something. f**k sake! I'm going to greet.

And judging by the interview, your question mark would be replaced by Bowie.

It's a God awful small affair.

Having watched it, he was leaning very much on Bowie and Smith which, given his previous reticence with playing young guys, speaks volumes. Also seems like he knows who he wants when the loan market opens up.

Assume we still get Miller and McGeever, then our principle weakness is right mid and up top. There will be some guys coming in next week to train with the team (going by previous posts). I don't think we are done with signings, and he didn't seem to say we wouldnt be signing anyone but it does seem like he's done with his list of targets and what happens next is going to be a question of scouring trialists, loans etc.

Having watched it, he was leaning very much on Bowie and Smith which, given his previous reticence with playing young guys, speaks volumes. Also seems like he knows who he wants when the loan market opens up.
Assume we still get Miller and McGeever, then our principle weakness is right mid and up top. There will be some guys coming in next week to train with the team (going by previous posts). I don't think we are done with signings, and he didn't seem to say we wouldnt be signing anyone but it does seem like he's done with his list of targets and what happens next is going to be a question of scouring trialists, loans etc.

That’s what I got from it, he knows exactly who he wants in the loan market.
I also suspect despite what he said, I reckon there’s offers been made to a few more players out there... Step up Blair Henderson 🤞🏻

I can't pretend to be over excited at who we've signed so far (Hendry aside), but it's far too early to press the panic button. 

On the eve of the 2008/09 season we seemed to be short up front then McGlynn managed to get Kevin Smith on loan from Dundee United. If my memory serves me correctly that didn't turn out too badly. Hopefully he has something similar up his sleeve this time.