The New Raith Rovers Thread

Personally wouldn't have brought Anderson back, but no doubting he's in the McGlynn mould of a player. 

Anyone know if Victoria and Anderson have signed on FT or PT terms? I assume the latter given where they've came from. 

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Raith fans absolutely seething on Twitter about a player I'd never heard of until yesterday is remarkable. One guy making Norrie "jokes" and hoping Murray and Nisbet get involved in a car crash.

One of those sad people that detests the Pars more than they like their own team.

Presumably you reported them for it, the last part at least seems pretty blatantly against Twitter community standards.

I would probably ask who people expect us to be signing? We have relative quality in Hendry, Vaughan and even Dingwall from what he shown so far. Add to that guys like Gillespie (maybe) and Matthews who have the ability but need to show it more.

The harsh reality is that we are in this league for another season, the 3rd in a row and will likely see another drop in income. That has to make a translation towards the playing side, so the balance will need to be made up of “unfancied” players. If the manager and club thinks that they can make use of the budget to bring a bit more depth, then I’m happy with that. I highly doubt Victoria will be any worse than Duggan, nor Anderson worse than Flanagan. Even this Brechin lad has very, very small shoes to fill.

If you consider that we’ve lost Nisbet and Murray and effectively gained Vaughan, Hendry and Dingwall from the side that ended last season then it doesn’t seem that bad.

And being honest, as decent as Murray was, he was a mainstay in a defence that leaked goals on a consistent basis – and nobody knows what his best position is. He isn’t a natural full back, and when played in central defence we didn’t look great there either. He’s a decent/good League 1 player, we should easily be able to reinvest a 5 figure sum to go someway to replacing him. I couldn’t put anyone that formed part of that horrific defence last season as a “must stay”.  

This will be a season where we will need a little to go a long way. The side needs to be a team more than a collection of relatively talented players, and like it or not, and 10 years ago or not, Mcglynn has done exactly that before. We are fishing in a very small pond for players, and are behind the likes of Arbroath and Alloa as well as any full time team in Scotland when it comes to desirability for players to join. We need to make the most of what little we can realistically bring in, and I trust Mcglynn to do that.

Theres pressure on, no doubt about that – we need promotion sooner rather than later. But when you look back to 2017/18, our approach was chuck some good signings on paper onto the pitch and hope that works. It didn’t, and whatever image the club saw last season materialising into didn’t happen at all. I don’t see keeping some quality players, some with a bit of a point to prove, and adding some “journeyman” guys at this level as necessarily a bad thing. Some players will move on, that’s just going to happen and good luck to them. Getting some decent cash and reinvesting it into the squad certainly wouldn’t leave us short changed. 

Raith fans absolutely seething on Twitter about a player I'd never heard of until yesterday is remarkable. One guy making Norrie "jokes" and hoping Murray and Nisbet get involved in a car crash.
One of those sad people that detests the Pars more than they like their own team.
The boy's clearly a trodden on grapefruit in a tracksuit. Best ignored.

The fact that you’ve mentioned us signing journeymen and then talking about Falkirk’s signings being decent, I’m guessing they have made a few more signings other than Micheal “7 clubs” Tidser and Gregor “ 9 clubs” Buchanan..?

This post is not saying Tidser and Buchanan aren’t decent players. They’re fantastic players for this level. But, they are also considered as journeymen.

So describing our transfers as journeymen and then going on to praise Falkirk’s signings is a bit contradicting..
Ok let me rephrase... we've signed a journeyman lower league player in Victoria and a player who our fans were all ok with leaving a few years ago, is now 33 and has spent the last 2 years mostly on the bench at Peterhead and Stranraer.

Falkirk are signing players who are proven at a higher level.

That sound better?
Sorry i don't agree with this.  A managers job is to get the best out of his squad. It isnt always down to the amount of individual gifted players you have but the structure of the squad, team work, bond and how they buy into the managers vision. Of course you can make a player better, why cant you? 
If Anderson, Victoria and the others rumoured were signing for anyone else in the league we wouldn't be worried in the slightest. Yes a man manager can make players better and the most talented players don't always make the best team but when was the last time in this league a team who was not deemed to be the best win it?
Murray was the best of a bad bunch, defence has looked awful last 2-3 seasons and needs new blood imo
I'm going to suggest given that Murray was being looked at by several higher league clubs in Scotland and a team in League 1 down south that he might be a bit better than our fans are giving him credit for.

15 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson used as a right wing-back, should the 3-5-2 make another appearance. He'd be much better suited to that role than the likes of Euan Murray or Dave McKay.

Good call he should still have a bit of mobility and will work his arse off for the team. I see him as a good character to have around.

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

It won’t matter who Falkirk sign, we’ll still have the 2 best players in the league.

:lol::lol:

we already have the best player in this league san x

21 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Ok let me rephrase... we've signed a journeyman lower league player in Victoria and a player who our fans were all ok with leaving a few years ago, is now 33 and has spent the last 2 years mostly on the bench at Peterhead and Stranraer.

Falkirk are signing players who are proven at a higher level.

That sound better?If Anderson, Victoria and the others rumoured were signing for anyone else in the league we wouldn't be worried in the slightest. Yes a man manager can make players better and the most talented players don't always make the best team but when was the last time in this league a team who was not deemed to be the best win it? I'm going to suggest given that Murray was being looked at by several higher league clubs in Scotland and a team in League 1 down south that he might be a bit better than our fans are giving him credit for.

I agree with you to an extent but we can only sign what we can afford. We can’t keep making losses like we did our first season down so we have had to cut our cloth accordingly.

There is no point comparing our signings with Falkirk. They are in their first season down, their average crowd was 3 times the size of ours last year and McKinnon has been making noises of a two year plan to take them to the Premiership. We are shopping in a completely different market to them.

Edited by R.R.FC

22 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

I'm going to suggest given that Murray was being looked at by several higher league clubs in Scotland and a team in League 1 down south that he might be a bit better than our fans are giving him credit for.

A fair point. Note also that the other culprits (Davidson, Bene and Crane) have not bettered themselves. 

25 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

when was the last time in this league a team who was not deemed to be the best win it? .

Last season! If you are talking on paper before the start of the season that is. Dumbarton had prob the best team on paper with some what we though were strong signings. What happened to them?? Who won the league?? 

We’ll just have to make do with what we have. We have long term crocks on the books too. We’ve already made the landmark signing in Hendry and the rest will merely make up the numbers. Hopefully the better midfielders will give our ropey defence a little more cover.

Last season! If you are talking on paper before the start of the season that is. Dumbarton had prob the best team on paper with some what we though were strong signings. What happened to them?? Who won the league?? 

Would disagree they were the best. I thought Arbroath had best squad right from the start.