The New Raith Rovers Thread

Presumably Murray will go, then. It’s good to see us holding out for a fee rather than stepping aside and allowing whichever club fancies them to come in and take them.

Murray is a strange one. I don’t think he’s ever done badly, but I don’t really know which position is his best. Looked out of place at right back, unnatural at left back and we conceded loads of goals with him at centre half. I’d be more than happy for him to stay on with us, mostly because he has played anywhere and everywhere across the back four and with a small squad we need that versatility, but I don’t really know where we should play him.

Stepped up to captain really well to be fair to him, and seems like a natural leader in the squad. Hope he stays. Sort of.

Presumably Murray will go, then. It’s good to see us holding out for a fee rather than stepping aside and allowing whichever club fancies them to come in and take them.

Murray is a strange one. I don’t think he’s ever done badly, but I don’t really know which position is his best. Looked out of place at right back, unnatural at left back and we conceded loads of goals with him at centre half. I’d be more than happy for him to stay on with us, mostly because he has played anywhere and everywhere across the back four and with a small squad we need that versatility, but I don’t really know where we should play him.

Stepped up to captain really well to be fair to him, and seems like a natural leader in the squad. Hope he stays. Sort of.
I'm not sure you're running with a particularly small squad this year though are you? Was sure I read your chairman (or someone on the board!) saying you were aiming for a squad around 22 players.

I'm not sure you're running with a particularly small squad this year though are you? Was sure I read your chairman (or someone on the board!) saying you were aiming for a squad around 22 players.
Considering the size of squads we've had the past few seasons that is a small squad by our standards.

To be honest I didn’t think Murray did especially well for us until the turn of the year in either of the past two seasons, from which point he was suddenly very good. I’d definitely rather keep him than not, but it wouldn’t necessarily be a disaster if he goes - especially if it forces McGlynn to sign a proper right back.

Very encouraging if we’re holding out for an acceptable fee as well.

This will include several younger players of course, guys like Tait and Watson who probably won’t feature much.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that he used to play in CDM. I wouldn't be averse to seeing him play there either.

Would much rather we keep Murray, but I'm relaxed provided the fee is reasonable. If we were offered £30k (which I really doubt we have been) I'd take it. 

The main thing, as has been said, is that we've moved away from the "cannae stand in the boy's way eh" mentality and are actually holding out for a fee. Possibly this is due to our circumstances now, but whatever it is I'm glad to see it. 

Considering the size of squads we've had the past few seasons that is a small squad by our standards.

Aye the Gary Locke season has to be the biggest in my memory. 107 players easily; a goalie, 4 defenders & 102 forward thinking players with 75 of them not getting a game

Aye the Gary Locke season has to be the biggest in my memory. 107 players easily; a goalie, 4 defenders & 102 forward thinking players with 75 of them not getting a game
A goalie? We used six or seven that season.

If I can be bothered later on, I'll count up how many goalkeepers we used in what I'm going to call "The Inter-McGurn Period". He was away for three years, and we'll be well into double figures.

6 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

If I can be bothered later on, I'll count up how many goalkeepers we used in what I'm going to call "The Inter-McGurn Period". He was away for three years, and we'll be well into double figures.

From memory, and only from when McGurn left:

Kevin Cuthbert

Aaron Lennox

Connor Brennan

Ryan Stevenson

Pavel Penksa

Rory Brian

Graeme Smith

Robbie Thompson

Keiran Wright

Kevin Silva (never played, did he?)

Dean Lyness

Sam McGuff (never played)

11 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Two on the bench for one game that season too if I remember right. Good old Gary Locke.

Just now, renton said:

From memory, and only from when McGurn left:

Kevin Cuthbert

Aaron Lennox

Connor Brennan

Ryan Stevenson

Pavel Penksa

Rory Brian

Graeme Smith

Robbie Thompson

Keiran Wright

Kevin Silva (never played, did he?)

Dean Lyness

Sam McGuff (never played)

Mcguff played against Cove for about 30 mins.