The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 hours ago, renton said:

In fairness there are unidentifiable things that wash up on beaches that I'd have preferred to Locke for the job.

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, we’re sitting laughing at the pish we’ve just read

Better ways to kill time on your honeymoon surely? 

sketch-1560189289275.png

47 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I remember last time we won the league being mocked by many, Willie Gray in particular, about the quality of players we signed. On paper they were mostly journeyman but McGlynn was able to mould them into a team greater than the sum of its parts.

The budget is being cut, therefore the quality on paper will be the poorest we have had in years but I’m hopeful we will be better than the last 2 seasons by actually resembling a coherent organised team. Still convinced Falkirk will walk the league mind you.

Dunno, kinda think that legend is slightly inflated because we took the two guys, Dunbar and Cook, from the amateurs. Neither was particularly successful though, as well as our wildcard spanish signing Gurrero who was pish. Of the rest, Walker and Smith came in from higher placed teams, Walker had lost his way a bit from being a talented youth at Livi and Smith was obviously comih through United's U21 team when it was good. Ferry came in from a pretty talented QP side. Wardlaw could be classed as a journeyman at the time right enough but we also brought in Wales who was a bit of a marquee signing. Simmons and Williamson came in from the championship and we also brought in Marv. The keepers were a bit of a gamble as usual for McGlynn but even ignoring his later heroics, McGurn had been at Morton for a while so hardly coming from nowhere either.

Edited by renton

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Dunno, kinda think that legend is slightly inflated because we took the two guys, Dunbar and Cook, from the amateurs. Neither was particularly successful though, as well as our wildcard spanish signing Gurrero who was pish. Of the rest, Walker and Smith came in from higher placed teams, Walker had lost his way a bit from being a talented youth at Livi and Smith was obviously comih through United's U21 team when it was good. Ferry came in from a pretty talented QP side. Wardlaw could be classed as a journeyman at the time right enough but we also brought in Wales who was a bit of a marquee signing. Simmons and Williamson came in from the championship and we also brought in Marv. The keepers were a bit of a gamble as usual for McGlynn but even ignoring his later heroics, McGurn had been at Morton for a while so hardly coming from nowhere either.

I’d argue the Walker and Ferry were the only ones that came with much expectation though. Wales did but he arrived after the season started. You’re right though that most of the players we signed were dropping down a level but none came with great reports as far as I can remember. 

I wouldn’t have classed Cook, Dunbar, Williamson, Wardlaw or even Smith and McGurn as particularly exciting signings at the time. However, most of them made part of a successful team. I was only a 15/16 year old lad back then so I may be mistaken about how the signings were perceived at the time. 

My main point is that signing great players on paper doesn’t always mean success. I remember being sure we’d win the league after we signed Buchanan and Spence when we first came down. A well organised cohesive team of average players can be better than a bunch of higher quality individuals. 

Basically I’m trying to convince myself that even when we announce 4 duds tomorrow, everything will be fine...

2 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’d argue the Walker and Ferry were the only ones that came with much expectation though. Wales did but he arrived after the season started. You’re right though that most of the players we signed were dropping down a level but none came with great reports as far as I can remember. 

I wouldn’t have classed Cook, Dunbar, Williamson, Wardlaw or even Smith and McGurn as particularly exciting signings at the time. However, most of them made part of a successful team. I was only a 15/16 year old lad back then so I may be mistaken about how the signings were perceived at the time. 

My main point is that signing great players on paper doesn’t always mean success. I remember being sure we’d win the league after we signed Buchanan and Spence when we first came down. A well organised cohesive team of average players can be better than a bunch of higher quality individuals. 

Basically I’m trying to convince myself that even when we announce 4 duds tomorrow, everything will be fine...

Pretty much this. 

Add Tade and Hill to that the following season. The other side is guys like Spence, Buchanan, Wighton, Daly who all came with a bit of expectation. 

I would like to think that 4 average journeyman could come in and do a better job than those who we have let go, it really isn't a hard act to follow at all. 

Right as we look forward to tomorrow’s date given by Bill in his interview it seems like there’s a recurring theme of us guessing boys and our several ‘in the knows’ telling us the script on them.

Any chance of a summary of all those mentioned or who is most likely to be our signings announced tomorrow and/or during the week?

9 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Nat Wedderburn?Thoughts?emoji90.png

Good range of passing but basically a statue. Also not the quickest at releasing the ball. So yeah can ping a ball just about anywhere, just don't expect it to happen too quickly and don't let him get too far up the park because he'll be utterly stranded.

4 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Victoria's last start for Airdrie was 17th November last year so he's either injury prone or had a major fall out with the manager. 

4 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Or he signed on loan to Stranraer for the second half of the season?

TBF to BB there did seem to be some sort of falling out between Murray and Victoria, or at least the rumour was Victoria had a bit of an 'attitude problem' that Murray didn't like. He certainly didn't fancy him as a player anyway as he barely featured under Murray and he was quick to get shot of him both in January when he went on loan to Stranraer and this summer even though he was still contracted to the club. Pretty much as soon as Murray came in Victoria found himself out the side as Murray played a tighter, more organised and defensive system which didn't suit Victoria's game at all. While he had been outstanding for the first month or two of the season, I think by that point he was a bit of a busted flush anyway. 

When he signed for us, I don't think any Airdrie fan had any expectation for him to do well. He couldn't get a game in a poor Albion Rovers side that had just been relegated the season before and he hadn't cut it anywhere else in Scotland apart from at East Kilbride at a much lower level. But he came on against Accies in the League Cup, scored the equaliser and he was terrific from that point onwards. Tricky, skilful, unpredictable, hard to defend against and he was the first player in years at Airdrie that was genuinely entertaining to watch every time he got the ball. He was scoring too and in fact, he still ended up our third top goalscorer with 8 goals despite playing for what was probably under half a season. If he'd kept that form up he'd have walked our POTY vote. But after the first couple of the months of the season, his form dipped. Defences got wise to him. And they got cynical towards him too. The old cliche that if you half the winger the first time he gets the ball he'll disappear seemed to come true with Victoria. The Sutton United game sticks out particularly as one where he was bullied and muscled out the game quickly and effectively.  From that point on he didn't seem the same player although he still did have moments of quality. But if defences were wise to him he'd fade out the game quite dramatically actually and you'd be as well playing with a man down. 

As I said above too once Murray came in he changed the way we set up and Victoria never really got a look in after that. Despite his attacking prowess, he didn't offer anything defensively. He didn't track back, follow or mark any players or get into a defensive shape. And even when he did he didn't play anywhere near the level he had reached at the beginning of the season. He seemed to do okay at Stranraer. He scored a few times for them although they've said the same thing about the defensive side of his game. 

With Victoria, you COULD have a good player on your hands. If McGlynn can play a system where he doesn't have any defensive responsibilities and that gets the best of him in an attacking sense he could do very well for you, A lot of Airdrie fans still speak highly of him but I'm not convinced. His latter form at Airdrie seemed to be him reverting to the mean of his usual quality of play that he'd shown at other clubs. 

Oooft.

2 hours ago, mikedafc said:
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:21, JFPar said:
Right let’s get this thing lit today then. When’s Nisbet signing?

This development fee that Raith want is probably the sticking point holding up Nisbet signing for anyone

36 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

Looking for 30k

The most amazing thing I learnt today about Nat Wedderburn is that he’s only 27! Could have sworn he was around 32. Imagine what he’ll be like when his legs do go.