The New Raith Rovers Thread

Dougie Hill is the only Brechin player I'd be interested in us signing. Cleaned up their player of the season awards and I'd really rather we avoided signing players from a team that suffered two relegations in a row. 

However, despite what's reported above regarding signings, we do not need a CB unless one of our current CBs leaves the club. We also need to sign a RB and not just bin one of our CBs out there just because. 

45 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Dougie Hill is the only Brechin player I'd be interested in us signing. Cleaned up their player of the season awards and I'd really rather we avoided signing players from a team that suffered two relegations in a row. 

However, despite what's reported above regarding signings, we do not need a CB unless one of our current CBs leaves the club. We also need to sign a RB and not just bin one of our CBs out there just because. 

I was sorry to see Dougie leave Dumbarton, a good steady defender and he gets the odd goal too.

36 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Happy Claude Anelka day

07/06/04 quite possibly the worst decision ever in our history, but there has been some serious competition to out do it in the last 15 years.

Still remember it clearly. 

Walked into do my paper round and there was Anelka plastered all over the back pages saying he would make is Scotland's third force. 

You knew it was doomed from the start when you saw that. 

I have to say that the two recent interviews with Ali More and Bill Clarke have given me much more faith in the current running of the club than I have had for some time. I responded fairly positively to the player fund consultation and intend to support it when it comes online. I've also upped my Rovers lotto subscription on the back of these interviews to give that wee bit extra help.

Season book might be a bit far given current family commitments but hopefully my wee boy wants to go more and more this season and the season book purchase for me and him can happen in the near future. I still intend to get along to half a dozen or so games over the season. He'll definitely get his Rovers kit though and I'm quite keen on this 25 year commemoration kit for the Coca Cola cup anniversary for myself (although I've still got the original and thanks to 90's baggy style fashion it still fits :lol:)

The signing of Regan Hendry is great news, as is the prediction that Vaughan may return in August. We'll see what the 4/5 signings are next week but so far so good this close season for me. I feel we have decent, competent folk running the club who are also fans. Bill Clarke's assessment of last seasons squad both collectively and individually was refreshingly honest and imo fairly accurate. The Hybrid model really should've came last season and hopefully it gives us a bit of depth and experience we lacked at times last season.

With the ongoing turmoil at Falkirk and Forfar unlikely to be as strong next season there's no reason for us not to believe we can get out of this league this time of asking. 

f**k me, happy pills are strong...

We've been linked with Kevin Nisbet.  Any good?  What kind of player is he? 

Could do with upping his goal ratio if I’m honest. Hopefully 1 of the 3 teams after him can pay the fee so we can get it over with.

13 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Could do with upping his goal ratio if I’m honest. Hopefully 1 of the 3 teams after him can pay the fee so we can get it over with.

I know it's inevitable but it's still going to hurt when he goes. Breaking my wee heart.

:lol: 

Seriously?   Or you just not wanting to lose him?

Scored the joint most league goals in the whole of the country last season with 30 league goals in 32 league games. As he missed the whole of January and didn’t feature in our final league game either.

He has everything for me. His touch is decent. He’s brilliant at bringing others into play. Can score tap-ins, headers, screamers. He never misses pens. Also scored a cracking free kick up at Arbroath in April. Got a knack for being in the right place at the right time as well.

In saying that, he did look out of his depth a bit in the playoffs against Queens. Was due to lack of service more than anything though.

Not sure if it would be a season too soon for him though to step back up as Ayr and Dumbarton fans would tell you about how shite he was for them up there within the last 2/3 years.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Scored the joint most league goals in the whole of the country last season with 30 league goals in 32 league games. As he missed the whole of January and didn’t feature in our final league game either.

In saying that, he did look out of his depth a bit in the playoffs against Queens. Was due to lack of service more than anything though.

Not sure if it would be a season too soon for him though to step back up as Ayr and Dumbarton fans would tell you about how shite he was for them up there within the last 2/3 years.

Sounds a bit like Declan McManus syndrome.

Pretty incredible that he's got an upwards move. His legs were gone at league 1 level. Can only imagine it'll be a coaching role and he's using sparingly as back up. Can't complain about the effort Buchanan put in so wish him all the best.

To be fair Alloa play on a pitch about the size of a 7s pitch. Won't need to do much running.

56 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

We've been linked with Kevin Nisbet.  Any good?  What kind of player is he? 

To score 30 league goals in that side last season is a quite incredible feat to be honest. Essentially he was the only reason a bang average League 1 side were even in the playoffs.

He looked out of his depth against Queens, and whilst there definitely was an element of poor service there, he wasn’t getting anywhere near as much time on the ball to breeze past players as he has done this season against League 1 sides. 

Worth a shot in the Championship though and certainly deserves it. Some players just need that drop down a level to get going, and some just have a level they excel at – so will be interesting to see which side of the coin he falls. 

That being said, I’d rather have a fit Vaughan and Hendry and lose Nisbet, as opposed to keep Nisbet without the other two – as the latter didn’t get us promoted