The New Raith Rovers Thread

I could be imagining this, but I was sure on the Alba coverage there was an interview with Davidson shown at half time where there was brief mention of a player/coach role, all dependent on what league you were in.  
No your remembering it correctly.

The comments on Davo are similar to the comments on Thomson last season. I think he’s still a good player. Put him in a slightly better team and he’d be fine. Put him in a team with no right back and a sub-standard left back and stick a poor midfield in front of him and he looks a bit exposed. Understandably.

Hopefully John McGlynn can sort us out now he has a full summer to recruit who he wants.

44 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

A winner really!!! Erm he shouts and balls at everyone apart from himself. His mistakes cost us goals and blames everybody for his lack of skill. Get rid. He’s been here way too long, unless we’re utilising him as a coach of some kind

Why would you utilize a long ball merchant as a coach?

When Davo has his head screwed on and is focused on the game itself he is a very useful defender. However too often he lets little things get to him throughout the match resulting in losses of concentration, rash challenges and acts of petulance.  He has been a great servant on and off the park and clearly he wants the best for the club. Whether that is enough to warrant a new contact, i'm not sure. 

The comments on Davo are similar to the comments on Thomson last season. I think he’s still a good player. Put him in a slightly better team and he’d be fine. Put him in a team with no right back and a sub-standard left back and stick a poor midfield in front of him and he looks a bit exposed. Understandably.
Hopefully John McGlynn can sort us out now he has a full summer to recruit who he wants.
Aye it has to be said davo has suffered from having to cover the rb or lack there off for most of the season. That doesn't take away from his own individual mistakes though. If mcglynn thinks he has something to offer in a player/ coach role then I'll trust him but davo shouldn't be a starter every week next season.

41 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I think Thomson offered us more than Davo, however I agree with the thrust of this. Davo has another year or two in him at this level provided we have a decent defence and midfield around him. However, he will also be one of our higher earners so if we can replace him with two part time animals at centre half then that would be a good bit of businesss imo.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

If anyone else caught John McGlynn and Paul Smith’s reaction when he shat out of an 80-20 challenge with Arbroath’s goalkeeper in February, you wouldn’t be surprised by this at all...

That was Flanagan's defining moment unfortunately. There we were, all square in the first half of our last realistic shot at putting pressure on the league leaders, and Flanagan finds himself clear favourite to get to the ball before  the Arbroath goalkeeper. Rather than risk getting clattered by the goalkeeper's follow through he pulls out completely. 

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That was Flanagan's defining moment unfortunately. There we were, all square in the first half of our last realistic shot at putting pressure on the league leaders, and Flanagan finds himself clear favourite to get to the ball before  the Arbroath goalkeeper. Rather than risk getting clattered by the goalkeeper's follow through he pulls out completely. 

He would've shat it up in Forfar too if Travis didn't pull him back! 

If we are indeed interested in McGeever who appears to be injury prone having played very little over the last two years and given our medical bills over that last number of seasons which has had a major impact on finances  surely it would be irresponsible of McGlynn to sign the likes of McGeever and the  board if they sanctioned it

There wasn't much in that incident you're talking about if you watch it back. DJ was out quickly and dove forward on to it, maybe slightly favoured him bit harsh I think if you actually imagine yourself playing. Only thing that would've really changed if he won't for it is him clattering DJ imo

Back to Davo I would keep him as cover because he is versatile and useful to have in the squad but I wouldn't want him starting every week.

As for the rest i trust mcglynn to get the majority of his signings right, just so long as he starts with a right back.

We have made a necessary decision to switch to the hybrid system imo. 

It could give us a good blend of squad and depth that was lacking last season.

If we are looking at players from within the division, Ross Forbes would be a tremendous signing, he may be out of contract too. Any Sons fans that can clarify? Thanks 

As SSD says above the Hybrid system we are adopting is the only way forward as a viable and sustainable solution. And I fully agree we’ll get the mix of PT/FT correct. There are some very talented Part Timers and this club i firmly believe will be on the frontline of some players aspirations. A big headed view I know, and there’s no harm in thinking that. We as supporters think this about our respective clubs, and anyone that disagrees is a liar. I’m glad we didn’t follow last seasons Full Time model as it failed dismally. Although according to Ali More this hybrid will feature heavily on being Full Time players and supplemented with Part Timers. It worked before and I firmly believe it’ll work again. Over to you McGlynn and Smith

44 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

We have made a necessary decision to switch to the hybrid system imo. 

It could give us a good blend of squad and depth that was lacking last season.

If we are looking at players from within the division, Ross Forbes would be a tremendous signing, he may be out of contract too. Any Sons fans that can clarify? Thanks 

I can confirm that I Ross is out of contract. He's got a decent nightshift job outside football and a young family though - so I'm not sure how into either part-time training in Fife and then a dash to work or a return to full-time football he'd be.

For a lot of footballers FT simply isn't the aim the money isn't good enough at the lower levels. The benefit of a hybrid is you'll get the benefit of younger guys who have aspirations of a FT career and older guys who are finishing up their FT careers whilst also being able to sign everyone from 23-30ish on part time contracts too.

f**k knows why Airdrie have done it.

Did you not just answer your own question?

I can confirm that I Ross is out of contract. He's got a decent nightshift job outside football and a young family though - so I'm not sure how into either part-time training in Fife and then a dash to work or a return to full-time football he'd be.

I’d definitely be interested if we could offer a deal to Ross purely because of that absolute screamer at Starks on the coldest day of my life.