The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not sure if we’re interested in him or not but what’s happened to him?

Just 2 or 3 years ago, he was a player that was rated very highly in the lower leagues..?

It’s in the courier that you lot and Montrose are interested. He had a knee injury in his first season at Brechin. He was terrible when on loan at us a few years back and in the times I seen him last season I thought he would struggle to find another league side to take him.

10 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Unless Sim decided to bankroll a proper season of full time football then I agree no alternative...and there's probably more chance of Barry Smith being made honorary president than that happening.

My point is I just feel the feeling that we're suddenly going to have all the best part time players out there for next season is extremely unlikely. Which free part time players out there and and available are we suddenly going to attract in the next month?

Dont know who is out there, that's up to Mcglynn and Smith.

Just have to trust the management team right now, it's their time to build their own squad and there can be no complaints with developments so far with regards to released players. 

The carrot for boys that want to get back into f/t having been p/t is that you guys are offering a hybrid squad. Prove yourself on a p/t contract and there is the opportunity that you could end up with a f/t contract.

I think both yourselves and Airdrie might be able to recruit a some players who are dropping down the leagues with that type of incentive. 

The carrot for boys that want to get back into f/t having been p/t is that you guys are offering a hybrid squad. Prove yourself on a p/t contract and there is the opportunity that you could end up with a f/t contract.
I think both yourselves and Airdrie might be able to recruit a some players who are dropping down the leagues with that type of incentive. 

For a lot of footballers FT simply isn't the aim the money isn't good enough at the lower levels. The benefit of a hybrid is you'll get the benefit of younger guys who have aspirations of a FT career and older guys who are finishing up their FT careers whilst also being able to sign everyone from 23-30ish on part time contracts too.

f**k knows why Airdrie have done it.

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

For a lot of footballers FT simply isn't the aim the money isn't good enough at the lower levels. The benefit of a hybrid is you'll get the benefit of younger guys who have aspirations of a FT career and older guys who are finishing up their FT careers whilst also being able to sign everyone from 23-30ish on part time contracts too.

f**k knows why Airdrie have done it.

If you go back 30 years most teams outwith the top division were part-time. I can see it returning to that, or at least to hybrid systems.

I remember there being a bit of a clamour on here to get Flanagan tied up on a long-term deal shortly after McGlynn arrived. There were also no complaints when that materialised.

I’m not upset he’s gone but he did offer us something we don’t have - width and the skill to beat a man. Showed in his cameo at Forfar in the play-offs that he has ability. But I accept he didn’t show it enough. Isn’t that a problem with all wingers though?

Guess we’re going down the grafters route.

49 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

I remember there being a bit of a clamour on here to get Flanagan tied up on a long-term deal shortly after McGlynn arrived. There were also no complaints when that materialised.

I’m not upset he’s gone but he did offer us something we don’t have - width and the skill to beat a man. Showed in his cameo at Forfar in the play-offs that he has ability. But I accept he didn’t show it enough. Isn’t that a problem with all wingers though?

Flanagan's best run of form was when Armstrong came into the team and it was during this spell that he was tied up on the new contract. Unfortunately as soon as Armstrong disappeared, Flanagan did too.

14 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Am I the only one who thinks this attitude that we'll be able to get the best part time players is extremely wishful thinking? The best ones will be at the two part time clubs in the league above us and by the sounds of it both East Fife and Forfar are well ahead of us in terms of recruitment.

I seriously worry for us next season.

No, I would keep Davidson for an other year without any hesitation.

He is a winner and his attitude shows that. Sure he shouts and moans at the other players. He has every right to do so. He was giving Craine pelters in almost every game. Rightly so becuase Craine was a lazy, useless bombscare of a left back.

Davo might not play every week because he is reaching the end of his career but he is a real professional.

2 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

Flanagan offered us nothing, never seen this ability to beat a man, heart the size off a pea and would hide on the pitch, his "performance" at QOS was awful, I for one am glad he is away.   

Flanagan offered us nothing, never seen this ability to beat a man, heart the size off a pea and would hide on the pitch, his "performance" at QOS was awful, I for one am glad he is away.   

Were you at Forfar? The 5-1 win at Dumbarton? You can’t say he doesn’t have ability. Consistency, confidence and attitude were no doubt concerns but he has skill.

10 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Were you at Forfar? The 5-1 win at Dumbarton? You can’t say he doesn’t have ability. Consistency, confidence and attitude were no doubt concerns but he has skill.

I was at Forfar but not at Dumbarton, he wasn't great and is certainly one player that we couldn't afford to wait 6 or 7 games on a semi decent performance, he had too go.  

28 minutes ago, graeme_p said:

He is a winner and his attitude shows that. Sure he shouts and moans at the other players. He has every right to do so. He was giving Craine pelters in almost every game. Rightly so becuase Craine was a lazy, useless bombscare of a left back.

Davo might not play every week because he is reaching the end of his career but he is a real professional.

Davo's past it.

Flanagan is a pretty good football player, I’ve little doubt he’s grown up being better than the majority of his peers and someone that everyone thought would ‘make it’. On ability alone he shouldn’t even have been with us.

He‘s let down by his attitude/desire. That could be rooted in any number of issues so I don’t want to mean it as a personal attack, but he was a passenger for the vast majority of this season.

If anyone else caught John McGlynn and Paul Smith’s reaction when he shat out of an 80-20 challenge with Arbroath’s goalkeeper in February, you wouldn’t be surprised by this at all...

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

It’s in the courier that you lot and Montrose are interested. He had a knee injury in his first season at Brechin. He was terrible when on loan at us a few years back and in the times I seen him last season I thought he would struggle to find another league side to take him.

Because he was terrible with you lot doesnt necessarily make him a terrible player.

Nisbet wasnt rated at Dumbarton but ended up league top goal scorer with us this season

Edited by Rovers_Lad

58 minutes ago, graeme_p said:

This

A winner really!!! Erm he shouts and balls at everyone apart from himself. His mistakes cost us goals and blames everybody for his lack of skill. Get rid. He’s been here way too long, unless we’re utilising him as a coach of some kind

I could be imagining this, but I was sure on the Alba coverage there was an interview with Davidson shown at half time where there was brief mention of a player/coach role, all dependent on what league you were in.