The New Raith Rovers Thread

What's the alternative? Stay full time with no money and develop a piss thin squad with no depth at all. 
Sounds familiar. 
Not sure there is an alternative but we might be a bit late to the party this season in terms of attracting the better part time players.
If we can hold on to a decent core of full time players that will help though.

There is no good option. We can't market ourselves as the best option for PT football as we aren't, but what is certain is that we are the worst option for anyone seeking FT football and are therefore their last choice. 

We can however probably offer good PT wages and so should at the very least be an attractive option. 

We are damned no matter what we do. Financially, we cannot afford to be fully FT. 

Edited by Michael W

There are players stepping down from full time to part time every season. Just because a lot of the better part time players from last season are under contract doesn’t mean there won’t be others looking to make the change from full time.

We lost Jason Thomson and Scott Robertson for that reason last year, we also missed out on Rory Loy (thankfully!). There will be some decent players in the Championship looking to drop down to part time football that we’ll be in a good position to bring in. 

What's the alternative? Stay full time with no money and develop a piss thin squad with no depth at all. 
Sounds familiar. 
Unless Sim decided to bankroll a proper season of full time football then I agree no alternative...and there's probably more chance of Barry Smith being made honorary president than that happening.

My point is I just feel the feeling that we're suddenly going to have all the best part time players out there for next season is extremely unlikely. Which free part time players out there and and available are we suddenly going to attract in the next month?

There are players stepping down from full time to part time every season. Just because a lot of the better part time players from last season are under contract doesn’t mean there won’t be others looking to make the change from full time.
We lost Jason Thomson and Scott Robertson for that reason last year, we also missed out on Rory Loy (thankfully!). There will be some decent players in the Championship looking to drop down to part time football that we’ll be in a good position to bring in. 
Only if that pesky Bazza at Kelty Hearts doesn't get in first....

6 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Surely Raith must be confident of keeping Nisbet and getting Vaughan fit, having released Buchanan and Duggan?

Not necessarily. Getting Vaughan fit, aye. Keeping him that way, maybe. Keeping Nisbet... if he has a release clause that he can activate then very much doubt it.

On the other hand, Buchanan is 34 and reputedly the top earner at the club. He's given good service at the club but doesn't have 90 mins in him. Duggan was barely fit for more games than Vaughan in the end. No doubt he'll go onto have a long career and never miss another game and he was definitely useful when he was fit, good energy, strong but not really an eye for goal tbf. Played his part in a couple of wins but maube one of those ones where McGlynn is after something else.

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
49 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:
Surely Raith must be confident of keeping Nisbet and getting Vaughan fit, having released Buchanan and Duggan?

McGlynn will have Graham Weir and Stevie Hislop waiting in the wings.

Aye, and Chris Silvestro will be easier paid than Nat Wedderburn. 

Quite excited to see how this hybrid scenario pans out this time round, I’m confident McGlynn will recruit well with his contacts and we will hopefully look a lot stronger than the woeful squad Smith assembled at the start of the year.

After watching the video with Ali More, i’m more confident than i was going forward. I fancied the hybrid system and it sounds like McGlynn has some signings lined up with some likely as soon as this week (hopefully Hendry). Fingers crossed we can get Wright back on loan from Rangers and stick with him rather than this swapping keepers nonsense.
I can see Davo getting a player/coach role and whilst I agree his better days are behind him, you only have to look at the last game to see he still has quality. Yes, he has a habit of having a go at other players but I found it mainly to be Crane, Wedderburn and Flanagan..can we really blame him?
I’m not sure how long Dingwall is out for but if he’s fit in the next couple of months then i’d be happy to see him stay.
I also hope that Vaughan stays with us, as does Matthews. Nisbet is also a must!
What we need? A keeper, 2 full backs, 2 centre mids, 2/3 wingers and 2 forwards. Looks like John is going to be busy!

Have to echo the comments made by Holy Marv. I remember watching Kirkpatrick the season before and he was instrumental in their success. Forfar already showing their ambition. I trust McGlynn to get the right mix. Because we have long term injuries to Vaughan, Dingwall and Thomson we need to fill these roles even on a short term basis or atleast until match fit as that may take some time. We need two goalkeepers and I’d be really happy with Wright in from Rangers. Or maybe Gaston on a part time contract. Not sure what’s available in all the other positions.

I see you are interested in signing Ryan McGeever who has just been released by Brechin. A player who is no better than league 2 level

Not sure if we’re interested in him or not but what’s happened to him?

Just 2 or 3 years ago, he was a player that was rated very highly in the lower leagues..?