The New Raith Rovers Thread

The main issue for me with going part time is that we'll be left trying to pick up the best of the rest. When it happens there will need to be a transition period for it.

I think we have as good a chance next season part time. I don't expect us to finish above Falkirk, so we are fighting a play off place. If either Alloa or Arbroath are second bottom then we would have, IMO as much chance as we have had in these playoffs. The issue is as others have stated. The best players are already tried up to clubs already

I think it would have been poor management at the club, not to make McGlynn aware that we could go P/T next season. 

Would also be short sighted of McGlynn not to ask this at any point since Christmas.

It would also be piss poor for McGlynn not to have 2 sets of players he wanted to sign, one for each league.

42 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Didn’t Penman offer monetary assistance some time ago and was refused. Did he want some sort of high level executive position and again refused point blank. If that’s the case we can’t be knocking things like this back. Please don’t bite my head off. This was talked about a while back, don’t know if it was on here or the Facebook group.

Yeah I'm sure he did but I don't think the board at the time wanted someone to invest in the club and have a say in how it was used.

47 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The main issue for me with going part time is that we'll be left trying to pick up the best of the rest. 

Eh? If Raith went part time you'd be the biggest part time side in the country, with likely the biggest budget of all part time sides. I get that Alloa and Arbroath being in the Championship means you'll have them to contend with, but as far as top end League 1 part time players go, you should have the pick of the bunch.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Eh? If Raith went part time you'd be the biggest part time side in the country, with likely the biggest budget of all part time sides. I get that Alloa and Arbroath being in the Championship means you'll have them to contend with, but as far as top end League 1 part time players go, you should have the pick of the bunch.

I'm not going to dispute that, but currently a lot of the really good part time players will be under contract with other clubs. It might take a season or two before we can really start seeing the benefit of being the largest part time team.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Maybe. 

But available players that are decent aren't going to hang around for Raith to make a call on PT/FT whilst they consider the offer their own club has made them. 

Edited by Michael W

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Maybe. 

But available players that are decent aren't going to hang around for Raith to make a call on PT/FT whilst they consider the offer their own club has made them. 

I'm guessing your board will know for certain which way they'll need to go depending on the division you're in.  I certainly don't expect you to be waiting longer than a week after tomorrow to find out. There's plenty time to build a full time or part time squad.

I heard the full timers do have a clause in there contract but also the club  so it’s kind of a double edge sword. We can punt players we don’t want but run the risk of the guys who have signed extensions could walk but if we had done the business in the league we wouldn’t be worried. I look forward to a part time squad  as long as we can keep Nisbet, Vaughan, Thomson, Murray and McKay on full time contracts

Edited by basher brash

In recent times we’ve seen full time players leave us to inevitably drop down to part time (C Barr, B Barr, Stewart, Johnston, Jason Thomson, Spence, Nade, Handling, Court, McCord, Milne...). All relatively well known players from the Championship down. There’s no guarantee anyone at the club that wants to leave to pursue full time football (if we go part time) will be successful. It wouldn’t surprise me if we offloaded some players that they find themselves having to look at part time football if I’m honest.