The New Raith Rovers Thread

Bit presumptuous with a second leg still to play, and enough european exploits to show a first leg lead means nothing, but..... if Raith don't go up does the board keep McGlynn?

They stood by Smith when he didn't get up, but the pressure on a flying start then ramps up on McGlynn for next season, in what will be arguably a much tougher league.   

Suspect all but Flanagan will be gone in the summer, and only because he's got another year on his contract and won't get a better offer. Buchanan is apparently a high earner as well. 
Wouldn't be surprised by the Buchanan bit. He was proven at this level with Livingston not long ago so I can understand he will have been negotiating at the time from somewhat of a position of power, but a striker aging from 24 to 26 is not the same as 31/32 to 34. He's done at this level, both in terms of age/ability and he can probably get a decent wage in the juniors/LL given the cash being chucked about. You can do better.

Well, we weren't in the part time market this year. Fully accept that we got the dross from the full time crowd with one or two exceptions.

Technically you were, by taking some PT players and making them FT!!!

But a few of you were saying it was shit or bust regarding FT at Starks last season, IF you don't go up will you be able to finance it again for another year, if the answer is yes then all this PT/hybrid talk is moot!!!

Our FT players under contract are by no means guaranteed to stay here. 

We are told costs are under control following the disaster of 2017/18, but given the scale of loss that year I imagibe we'll still make a significant loss, albeit a more tolerable one. I struggle to see how we can go again with a fully FT set up, particularly given the dross we've lumbered ourselves with as a result. 

15 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Technically you were, by taking some PT players and making them FT!!!

But a few of you were saying it was shit or bust regarding FT at Starks last season, IF you don't go up will you be able to finance it again for another year, if the answer is yes then all this PT/hybrid talk is moot!!!

I'm not sure that staying full time is worth it even if we can. I've said it before, but it's not enough to simply be full time, you have to have the budget to be getting good full timers, which is a tougher proposition as your then trying to entice guys who could be playing a league higher for at least the same wages. Depending on the balance of FT/PT I think we probably could entice some decent part timers and even maybe a right back and a midfielder that can run the length of themselves.

Edited by renton

20 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:
25 minutes ago, renton said:
Suspect all but Flanagan will be gone in the summer, and only because he's got another year on his contract and won't get a better offer. Buchanan is apparently a high earner as well. 

Wouldn't be surprised by the Buchanan bit. He was proven at this level with Livingston not long ago so I can understand he will have been negotiating at the time from somewhat of a position of power, but a striker aging from 24 to 26 is not the same as 31/32 to 34. He's done at this level, both in terms of age/ability and he can probably get a decent wage in the juniors/LL given the cash being chucked about. You can do better.

Yeah, suspect he falls into that famous Rovers category of 'one year too late' - you can still sometimes see the player he was, but it's physically beyond him at this level now.

27 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

Bit presumptuous with a second leg still to play, and enough european exploits to show a first leg lead means nothing, but..... if Raith don't go up does the board keep McGlynn?

They stood by Smith when he didn't get up, but the pressure on a flying start then ramps up on McGlynn for next season, in what will be arguably a much tougher league.   

McGlynn will stick around. You can point out how he didn't fix the defensive frailties, but he did also work to improve our attacking options and had to cope with replacing injuries as well. I'd be confident that given the summer he'd at least have a plan for what he wanted next year, unlike the previous summer where Smith seemed to have no real focus for his transfers other than who was immediately available and who's phone number he had.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

I'm not sure that staying full time is worth it even if we can. I've said it before, but it's not enough to simply be full time, you have to have the budget to be getting good full timers, which is a tougher proposition as your then trying to entice guys who could be playing a league higher for at least the same wages. Depending on the balance of FT/PT I think we probably could entice some decent part timers and even maybe a right back and a midfielder that can run the length of themselves.

This. Full time football can't cover up the failings of a poor to average squad. 

11 hours ago, foreverarover said:
11 hours ago, Passionate said:
Thanks for your input,  but you are talking pish,  the seaside league sounds great initially,  a few away days somewhere different, teams you haven't met for a while..   The long and short of it is , it is bloody hard to get out off as rait h are finding out,  the football from most sides is mind numbingly boring and you get skinned 16notes for the privilege...  Therein lies the problem,   A couple of years back the Raith stand behind the g o a l would have been nearly full.   Tonight probably about a th ir d full,   Next year probably le ss again same as ourselves,   Death by a thousand cuts scenario,  depressing yes,   Factual He ll yes..

good luck at Palmerston by the way. 

I'm assuming by you name on hear you support Airdrie. They lost a lot of fans with the Clydebank thing. They haven't recovered since.

No we didn't.

We can't afford to punt another management team with a years contract left.

And if we did who the fech would be stupid enough to want to come in and do the job. Firing managers like confetti. If I was an up and coming manager I wouldn't touch us with a barge pole.

2 hours ago, FullTimePint said:

If we go part time which is not beyond the realms of possibility theres no justification on having a full time manager.Beyond that we cant afford to sack him

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:
2 hours ago, renton said:

Buchanan has scored something like 13 goals in 26 games and i,m sure theres plenty teams in this league that would love that return from one of their players

55 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

We can't afford to punt another management team with a years contract left.

And if we did who the fech would be stupid enough to want to come in and do the job. Firing managers like confetti. If I was an up and coming manager I wouldn't touch us with a barge pole.

Barry Smith resigned...