The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Glad you aren’t bitter about losing to us :-)you aren’t John Baird by any chance;-)

????

1:1 Starks

0:2 Gayfield

0:1 Starks

2:2 Gayfield (after the league was won)

1st place in the league vs 3rd in the league. Why should I be bitter?

Best of luck at Palmerston on Saturday. Are you going?

Edited by lichtgilphead

Surely being one of the biggest part time clubs in the country is far better than being the worst full time club?

At this level, there isn’t too much between part time and full time players ability wise and players will probably earn more having a part time contract and a full time gig out with football.

Having watched the most of the game tonight, and seeing the likes of Davidson and Wedderburn masquerading as footballers, I wonder what the benefits of full time football are. Simple 5 yard passes that couldn’t even find a team mate. Fitness, isn’t an issue either as players look after themselves a lot better these days.

If Raith stay full time next season you will be competing with Falkirk for the worst full time players available, and I would fear Raith a lot more if they were part time as I’m sure they would be able to offer a decent wage to the best part time players out there.

Biggest part time team in the country? 

I don’t think the tie is all over yet with qots, the first goal on Saturday will probably define that... raith still have a chance (slim but there) 

but don’t kid yourselves on that if you went part time, all of a sudden you are big fish. Part-time players have plenty options, junior teams aswell now with deep pockets, that will make offers even raith won’t compete with. 

Decent attendances dont equal decent squads. We are pretty much back to the basics of football, squad balance, and building the team around key players who stay fit and on form. Have you signed anyone up for next year, outwith the current squad? If not you are 2 weeks behind everyone else now, and the decent players go fast. 

If I wasn’t crabbit enough, I’ve just listened to that Off The Ball interview with Gary Locke.

F*ck me.

Mid-table and weren’t in any relegation trouble?

Didn’t have long enough to make his own stamp on the club?

His stamp on the club has put us where we are now.

I appreciate his IQ is probably at such a level that he finds off and of confusing, never mind there, their and they’re, but he can’t genuinely believe that?

Assuming we can't claw this back on Saturday and take a decision to go with either a hybrid or part time set up, how many good part time players are likely to be available for us to sign? You've got Arbroath and Alloa a league above us who will be more attractive options and who already have most of the best part timers playing for them. Then you've got the guys that are already signed up by the likes of Forfar, East Fife and Montrose.
Anyone thinking that going part time means that we'll automatically end up with all the best part time players is kidding themselves. If people think this season was bad, next season is likely to be worse.

24 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Assuming we can't claw this back on Saturday and take a decision to go with either a hybrid or part time set up, how many good part time players are likely to be available for us to sign? You've got Arbroath and Alloa a league above us who will be more attractive options and who already have most of the best part timers playing for them. Then you've got the guys that are already signed up by the likes of Forfar, East Fife and Montrose.
Anyone thinking that going part time means that we'll automatically end up with all the best part time players is kidding themselves. If people think this season was bad, next season is likely to be worse.

So basically, we won't get good full timers because everyone in the championship and Falkirk will snap them up, and we won't get good part timers because of everyone else...

Edited by renton

I think what's more important than anything else is having a balanced squad with players in the correct positions, and some kind of squad depth, whether that is full time or otherwise

Like having a right back playing right back, for example. 

42 minutes ago, renton said:

So basically, we won't get good full timers because everyone in the championship and Falkirk will snap them up, and we won't get good part timers because of everyone else...

Pretty much....

Well... That's what happened to you this season, why would it change???

20 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

That's crazy talk. 

I reckon there's an attitude/lack of cajones situation going on and it's up to  McGlynn to get rid of the weak ones in that respect. 

I would agree with that. For most of the season we have had a lot of players that turn up when they want to, shown most clearly by our form away from home where we’ve been regularly out worked and out fought. After the last few years a return to the McGlynn teams that fought for everything and gave 100% every week would be a welcome change.

Obviously you don’t want to empty the squad of quality just to fill it with workers, you need the right balance and players that can do both. Nathan Flanagan is almost the epitome of our squad. He clearly has a bit of ability and when he is at his best can be very good but he has a heart the size of a pea. Can’t rely on him consistently throughout a long season.

In saying that, can’t fault the players for effort last night, it was a lack of quality in both boxes which undone us. Absolute scenes if we line up for our first game next season with proper full backs and a competent keeper.

There’s still a game to go so I won’t do a full list just now but I’d genuinely only be disappointed to lose Vaughan and Nisbet from the current squad. There are other players I’d keep but if they left I wouldn’t be too downhearted. 

Edited by R.R.FC

2 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

If I wasn’t crabbit enough, I’ve just listened to that Off The Ball interview with Gary Locke.

F*ck me.

Mid-table and weren’t in any relegation trouble?

Didn’t have long enough to make his own stamp on the club?

His stamp on the club has put us where we are now.

I appreciate his IQ is probably at such a level that he finds off and of confusing, never mind there, their and they’re, but he can’t genuinely believe that?

Glad to be of service :P

The tie from last night obviously isn't over yet, you never know. But too many argue about your team's lack of bottle. It's nothing to do with that, it's a lack of quality. You've a team of part-time players (See Duggan, Buchanan, Flanagan) that Smith decided to make full time, combined with an aging Davidson, a horrible goalkeeping rotation and a relatively poor midfield sans-Vaughan. It's nothing to do with bottle, the balance of the squad is of course horrendous but the players that were signed in the first place aren't good enough anyway.

I think a clear out in the summer could do Raith the world of good. You can't keep holding onto players that have proven they're not good enough on multiple occasions. It's not for me to say but if you punted Buchanan, Duggan, Wedderburn, Gillespie, Flanagan, Davidson plus every single one of your keepers you might be able to assemble a reasonable squad with the freed up wages. By jove, you might even sign a right back!

I won't get into the part-time/full-time/hybrid argument again, that's a debate for your board to have depending on whether you can rescue it on Saturday.  

17 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Well... That's what happened to you this season, why would it change???

Well, we weren't in the part time market this year. Fully accept that we got the dross from the full time crowd with one or two exceptions.

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Glad to be of service :P

The tie from last night obviously isn't over yet, you never know. But too many argue about your team's lack of bottle. It's nothing to do with that, it's a lack of quality. You've a team of part-time players (See Duggan, Buchanan, Flanagan) that Smith decided to make full time, combined with an aging Davidson, a horrible goalkeeping rotation and a relatively poor midfield sans-Vaughan. It's nothing to do with bottle, the balance of the squad is of course horrendous but the players that were signed in the first place aren't good enough anyway.

I think a clear out in the summer could do Raith the world of good. You can't keep holding onto players that have proven they're not good enough on multiple occasions. It's not for me to say but if you punted Buchanan, Duggan, Wedderburn, Gillespie, Flanagan, Davidson plus every single one of your keepers you might be able to assemble a reasonable squad with the freed up wages. By jove, you might even sign a right back!

I won't get into the part-time/full-time/hybrid argument again, that's a debate for your board to have depending on whether you can rescue it on Saturday.  

Suspect all but Flanagan will be gone in the summer, and only because he's got another year on his contract and won't get a better offer. Buchanan is apparently a high earner as well.