The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, grumswall said:
3 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:
It was at the Hamilton game today. Still awful news though and hope he makes a quick and full recovery. 

Aww. Wish him a speedy recovery aswell. Can only be mid 40s?

42 apparently. That would be right as it's coming up 25 years since THAT save from Alan Lawrence and he was 17 at the time. 

Of you are giving Vaughan goal of the season for that diving header V the pars then there should be a sub category for assist of the season for Duggans cross

Without a doubt, Duggan’s cross was sumptuous. It’s unfortunate that he’s always injured.

22 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Thoughts for the Montrose game? Keep trying for 2nd place or play an understrength team and rest the likes of King Kev Nisbet?

I would rest some players. Particularly given it isn’t in our hands to finish 2nd. No point playing a full strength team, risking injuries and still finishing 3rd. However, with the players we have coming back from injury and needing minutes it would still be a pretty strong side.

Aside from the financial side I don’t see a huge benefit to finishing 2nd over 3rd. If we finish 3rd, we should take a big travelling support up to Forfar on the Saturday if we are in still in the tie after the first leg which could help. First leg away runs the risk of the tie being dead before the second leg as per last year which ruins any home advantage.

I would play something like this to give players returning from injury minutes and rest some others:

Lyness

Watson

Bene

McKay

Murray

McGuffie

Wedderburn

Gillespie

Flanagan (if he’s fit)

Smith/Bowie

Duggan

That gives Bene, Murray, Gillespie, Wedderburn, Flanagan and Duggan much needed minutes under their belts. Also gives Crane, Davo, Barjonas, Gullan, Matthews, Buchanan and Nisbet a rest. There isn’t many from that list that should be guaranteed starters but we know most of them are so keep them fresh.

Edited by R.R.FC

32 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I would rest some players. Particularly given it isn’t in our hands to finish 2nd. No point playing a full strength team, risking injuries and still finishing 3rd. However, with the players we have coming back from injury and needing minutes it would still be a pretty strong side.

Aside from the financial side I don’t see a huge benefit to finishing 2nd over 3rd. If we finish 3rd, we should take a big travelling support up to Forfar on the Saturday if we are in still in the tie after the first leg which could help. First leg away runs the risk of the tie being dead before the second leg as per last year which ruins any home advantage.

I would play something like this to give players returning from injury minutes and rest some others:

Lyness

Watson

Bene

McKay

Murray

McGuffie

Wedderburn

Gillespie

Flanagan (if he’s fit)

Smith/Bowie

Duggan

That gives Bene, Murray, Gillespie, Wedderburn, Flanagan and Duggan much needed minutes under their belts. Also gives Crane, Davo, Barjonas, Gullan, Matthews, Buchanan and Nisbet a rest. There isn’t many from that list that should be guaranteed starters but we know most of them are so keep them fresh.

I would like to see Valentine given a chance at LB, been impressed any time ive seen him with the U21s. I find it strange they recalled him from his loan and he's not even featured on the bench.

20 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m always keen on young players getting game time, but the fact Valentine couldn’t get into one of the worst SPFL teams of all time isn’t a good sign.

He can't be worse than Crane surely?

34 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’m always keen on young players getting game time, but the fact Valentine couldn’t get into one of the worst SPFL teams of all time isn’t a good sign.

And according to Berwick fans looked out of his depth when he did come on. 

17 minutes ago, Athlete29 said:

He can't be worse than Crane surely?

Crane is hopeless but I'm confident he'd be able to hold his own at Berwick.

I wouldn't let Nisbet near the pitch on Saturday and I'd probably rest Buchanan as well. Play Duggan and Bowie up front. I would hope Duggan gets some game time in the Fife Cup this week as well.

Personally, I'd keep Nizzy out. Montrose have been a bunch of hatchet men so far, especially the lad Watson. No point risking him. Give game time to Duggan.

Exactly.

If It was against anyone other than Forfar or Montrose then aye play him.

Montrose know the only glimmer of hope we have for the playoffs is Nisbet. They’ll be out targeting him. Get rid of him, and that’s one less team they need to worry about.

I reckon a fit Duggan can cause problems. We’re finishing 3rd anyway as Forfar have had a strong run in. No way will they want to relinquish 2nd. Keeping Nizzy on the bench is imperative until the play offs