The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I watched them yesterday. That second goal was something else....

Wasn't just the mix up between the two. Chance looked gone after the Morton guy didn't immediately cut the ball back into the middle. Defender in the centre should've covered it but it seemed to pass right behind him.

No matter, we'll manage to top it at some point soon.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Wasn't just the mix up between the two. Chance looked gone after the Morton guy didn't immediately cut the ball back into the middle. Defender in the centre should've covered it but it seemed to pass right behind him.

No matter, we'll manage to top it at some point soon.

Yeah that bit was as bad as the mix up in its own way. The guy seemed to stand there mesmerized while the ball rolled past him and straight to the Morton boy.

Mcglynn has to take some responsibility regarding losing some of the games but no one can deny injuries have played a huge part in our season. Put it another way would Arbroath have coped without Linn, obrien, swankie, Thomson missing for large parts of the season? They have basically had the same 11 for the whole season apart from the last few weeks where only Linn has been missing with 2 loses and a draw i think

It's quite likely that John McGlynn  thought that with already having  Davo, Murray and Bene that once he brought in Crane that we'd be solid enough at the back.

He was very wrong! His biggest mistake was not rectifying that in January, yes the injury situation has been horrendous but that doesn't excuse bringing in the powder puff Barjonas or awarding a longer contract to the fairly ineffectual Flanagan neither of which have the ability to win the ball or hold their own in midfield. On the subject of midfield I'd say Gillespie has been disappointing too.

A poor midfield and a too easily overwhelmed defence has been the catalyst to why we are where we are.

To a degree I tend to agree with others that if Vaughan and Hendry had stayed fit and been causing opposition midfields problems we'd have leaked fewer goals.

That’s not true at all tbh. Attacking players and ones who can control a game and retain possession like Hendry and Vaughan can obviously effect the defensive side of things. We would also be able to implement a totally different shape with them.
Some facts regarding us ‘shipping goals all season even when they were fit’ erm...no actually.
With Hendry we conceded on average a goal every 82 minutes which is a clear improvement.
However, the really interesting comparison is with Vaughan which highlights his obvious impact to us. Without him, we have played (roughly) 2400 minutes, conceding 41 goals. In the 672 minutes he has played we have conceded 5 goals. Meaning the averages are as follows:
Without Vaughan - A goal conceded every 58 minutes
With Vaughan - A goal conceded every 135 minutes. Actually an even more impressive every 151 minutes if we’re only counting games since JM took over.
I’d say that’s fairly conclusive.

I’d started looking at this earlier but you’ve summed it up a million times better than I could. Cheers.

Who’d have thought having our better players available would of led to better results?

It's quite likely that John McGlynn  thought that with already having  Davo, Murray and Bene that once he brought in Crane that we'd be solid enough at the back.
He was very wrong! His biggest mistake was not rectifying that in January, yes the injury situation has been horrendous but that doesn't excuse bringing in the powder puff Barjonas or awarding a longer contract to the fairly ineffectual Flanagan neither of which have the ability to win the ball or hold their own in midfield. On the subject of midfield I'd say Gillespie has been disappointing too.
A poor midfield and a too easily overwhelmed defence has been the catalyst to why we are where we are.
To a degree I tend to agree with others that if Vaughan and Hendry had stayed fit and been causing opposition midfields problems we'd have leaked fewer goals.
The likes of barjonas were only ever brought in due to hendry being injured and leaving that void to fill. On paper barjonas should be good enough at this level, but he hasn't shown it. Much in the way hendry didn't really last season either. Flannagan was given a new contract due to his contract running out in January and he went through a good spell. I reckon that had alot to do with Armstrong taking the focus off of him, giving him more time on the ball etc though. Iv argued in the past that there may not have been a rb available when mcglynn had a budget to bring one in aswell.

Regardless of his faults this season, he has been having to rectify the mistakes of Smith from the start. Be that an imbalanced squad or the ott pre season the players seem to have had, resulting in so many injuries throughout the season. He's went so far as to bring in a fitness coach (his name escapes me and he's doing it for heehaw!) to rectify this, but the damage was done.

In a weird and wacky way, in a few weeks time we could end up helping to relegate Brechin to League 2 and get revenge against Alloa in the play-offs.

Wont happen, but it’s a funny old game....

In a weird and wacky way, in a few weeks time we could end up helping to relegate Brechin to League 2 and get revenge against Alloa in the play-offs.
Wont happen, but it’s a funny old game....

And all while McKinnon leads Falkirk to automatic relegation?

Sign me up for that. It would be worth every second of the last 3 years of guff we've put up with.

That's the one. Think he was at hearts under levein, in his first stint.

Yeah he was at Hearts, followed Csaba Laszlo to Belgium when he went there after he left Hearts.
He worked under Paul Hartley at Alloa, Dundee and Falkirk I think too.
Certainly been around, he’s a good guy though and highly rated for getting the players fit.

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

If this season ended up with Ray Mckinnon, Barry Smith, Lewis Toshney and now Dunfermline getting relegated with us going up..... 

It will never ever happen, but now I really want it to :lol:

:lol: If you had asked me a few weeks ago i would have said Dunfermline were home and dry in the championship for another year aswell.  

From a selfish point of view, you boys staying down, and Dunfermline coming down would make for a cracking season next year  

57 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

:lol: If you had asked me a few weeks ago i would have said Dunfermline were home and dry in the championship for another year aswell.  

From a selfish point of view, you boys staying down, and Dunfermline coming down would make for a cracking season next year  

Careful what you wish for: Dunfermline fans down here with the Falkirk fans...... would make match threads between Rovers and the Fife look positively civil and intelligent.