The New Raith Rovers Thread

Going part time and “signing up the best part time players going” won’t be as easy as some like to make out when they’d have Alloa and Arbroath as options in the league above us.

Edinburgh City and Peterhead. Not saying we won't lose to either of these teams if they get promoted and we don't, but f**k me. 
-10 virtue points. 

Let’s see what McGlynn does in the transfer market eh!

From being in the Championship play offs beating Hibs and stopping Rangers winning the title on our patch to being fearful of sharing a league with Edinburgh City and Peterhead in 4 seasons? Impressive stuff even for us.

Next season is a concern but more due teams coming down from the other direction. The possibility of sharing a league with the likes of Falkirk and Partick is a nightmare. There’s enough to panic about without making absolute nonsense claims. Edinburgh City FFS...

Oh dear - “after 3 seasons” - you haven’t followed the Rovers very long, have you.

All my life near enough. Apart from the Anelka/Dalziel fiasco I thought nothing could be worse. But the Gary F Locke/Yogi F Hughes debacle was the beginning of the shitstorm. Ie the gutless relegation season

Just reading this and thought I’d chip in regarding the teams that could possibly be in League One next season.

Peterhead certainly haven’t destroyed League Two. If we hadn’t had points deducted (without taking into account the knock on effect of the announcement of that being on a Saturday morning as we travelled up to Elgin) we would be 1 goal behind them in the table. We’ve certainly more than matched them in our previous few meetings too. They’re a good side - very streetwise with some decent skill as well who I’m sure would hold their own in League One.

Clyde are, of course, the team I’ve seen most of this season and it’s been a great season for us, building off the back of our great form towards the end of last season. We’ve got quite a young team that have shown a lot of character this season (I think it’s something silly like 16 goals we’ve scored in the last ten minutes of games) and we’ve picked up the most away wins in the country. We’ve got a few experienced heads in John Rankin, Kevin Nicoll and David Goodwillie and always try to play good football. On the pitch at least, we’ve lost one game since October (and that was on the back of the points deduction announcement). I think we’ve shown ourselves to be a really good team and if we were a) to get promoted and b) keep the team together, we could catch a few teams by surprise.

Edinburgh are another big and strong team from what I have seen with another few well known faces in Conrad Balatoni, Josh Walker, Danny Handling and Marc Laird. Blair Henderson has scored loads of goals this season and has been in League Two for a while. Truthfully, he never impresses me but you can’t argue with his record. They started the season brilliantly but since about December their form has been pretty rotten and (I touch wood as I say this given we’re most likely playing them) they’re not going into the play offs with much momentum at all. It was no shock that Albion Rovers beat them yesterday.

Finally, Annan, choosing my words carefully, are a physical big bunch. They were late bloomers but in fairness to them, have also enjoyed a good run of form during the second half of the season. They know every trick in the book (not a criticism) and managed to get our goalkeeper send off recently with an outrageous piece of play acting. They are however, clearly an effective outfit and Peter Murphy deserves credit for doing a great job on a limited budget. They’d be my outside bet for getting through the play offs but they don’t worry me hugely based on what I’ve seen this season.

1320Lichtie is absolutely correct however that outside, possibly even the top three teams, the rest of our league is dross. However, any of the teams with a chance of coming up could certainly hold their own IMHO.

Pointless post, I’m aware, especially seeing as you may not even be in League One next year!

Edited by Scott-Replay

Peterhead have a good team and probably would have walked the league had the had a better manager in charge. Mcinally has always been a manager who seemed to have a better reputation then what his record suggests he should. Clyde could easily have won the league but for the points deduction and have the potential, as the have shown in the past, to be in the higher leagues.

My point was that if we stay in this league then the teams replacing the others going up and down could and probably will be better. Yes we should have nothing to fear from them but this season we've taken as many points off Brechin and Stranraer as the have us and lost away to Montrose who came up. Last season we dropped 4 points at to Albion. Forfar came up 2 seasons ago and we've taken 1 point away at them in 4 games.

Not saying we should be scared or fearful of any teams in the league next season if we're still here but you can't deny the league will be stronger than this season. It's not pessimism or negativity just realism.