The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looking at those pics, Falkirk have by far the hardest run-in and will probably finish in the bottom 2. I’d love it if we can relegate Ray McKinnon. The atmosphere would be outstanding.

QotS have the easiest run-in IMO. They should have enough to stay up.

I’d take Morton or Falkirk in the playoffs before Alloa though. Alloa would give me the fear tbh, after last year as Jim Goodwin knows exactly how to set his teams up against us.

Whatever happens though, I’m actually starting to look forward to the playoffs. A bit more optimistic going into them this year under McGlynn than I was last year under Smith.

United and County will have foot off the gas by the time Falkirk play them I think

United fans I work with already wanting the play offs to roll around

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

United and County will have foot off the gas by the time Falkirk play them I think

United fans I work with already wanting the play offs to roll around

You could well be right, but it will largely depend on how far clear or otherwise United are from Inverness and Ayr. Far bigger incentive to bust a gut to finish 2nd in the championship than league one. 

6 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Does Lyness not have a non promotion clause in his contract? Could well be another two 'keepers we need in the summer unless mcguff is capable of stepping up .

Yeah he does, all depends if he has any offers though. 

When Mcguff played at Cove it was like when two mascots are having a kick about before the game, and one of them has a shot in goals. 

Next season's budget pumped on an additional 'keeper already. Good stuff. 

This is why the hybrid system needs to happen. We’re already paying for perma crocks in Vaughan and Duggan, now Thomson. What’s Neil Parry doing at the end of the Season?

With money tight and players already injured for the start of next season we need to think about a mass clearout including many of our youth that needed to make the step up this season and have struggled in reserve football.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

This is why the hybrid system needs to happen. We’re already paying for perma crocks in Vaughan and Duggan, now Thomson. What’s Neil Parry doing at the end of the Season?

Not sure why the 'hybrid' system would help here. Duggan would still be injured on a part time wage, and let's be fair to get close to signing a good part time player we'd have to be getting on for paying them close to what we pay some of our full timers. Injuries happen, and we've been badly exposed to that this year. Ultimately the club have to make a call on whether the risk of injury exceeds the utility of the player when fit. In Vaughan's case I'd say his utility still exceeds the risk. Not so for Duggan, in my opinion. Thompson we are stuck with.

Edited by renton

Not sure why the 'hybrid' system would help here. Duggan would still be injured on a part time wage, and let's be fair to get close to signing a good part time player we'd have to be getting on for paying them close to what we pay some of our full timers. Injuries happen, and we've been badly exposed to that this year. Ultimately the club have to make a call on whether the risk of injury exceeds the utility of the player when fit. In Vaughan's case I'd say his utility still exceeds the risk. Not so for Duggan, in my opinion. Thompson we are stuck with.

I understand that, but the hospital bills are stacking up. Vaughan and Duggan have been injured for most of the season we can’t keep this up. Most of the quality part timers are on long deals at their representative clubs anyway. We’ll struggle and get half arsed journeymen again next season

Neil Parry would be a quality addition, one of the best keepers I’ve seen in the lower leagues.

Neil Parry would be a quality addition, one of the best keepers I’ve seen in the lower leagues.
States on Alloa website that the only reason they got Parry when they did was that Airdrie decided to go Full time. Obviously has a decent job out of the game. Mcglynn has run with part time keepers in the past though.

Would be happy signing parry, as I said at the end of last season. I based that on the 5 games I seen against Alloa last season though, I have no knowledge of how he has performed this season. If we're talking about 'keepers that have impressed me this season, I'd be happy with MacCallum at forfar and Smith from stenny from what iv seen. I would probably say long at EF is the best' keeper in the league though. I am a fan of Thomson, despite his faults and I haven't seen enough of Lyness to judge if he's worth keeping next season regardless of his contract.

Would be happy signing parry, as I said at the end of last season. I based that on the 5 games I seen against Alloa last season though, I have no knowledge of how he has performed this season. If we're talking about 'keepers that have impressed me this season, I'd be happy with MacCallum at forfar and Smith from stenny from what iv seen. I would probably say long at EF is the best' keeper in the league though. I am a fan of Thomson, despite his faults and I haven't seen enough of Lyness to judge if he's worth keeping next season regardless of his contract.
All these guys are part--time so unless we change our strategy none of them will be signing for us. I've no idea what the circumstances were regarding Jamieson signing for Arbroath but if he was at all interested in remaining full time last summer we should've been all over him.