The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just listened to John Mcglynns post match interview flabbergasted that he thought it was even first half we were all over the place first half and the defence was all sixes and sevens to be honest he’s trying to protect his players especially coming up to the play offs but frankly we have no chance this team haven’t the will and desire in them to have a go at teams can anyone see us beating Forfar over 2 legs? 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Across both divisions, all eight? nine? of the possible teams in the playoffs have one thing in common. On any given day, they can be really quite excellent, or utterly abysmal.

Will it be the Falkirk who, with ten men, thumped Queen of the South 3-0 or the Falkirk who were lucky to get 2 when they shipped 4 to Dunfermline?

The Forfar that lost 4-0 to Brechin, or that put 3 past East Fife?

The Rovers who beat Dunfermline, or the Rovers that lost to Cowdenbeath?

These playoffs are going to be a series of coin-flips. A collection of games settled more by happenstance and good fortune than by skill or endeavour.

Do ya feel lucky, punks?

I'd argue form is important going in, but as Shaughan has flagged up before it's not the be all and end all as Brechin have demonstrated before. 

Of the teams in the division above, I'd be quite happy to see Morton in the playoffs with Alloa getting outright relegated. Morton have a good team, but they're in a bit of a rut at the moment. That of course would imply we'd beat Forfar, which frankly is a bit fanciful. 

Interesting to hear McGlynn say Davidson is still struggling with back problems. Wouldn't surprise me if he retires at the end of the season. 

Just listened to John Mcglynns post match interview flabbergasted that he thought it was even first half we were all over the place first half and the defence was all sixes and sevens to be honest he’s trying to protect his players especially coming up to the play offs but frankly we have no chance this team haven’t the will and desire in them to have a go at teams can anyone see us beating Forfar over 2 legs? 

Yes.

The Forfar play off will go similarl to the Alloa play off last season if we are away first up. Someone mentioned the other day that playing at home first would be a good thing and I would agree with that.
We won't win the play offs regardless so I think we should be more worried about what the likes of Falkirk and Partick, or even QoS and Morton, being relegated will mean for us next season.

What a fucking frustrating team. 

Capable of some lovely football. Mcglynn has absolutely improved that. We have had some lovely and really nice passages of play, and at times if anything we can be guilty of over playing. 

This is all the more frustrating when it's things like a simple pass, cross or clearance which is where we seem to struggle. I think it's commendable that we try to play from the back, but it was obvious from quite early on that in tnr context of yesterday's game, the short goal kick routine wasn't going to work. It was a game where Stenny pressed us high and we're fighting for their lives in this league, which requires a different style of play at times. 

We seem to try to play away from home exactly as we do at home, which may account for some of our failings. Granted, I don't think we have the personnel to play a particularly direct game however. 

If I was being positive I'd say we are starting to grind out results away from home. Dumbarton, East Fife and Stenny are all examples in the last month and a bit where we have won points late on - added to that the 2-2 draw with Stranraer where we came back from 2 down. We still had the shit show at Forfar, but we are fighting our way through some points now. If we had shown that in Quarter 2 then we may have been hanging in there a bit closer to Arbroath. 

The loan thing is frustrating, 4 loan players starting yesterday and none of them look particularly great. I'm a sceptic of how good our own youngsters actually are, but they can't be any worse. And if we are playing young players who aren't actually good, I'd rather they were our own. 

Onto the playoffs next month..... I don't think its all doom and gloom, we are actually starting to grind out results away from home and we are generally dependable at home. If we can not shit the bed in the away leg, we have a decent chance. Whilst form isn't everything, I think we all need to be right behind the side for this. Going into the playoffs not under some massive cloud would be nice, as its happened the last three years with the Mckinnon situation, the awful end to season under Hughes and losing the title so late on under Smith. Would be nice to go into these games refreshed and ready to go after a positive end to the season. 

What a fucking frustrating team. 
Capable of some lovely football. Mcglynn has absolutely improved that. We have had some lovely and really nice passages of play, and at times if anything we can be guilty of over playing. 
This is all the more frustrating when it's things like a simple pass, cross or clearance which is where we seem to struggle. I think it's commendable that we try to play from the back, but it was obvious from quite early on that in tnr context of yesterday's game, the short goal kick routine wasn't going to work. It was a game where Stenny pressed us high and we're fighting for their lives in this league, which requires a different style of play at times. 
We seem to try to play away from home exactly as we do at home, which may account for some of our failings. Granted, I don't think we have the personnel to play a particularly direct game however. 
If I was being positive I'd say we are starting to grind out results away from home. Dumbarton, East Fife and Stenny are all examples in the last month and a bit where we have won points late on - added to that the 2-2 draw with Stranraer where we came back from 2 down. We still had the shit show at Forfar, but we are fighting our way through some points now. If we had shown that in Quarter 2 then we may have been hanging in there a bit closer to Arbroath. 
The loan thing is frustrating, 4 loan players starting yesterday and none of them look particularly great. I'm a sceptic of how good our own youngsters actually are, but they can't be any worse. And if we are playing young players who aren't actually good, I'd rather they were our own. 
Onto the playoffs next month..... I don't think its all doom and gloom, we are actually starting to grind out results away from home and we are generally dependable at home. If we can not shit the bed in the away leg, we have a decent chance. Whilst form isn't everything, I think we all need to be right behind the side for this. Going into the playoffs not under some massive cloud would be nice, as its happened the last three years with the Mckinnon situation, the awful end to season under Hughes and losing the title so late on under Smith. Would be nice to go into these games refreshed and ready to go after a positive end to the season. 

A good positive way of looking at it.

Keep everything crossed that Nisbet doesn’t get injured in the last few games and that this new ‘keeper is up to it and doesn’t get injured. And that no more central defenders get injured. And that we generally avoid injuries and suspensions. And that the loan players turn up in the play-offs. And that we keep some form going.

If we manage to get promoted this season it’ll be a minor miracle. McGlynn should be carried shoulder high through the streets of Raith while people dance and chant the teams names to the heavens.

If I was a goalkeeper and I was a bit superstitious then there’s no danger I’d sign for us.

I was about to post that when I read through the post there. Does anyone have an actual number of how many injuries yous have got per season and how many keepers have been bashed?

2 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

I was about to post that when I read through the post there. Does anyone have an actual number of how many injuries yous have got per season and how many keepers have been bashed?

Over the last five years we've had McGurn, Cuthbert, Brennan, Lennox, Thomson and Wright all spend time out injured. Cuthbert needed to retire, and we had the infamous goalkeeper-gate down at Somerset with Ryan Stevenson starting the match in goals for us. 

Even this season alone we've had an incredible number of injuries. Our two players who looked the most creative in McGlynn's first game at Dumbarton did their ACLs (Hendry and Vaughan), while we've had a daft number who have been out long term injured.  

2 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Saw these on twitter and just wondered who people thought were coming down and who will be in the playoffs. Some end to the season in the Championship

The championship is such a great league. There's definitely a part of me that wants Alloa to stay up, always good to see a part-time team managing to survive with the bigger teams in that league (that opinion is of course completely invalidated if we managed to make the playoffs and end up against Alloa :lol:)